Poll: Do you really care about famous guitars (or amps)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dismalhead, Aug 15, 2019.

What's your interest in famous instruments and equipment?

1. 5. Drool. Total fan, and I'd buy one if I could afford it. I want a replica.

9 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. 4. Awesome that (Joe Blow) played it and did famous stuff with it.

44 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. 3. Meh, I'm middle of the road on this one. It's a nice instrument and I like the famous owner.

53 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. 2. I don't really care, but I guess it's nice. I'll take it if it's free.

53 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. 1. Whatever. It's just a guitar. Fame doesn't translate to physical objects.

47 vote(s)
    21.7%
  6. 0. I like turtles.

34 vote(s)
    15.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh yeah...classic, clever, smart, funny and in perfect harmony! AND they, or at least the Flo and Eddy part, played with Frank Zappa!

brookdalebill and nojazzhere like this.
  2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a strong interest in seeing their guitars in a museum I think. It was before I played guitar but I remember really really loving seeing the Jimi Hendrix exhibit at the music museum in Seattle about 14 years ago. Pretty sure some of his guitars were there.

But I don't care about buying a signature model guitar of an artist or buying anyone else's particular guitar at all.

I'm going to sound like me no matter what.. I don't really subscribe to there being much magic in a particular guitar unless there is something wrong with mine and not with that famous guys.

And I bet there are famous guitars like say a SRV Strat that I wouldn't get along with at all due to massive strings & high action being his supposed preference. (I don't really like Strats anyway though!)

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

From the perspective of seeing the auctions of stars guitars, or wishing I could have one, I like the turtles better than the news about big money paid for those particular historic objects.

From the perspective of all the great work an artist did with a guitar like Gilmours black Strat or whatever, I would be interested to handle the guitar and see the mods and unmods because I do mods and unmods as well as play music, and there's a lot of history in their that equates to the personal relationship between artist, tools and music.
    When it turns into headlines about millions paid I'm back to the turtles.

From the perspective of artists sig models, I really don't care but if the guitar is nice I won't scrape their name off the headstock.
    If it was almost perfect I'd leave the sig but change the parts that were not my favorite.

An original guitar owned by an important artist and used on important writing and/ or recordings, I would not change anything.
    Not really sure what I'd do with a guitar like that, probably sell it if it was worth big money.

I would not ask a player to sign my guitar, and if I bought a guitar signed by a star I'd probably wish the sig would hurry up and wear off.

4. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

There's a little bit of overlap, but collectors and players are, in general, very different breeds.

5. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

I’m in the minority. Here’s my homemade Old Black and my Muddy Waters Tribute...
    B04941E2-11DF-4C37-9915-21B7BB6C3096.jpeg

And if I could afford it I’d have a replica of one of these...
    48CDC51A-22EA-47CD-B1A4-755F6C3FF05E.jpeg
    531BF07A-CF7D-47EE-AE92-FFA19C894DC4.jpeg
    35800357-98F5-4F8C-BA08-86E218A3680E.jpeg

And if I was filthy rich I’d own the real ones!

6. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

The only guitar I have ever felt that way about was Roy Buchanan's "Nancy".
    Other than that...

Greggorios likes this.
  7. intensely calm

intensely calm Tele-Meister

In general I have very little interest in what an artist plays once they are an "artist".
    I find more interest in what they played before anyone heard of them.
    Maybe that makes it more relatable to me.

JuneauMike likes this.
  8. fretWalkr

fretWalkr TDPRI Member

Yeah, I would be kind of starry eyed to see the strat Hendrix used on Little Wing and Wind Cries Mary, or the Beano Les Paul, or Bloomfield's burst Les Paul. I guess that's why they have museums.

I wouldn't want to own anything that valuable, tho. I would worry about it so much that it would end up owning me.

JuneauMike likes this.
  9. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Great thread. Those votes look neck-and-neck. Guess that would qualify as a "controversial subject."

Go Turtles!

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd really, really, like to have Hank Williams's 1944 Martin D-28. I don't give a rat's patootie about it belonging to Hank, I'd like to have it because it's a genuine Brazilian rosewood D-28.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Paul in Colorado and PlainAllman like this.
  11. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I get the collector angle to instruments that were used by famous musicians, but guitars aren't talismans to me. I voted #2.

12. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

I'm a big fan of using an instrument's provenance to raise money for a worthy charity, but otherwise....eh.

A friend of mine once remarked that all the benchmarks we have for "perfect" guitar tone were created with off the shelf gear plugged in with cheap cables. Unless you're a weirdo like Eddie Van Halen or Frank Zappa who's cobbling your own gear together or constantly modding stuff, Most famous and celebrity owned guitars are pretty unremarkable.

