Polishing scratches on nitro laquer

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by znanjeiimanje, Feb 23, 2020.

1. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

Today I decided to change strings on my AO 50's Tele and stupidly enough I was not careful enough and managed to scratch the headstock with the pegwinder next to the high e string. I learned the lesson the hard way - not to use the pegwinder and pay attention, but for now this scratch (although not too visible) is annoying me quite a bit.

Started googling on possible solutions, I have seen Meguiar Scratch X as the recommended option readily available, but seems that the impressions are mixed as to if it contains silicone or no.

Anyone with the experience of polishing nitro finish with any of the readily available products?

2. 53Strat

53Strat TDPRI Member

I've polished a whole Highway One body with Meguiar's taking the satin finish through to a nice low gloss - no problems with that.

It is still my go to Strat years later.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The only "polish" I am aware of that leaves no silicones or waxes is Stewmac's "Preservation" polish.

But it's unlikely you can "polish" out a finish scratch. You MAY be able to get it with buffing compound (not rubbing compound) or it may need a drop-fill with thin superglue (you can search the procedures for this with Google).

Personally, I'd leave it. You WILL get more of them. It's a guitar., and headstock scratches just happen. The only way to prevent them is not play it and not change strings.

4. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

A nitro finish guitar WILL get nicks, chips,scratches and dents.....

By the you fix that one that's bugging you two more will pop up.

5. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Best to post a pic to see what you mean by a scratch. To some it means the size of a hair, other it is a grand canyon.

I have used Meguiars 2.0 swirl and 305 finish glaze for years on nitro without a single problem with recoating with nitro when the need arises. The 305 is for ultra polish and specifically body shop safe. I used to also use some of their other rough and medium polishes before moving to clay bars and 3M liquid. Meguiars has a whole listing somewhere of body shop safe finishes. I have found them all to work without issue

Eric

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.