Poll: Do you really care about famous guitars (or amps)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dismalhead, Aug 15, 2019.

What's your interest in famous instruments and equipment?

1. 5. Drool. Total fan, and I'd buy one if I could afford it. I want a replica.

9 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. 4. Awesome that (Joe Blow) played it and did famous stuff with it.

44 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. 3. Meh, I'm middle of the road on this one. It's a nice instrument and I like the famous owner.

53 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. 2. I don't really care, but I guess it's nice. I'll take it if it's free.

53 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. 1. Whatever. It's just a guitar. Fame doesn't translate to physical objects.

47 vote(s)
    21.7%
  6. 0. I like turtles.

34 vote(s)
    15.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

I’m interested in what famous musicians play because I’m interested in learning how they do certain things. How to get a certain tone or play particular chords or licks. Because of those types of things I am interested in knowing about famous guitars or amps but not necessarily owning them. Maybe owning a similar model or at least the same pickups to try and approximate the tone.

As far as people paying big money for collectibles I have no problem with that. It’s their money they earned so they can do whatever they want with it. Like someone mentioned earlier most of the time all that money usually goes to charity anyway. I think it’s pretty dang generous of someone to basically donate tens or hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars for a guitar that would otherwise only be worth a few thousand at most if not for the fame part.

Chip and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Collectors and investors don't concern themselves with what average people think. They are a group of people who buy expensive and or rare things because of what they are. Rare.
    A '59 Les Paul Sunburst is out of the range of most people. So, most people choose to discount it's usefulness and even it's value.
    It's "just a guitar".
    That's right, it's just a guitar. To most people. But to some it is the Holy Grail of their collection.
    And, believe it or not, some '59s sound great and play great and are beautiful when looked at up close.

As far as instruments that have been owned by famous people and used on famous recordings and/or famous performances, their value and usefulness is up to the individual.
    Some people have never heard of Lowell George. So, they wouldn't value one of his guitars any more than a standard model they could get on Craigslist.
    I knew Lowell and played a few of his Strats. The ones that were average he would sell or give away. The good ones he kept and played all the time. The "good ones" blew me away. Not because of being owned by Lowell, but because of how they sounded. They rang like bells and sustained like crazy. Even when unplugged. I would love to have one of those for two reasons. One, because of how it sounded, and two, because my friend Lowell played it and loved it. It would have a lot of value to me.
    I could have had one of those Strats had I asked for it. He was very generous. But I didn't want to take something from him that he needed and used. And people stole his guitars every time he turned around. I hate thieves.
    The same with his Dumble ODR amp. That amp ruined me for any other amp since the day I played through it. It is the sound I hear in my head, and the sound I listen for in amps I use. So far, nothing comes close and I doubt it ever will. Even Lowell said, "that amp is a freak of nature. It sounds like heaven".

I played one of Jerry Garcia's Strats after a show they did. He made it sound wonderful. I didn't like anything about it. The neck was bowed, the action was very high, the pickups were weak sounding, and it looked like a dog had been chewing on it.
    I would love to own that guitar. I would pay more for it than a regular Strat off of Craigslist. Why? Because Jerry owned it and played it and liked it and made magic with it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Wildcard_35, StrangerNY, Chip and 4 others like this.
  3. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

I’ve always liked a lot of Tele players and Gretsch players, so I naturally gravitate toward those sounds. The tones they make inspire me to no end.

However, I have no need for an actual guitar played by any certain so and so. I’m also a regular person without millions of dollars to blow on crap i don’t need.

I like my guitars because I’ve done work to everyone of them to make them feel and sound the way I want them to.

4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I like individual instruments - as in actual instruments that were played exclusively or almost exclusively. But only to a point. Andy summers telecaster or Bill Monroe’s mandolin or Brian Mays red special. That type of thing.

Jerry Garcia’s 23rd strat or JIMI hendrix Gibson? Nah not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Guilty

[​IMG]

Wildcard_35, Alamo and 24 track like this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

RoyBGood likes this.
  7. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Nice save there... ;)

I barely give a toss about what (if anything) is on the headstock of a guitar.

But, if I had the opportunity to play a guitar previously owned/played by a legendary player, sure I'd want to have a go with that. But the ownership wouldn't make it sound any better, although presumably it would have had some serious setups and attention so it should be sweet to play.

I think it's wonderful that folks like Gilmour auction stuff off for charity (he's done that a few times over the years, I think there was a house in Chelsea...) and that there are people with enough money to play that game.

8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I really couldn't care less.

Fendereedo and DekeDog like this.
  9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

I do not think any mojo intrinsically resides into one guitar, but I do believe some mojo can come from the psychological effect a guitar can have on you. And this can definitely inspire you to play better and create more music.

Where this psychological effect comes from is up to you. Although I’ve never owned nor played a guitar that once belonged to a famous musician I admire, I can see how this could have an effect on me.

dlew919 likes this.
  10. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i once bought and used a replica orange acrylic drum kit in john bonham sizes for a while. pretty much everyone commented on the fact that the band didn't do zeppelin covers or that my drumming didn't sound like bonham's.
    it was one of the shortest lived drum kits i've ever owned and a valuable lesson to never, ever, play an instrument that is recognisable to someone famous as the weight of expectation from others will kill your enjoyment of it.

nojazzhere and dlew919 like this.
  11. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

It's not upsetting or anything, but I don't care. People are funny, and what makes them funny varies by point of view.

12. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I’m going to go out on a limb and say most of the posters on this thread are lying to themselves. Would I pay hundreds of thousands for an instrument of a player I like? Absolutely not.

But, to say I’m flat out not interested, or that I would pass if one came across my good fortune for a price within my budget would be ridiculous.

Paul in Colorado and PBO Blues like this.
  13. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

i thought i was'nt interested in celeb guitars but,i would not mind one of those buddy guy polka dot fenders.

14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I will admit I am a fan of Ibanez Artust guitars because of Bob Weir. I don't own one because they weigh as much as a Buick.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Good point. I once had an opportunity to buy one of the replicas of Brian May's Red Special. It felt good and balanced on a strap. But two main things stopped me......I don't like guitars with fifty MILLION different switches and pickup combinations.....and everyone would likely have expected me to play and sound like Brian May......and I don't. So, I passed.....and never regretted it.

16. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I have no opinion on this at all. So, if you need me I'll be outside chewing on a box of Turtles.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  18. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill TDPRI Member

Meh. I could play Kirk Hammet's LP that he bought from Gary Moore that he bought from Peter Green and it would still sound awful.

I suspect that if Peter green played my Les Paul he'd still sound good.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I guess, to distill my, uh feelings, I care, but don’t covet.

StrangerNY likes this.
  20. speranza

speranza TDPRI Member

This isn't quite what you're asking, but I find it kind of liberating that the most expensive guitar ever sold is essentially a partscaster — the Gilmour Black Strat is a refinished '70 sunburst that's on its seventh neck, with the bridge from a different '71 Strat, aftermarket pickups and electronics, and all kinds of patchy repairs. The moral of the story, for me, is: shut up and play your guitar.

aging_rocker and Wildcard_35 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.