If someone else looking to buy a white three-pickup electric guitar had walked into Manny's a day earlier, Jimi would've played a different Strat at Woodstock and sounded the same.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

I get where you're coming from, but how realistic is that condition? It would be beyond simple good fortune, to flat out "I'm taking advantage of someone who has no idea as to the market value of what they have." The way I look at it, I've already said no to this a few times, when semi-famous (but well loved by me) local players at various points in my life listed gear for sale. If we're talking about someone super-famous, those prices would be astronomical, and not fit into a budget that's really a budget in the sense that it isn't just a different way of saying "I'm really rich." And if we're talking 5 grand or so (which would have to be the absolute bottom end for something owned by a full on rock star), I could say with great honesty that I'd rather have a guitar or three that fit my specs and preferences for that price than one owned by a player I liked a lot.

14. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

...oh, and I don't get interested in "signature" models, but I do like artist models - meaning full on distinct designs, as opposed to specs within a given model. I have two EBMM St. Vincents, but no sig Teles. I like the EBMM Albert Lee/Axis (and later EVH Wolfgang), and the Brian May Red Special. If the player makes design choices that interest me, then I dig it. If it's a modded classic model, I don't need the signature. I'll mod my own. There is middle ground, of course.

One of my best player buddies owns 4 sig Fenders. To each one's own.

15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

That may be a bit of projection there. Playing the instrument that a famous star once played would be peak Country Club Bro. Owning Jerry Garcia's guitar would be like having a buffalo head on your wall. Yeah, that's pretty much what it looked like when it was alive, but all the magic and the majesty were bled out on the prairie floor out of your reach (I liked Jim Irsay a lot better when he was spending all his money on coke and defensive ends).

And owning a "signature" guitar just seems to me to be like having a Batman lunch box. A very expensive Batman lunchbox. Eh, ok, but you're still not Batman.

I'm old enough to know myself and I know I'm not lying. I suspect lots of others in this thread are equally self aware.

aging_rocker likes this.
  16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If somebody said, "Here's a guitar you like for $400, and here's one you like just as much for $425; the only difference being, this one is from the private collection of [fill in the blank with a player you like]."
    Would you do it?
    If the answer is yes, you're on the road to caring about famous people's guitars.
    You may start a collection, but you'll NEVER have the Walt Hofmeister '51 Deluxe!
    51 deluxe 2.jpg

17. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I guess I have owned a famous person's piece of gear. I had a red knob Twin George Benson purportedly rented from a music store in Nashville and played at a gig there. Of course, I never sounded much like George Benson through it (except when I played Breezin'! at least in my own head). I bought it not because I wanted a talisman that once belonged to him, but because I thought I wanted a red knob Twin. I later sold it, because it was like moving a big wood paneled tv from the 70s every time I played a gig.

All that said, I have an interest in the type of guitar so-and-so played. I'd love to have a gold glitter Strat like Dick Dale had, but I wouldn't get his signature model, because it's way pricey for what is essentially just a Strat as far as I am concerned. I WOULD get a gold glitter Strat and play his and other tunes on it and have a blast, however!

StrangerNY likes this.
  18. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I take a lot of interest in guitars. I got to go to the Gilmour showing the day before the auction. I've been to Play It Loud twice, and will probably go back a couple more times before it's done.

I like looking at them. Would I spend a wheelbarrow full of cash to buy one? Probably not.

I've been lucky enough to get my hands on a few guitars that sold for pretty exorbitant prices, but it took me a lot of years and it's not something I get to do every day.

One of them is peripherally connected to someone famous - it was ordered from and later returned to the builder by a member of the Stones. But I didn't buy it because of that - I bought it because it's a really good sounding and playing guitar. The Stones connection is a nice little story, but if the guitar didn't play and sound as good as it does it wouldn't have come home with me.

- D

dlew919 likes this.
  19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the only famous guitar I would want to own is Jerry Garcia's Strat that he used in the early '70's. I used to see him play it in his bar band with Merl Saunders a lot and I've always loved the sound of it. But I'd be happy with about any natural finish '50's Start. I had one get away from me. It's more the guitar then the connection to a famous player.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

And their drummer (Johnny Barbata) played with the original Jefferson Starship.

Tony Rice let me play Clarence White's D-28 with the enlarged soundhole. I didn't know it was his at the time or I may have fainted. But I like it when good players get to play good instruments previously owned by famous guitarists. Like Warren Haynes using Jerry Garcia's "Wolf" guitar or up and coming classical violinists who are loaned great old Italian violins. I think it's sad to see great instruments locked up and not being played even if it's in a museum. Let great new music come from those instruments!

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.