POLL - Do you have a tattoo?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, May 30, 2016.

POLL - Do you have a tattoo?

1. I do not have a tattoo, and I do not want one

421 vote(s)
    68.5%
  2. I do not have a tattoo, but I want to get one

26 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. I have one tattoo

59 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. I have more than one tattoo

82 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. I am seriously covered in ink

19 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Do you wish you were tattoo-free ?

8 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd say the majority of people I know have them. I don't know anybody of either gender or in any age group that regrets them.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Why?

How many wealthy or well insured tattoo artists do you know?

No point in suing someone who has already spent all the money they ever had.

The rest of Society will have to pick up the baggage - lawyers will be doing something else, even if a link was established.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I know people who have regretted specific tats (and got them covered or re-done), but none that regret having tattoos.

Rustbucket and Jakedog like this.
  4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I simply "corrected" the quoted phrase as far as the NUMBER of people who have tatoos (from "some" to "most") ...since I don't have a crystal ball I do not know if they will regret having them or not ;)

But I DO know at least 4 Americans with tatoos that HAVE regreted it because they were not allowed in one of the most beautiful onsens in Japan just because the establishment did not allow tatooed people in the premises :D

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  5. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Wow, that has kind of a 3D look to it.

I don't have any. I thought about it years ago, before the big craze began, but never went through with it. Now, it seems like everyone has them, so it isn't really unique anymore.

6. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

I'm tat neutral. I don't have any myself, but I was talking to a friend of mine who works in TV yesterday. He was saying that most of the makeup girls on his show freelance at the weekend doing makeup for brides on their wedding day. And the most frequent request? "Can you cover up this tattoo?"

7. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

8. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

They say I'm a man of my words, I'll show you guys...

CYMERA_20160531_074455.jpg

9. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Chalk it up next to prog rock and relicing as just another thing I don't get.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ow!

That does sting, presented that way.

I thought of it as a good opportunity to see what my Self Discipline skills were like. I gave up red meat for sort of the same reason - to see if I could pull it off.

What makes me chuckle are the folks who work at jobs like the Drivers License Bureau. You're working for The Man. A tattoo doesn't mean much of anything if it isn't at least an outcry against the direction our lives and culture have taken. If you're an Oilfield Worker, Deckhand or Motorcycle Mechanic or do temporary labor, you're barely tolerating The Man. But if you get your check directly from him, how defiant are you really?

Who am I to talk? I just cut off all my hair. :^

11. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I look at tatoos as fashion, and fashion changes. What looks really cool on your 22 year old body in 2016 may not be that cool 30 (or 5) years from now. Clothes you can change; tatoos are a little more complicated.

That being said, I've been thinking about getting a dolphin jumping over a rainbow on my lower back.

[​IMG]

Rustbucket and Jakedog like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

What a way to break 40,000! Was this your FIRST haircut? :D:D:D

Doug 54 and Jakedog like this.
  13. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Never got one, and I never will. No piercings, earrings, gauges, safety pins, dyed hair, or jewelry. Neither my wife nor I wear wedding rings, because we don't like the feeling of a ring. I stopped wearing a watch 30 years ago.

I think tattoos are a trend just like raccoon coats were in the 1920s, and they will soon go the way of crank start cars.

I never quite understood the attraction to ink, but there is still a lot about the world that I don't understand.

There is just no symbol, image, name, or number that I revere enough to want it on my body.

14. Wailin' Tele

Wailin' Tele Tele-Afflicted

IMG_1006.jpg

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

in some indonesian countries there are a special group of shamen that are known as snake men, they go from village to village and remove deadly snakes from the village, and are for all intense are immune to some degree of the toxic venom, the locals reguard these men as almost gods due to their unique talents, film crew was able to witness the the elaborate tatoo procedure that these men endure on the road to being a shaman. Each shaman has a tatoo of the particular serpent that he is able to handle, without doing harm to himself. it goes like this:

