Pointers for painting aluminum chassis

dinkyguitar

TDPRI Member
Hi All,

Looking for additional pointers for painting aluminum chassis.

Last time I painted an aluminum part was off my motorcycle.

I scuffed up the aluminum, used etching paint/primer followed by my color...most likely it was rustoleum.

Since I'm going to use white, I was thinking about using an epoxy type paint like this:

dinky

BigDaddy23

Tele-Holic
It’s a good idea to use an aluminium specific primer. They are a must in my experience. I have had good success with the Galmet rattle can range. As with any metal, make sure you clean it down first with methylated spirits or whatever equivalent you have

sds1

Friend of Leo's
Be sure to remove any overspray from the inside in places where you install grounds or want things to ground (like jacks).
Best to mask off not only circuit grounding points, but all panel controls as well. Pot casings can pick up and couple noise into the circuit if not at ground potential. If using tube shields, the socket/shield base will need to be grounded to be effective. Also I've found the standby switch to be noisy to the touch if the bat/casing not on ground.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
Out of curiosity - why do you want the chassis to be white?

Personal preference for anything electronic is powder coating. It's an insulator so you have to accommodate contact areas but that's easy.

DrDeFab

TDPRI Member
I used brake caliper enamel from an auto parts store, which has to be baked to fully cure. I'm pleased with the results. I only did the outside of the chassis, so masking off grounding points wasn't an issue.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
There are complicated procedures for painting aluminum, etching with acid, priming with Zinc Chromate primer etc. I have dealt with them in the aircraft industry.
I will say however, that using the process has not been super effective for me on odd jobs at home or on boats etc. Especially with zinc chromate rattle cans. On one project I used the same brand primer and finish coat and basically the paint stayed a bit gummy for a very long time.
Frankly I've had as good results with normal spray paint and a rough surface at home.

But I would never paint an aluminum chassis. If you need a face plate get one.