Poll: Do you really care about famous guitars (or amps)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dismalhead, Aug 15, 2019.

What's your interest in famous instruments and equipment?

1. 5. Drool. Total fan, and I'd buy one if I could afford it. I want a replica.

9 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. 4. Awesome that (Joe Blow) played it and did famous stuff with it.

44 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. 3. Meh, I'm middle of the road on this one. It's a nice instrument and I like the famous owner.

53 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. 2. I don't really care, but I guess it's nice. I'll take it if it's free.

53 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. 1. Whatever. It's just a guitar. Fame doesn't translate to physical objects.

47 vote(s)
    21.7%
  6. 0. I like turtles.

34 vote(s)
    15.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

You know, with all the stuff about famous guitarists selling their prized, famous guitars going on, I was just thinking that I don't really care. I mean, I guess it's kinda cool that so-and-so played X on Y tour or album. But I see it more as just another guitar that (hopefully) is functionally great. So I'm gonna rate my interest in famous instruments as a 2/5 and post a poll to see if I'm in the minority here.

pixeljammer, jvin248 and NewKid like this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like styles. I don't really look at who played 'em. Sometimes someone I like plays a style I like.

Things I like.

Jim603 and Dismalhead like this.
  3. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I AM curious who played what on songs I like, but if somebody told me THIS is the guitar Jimi Hendrix recorded Voodoo Child with (for instance), I don’t think I’d feel goosebumps looking at it.

dlew919, verb boten, jvin248 and 2 others like this.
  4. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Most of these large auction guitar sales are to raise money for charity. I believe that's a good thing.

Some of these guitars might be considered historic in certain circles.

If I had a few billion dollars, I might play.

:D

5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have always believed the historic instruments owned by dynamic personalities such as Les Paul, Chet Atkins should have been placed in a museum and not auctioned off into private sector, same with Johnny Winter , Dave Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Alvin Lee, SRV, I have followed the auctions for these ICONs closely noting their sales prices. I once was an avid believer in owning such instruments ( did you know some of Les Pauls 300 guitars went for less than a new Gibson Les Paul, and what about the guitar that Django Rienhart gave him , the selmer Maccaferri? it never went for auction) ........then 3 things happened

1) I saw the only PRS dragon Left handed ever made for sale on EBAY for 60,000.00USD ,I almost mortgaged my cat. It was spectacular in MOP, Torquise, silver, and gold
    in its case, then the next picture was of some Phat Basturd playing my guitar and the reality set in 60 large is 120 epiphone guitars and I have not had gas since.

2) now I own a 100,000.00 58 gretsch white penguin, what am I going to do with it ........hide it under my bed ? what happens if the market drops because of saturation

3) these are just guitars , thats it, and the market is flooded with them , My 78 ricky 4001 and my 78 american strat are 41 years old and are in fine condition my 70 norland era SG is almost 50 years old and had the crap played out of it ( tire tracks, tattoos,and teeshirts to prove it) but Gawd it plays and sound outstanding

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I vote "I like THE Turtles". (It Ain't Me Babe, Elinor, She'd Rather Be With Me, Happy Together etc.)

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Not even the slightest bit interested. Even signature guitars do nothing for me and in fact I would not buy one even if I liked it. Seems like they are for posers, although a know an excellent local guitarist who rocks a signature guitar, but probably because he found it at a pawn shop.

8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I find that I don't play like them, don't sound like them, younger than all of them, and see no reason to buy the same gear.

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i do actually like turtles ok, but i like frogs better. and frogs are better to eat than turtles. trust me on this.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like turtles, and groovy guitars.
    I’ve owned a few cool instruments with celebrity affiliations.
    Presently, I own a nice gold top LP that once belonged to Peter Stroud, of Sheryl Crow and 65 amps.
    I got it on CL, for an extremely resonable price.
    I have a Les Paul fetish, I’ll admit it.
    I have 4.
    So many of my early guitar heroes played them.
    Dumb reason, I suppose.

11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

For the most part they were all production instruments bought in stores .... the players made them famous

..otherwise someone else would have bought them....and their history would have been forgotten...

12. thunderbyrd

i would like to have the LP that mick taylor played with the stones. i have a fetish for that guitar. i'm queer for that guitar.

uh, no offense intended. maybe i should say, "i experience tumescence at the thought of that guitar."

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really enjoy talking to a player, holding their famous guitar and feeling the mojo...because it's theirs...then handing it back to him or her. The idea of owning it really doesn't interest me because once it's mine...their mojo is kind of gone.

My guitars aren't anything special but I like them!

14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I like guitars.

15. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

I would like to be able to afford a Robin Trower signature Strat.
    But...
    Even if I could afford a Strat that Robin Trower owned, I couldn’t justify the cost.
    There’s a big difference.

16. thunderbyrd

Wait, Wait... you can mortgage Cats?

17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

i tried, but appearently they loose value once you leave the pet store......go figure!

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

But have you had turtle soup? In New Orleans? With a slug of sherry added? I like grilled frog legs, too, but turtle soup.

william tele and pixeljammer like this.
  19. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I kind of take every guitar on an individual basis. I think historically significant instruments are really cool, but if it doesn't play and sound good to me, I would not have much interest in owning it.

cyclopean and Greggorios like this.
  20. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

The history behind some guitars would be cool just dont expect that you will magically sound like a previous owner.

I get the idea behind a historic guitar because to me a guitar can be a living breathing thing on it's own

Amps on the other hand don't really strike me that way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.