The head shawman captures the snake to be represented in the tatoo there is a cerimonial handling of the snake ( Cobra, Krait, ETC.). the snake has its venom milked from the fangs
    the tatoo artist mixes the venon into the (i believe) charcoal based tatoo ink and proceeds to do the tatoo , this injects the venom into the tatoo allowing the wearer to build antibodies for that particular snake, and after a few sessions the shamen is able to build an immunity to that snake, Over time the shaman will have several snake tatoos indicative that he able to handle multiple snakes.and if you are familiar with asian tatoos and techniques this comes alot of pain and honor derived from the placement and type of tatoo.

just an FYI on where tatoos play a role in history beyond decorative

Doug 54, tintag27, Rustbucket and 3 others like this.
  16. yojimbo

yojimbo TDPRI Member

this is rad.

Doug 54 likes this.
  17. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I don't have one, but I have been seriously thinking about getting one for a few years now. I am currently considering an image from the cover of the Grateful Dead album Blues for Allah. It has a skeleton in a red robe playing a violin. It would be meaningful for me because I am a Deadhead and a fiddle player. But it would have to be a fairly large tattoo because of the detail in the image, and I don't know if I'm up for that. Also, it would have to be somewhere where it would not show in work clothes, so maybe on the lower leg. I still haven't decided.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

I've been put off by them. In my circles, it seems there's something in the ink. Once someone gets one, good luck getting them to talk about anything else. Worse than a new baby and puppy combined. I don't know how many times someone shoved a tattoo mag in my face with "check this out!!!". I've always wanted to say "looks like that was done by a talented but introverted grade seven kid".

19. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Ok let's see… Well that's Bobby Hill there. That episode, one of my favorites, was written by my best bud J.B. Cook. We knew each other WAY before the show, we started out together as young comics in Dallas. I am born and raised in Texas where the show is set, so Texas Flag Texas. The propane tank, well, Bobby's dad Hank sold propane and propane accessories so that's a big part of the show, with the Strickland propane logo on it. Alamo Beer was the beer brand we made up for the show, the guys were always drinking it and it was constantly featured in episodes. The Hawaiian flower is sort of a humorous thing, I had Corey put in there because they're in so many tats and have nothing to do with the show whatsoever. But the ongoing joke was that Bobby was kinda gay-ish ("The boy ain't right…"), so the flower represents that. "That's my purse I don't know you!" from JB's episode, where Bobby is bullied so he goes to self-defense class - but he ends up in a women's rape prevention self-defense class. So he takes the class and learns to scream "That's my purse! I don't know you!!" followed by a swift kick in the nuts. So he starts doing that to the bullies at school. It's hilarious. This tat never fails to get a big reaction and a laugh. I had Corey add the armadillo because it's Texas and we had several episodes featuring armadillos ("Mr. Crackers!"). And the prickly pear cactus with the yellow flower another quintessentially Texas thing. Several of the cast and writers have tattoos to commemorate their time on the show. It was a 15 year run so the biggest thing in my life and something I shied away from mentioning for years, but I've come to realize I am damn proud of working on that show and it's what I poured my heart and soul in for so long. But I always try to get to know someone before mentioning it, and I feel like I'm getting to know this place now - I LOVE TDRPI! It was a surreal experience considering, all the guest stars, and Tom Petty joined the cast the last 4 years, so I got to hang out with him all day a bunch of times he is funny as ****. I have yet to get a tattoo of the character I had the privilege of voicing "Dale" aka "Rusty Shackelford" on me yet, but I will do so next time I'm out in LA - only where you can't see it so readily. I am going to put this on my upper arm/shoulder…

32a2efd4e0677727607e18e17a96880c.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    faulp, Big_Bend, Rustbucket and 5 others like this.
  20. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I like it. Very transcendentalist of you. The circle knows no end. Transcendentalists erode the very ground they pave. To be non-conformist of something often identifies that uniqueness. That uniqueness can develop into a trend, but as soon as there is conformity amongst a trend, it is and of itself a new conformity and therefore no longer non-conformist in nature.

Oh, and I don't have any tat's, but do want one. Just haven't come up with something that I want to live with for the rest of my life.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.