Pointed guitar picks that stay sharp

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
I’ve been on an endless guitar pick journey. I enjoy pointed, rigid, and thick guitar picks. I was using Ultex Jazz III 2mm but they weren’t quite thick enough for me but I enjoyed the feel. I was enjoying V-picks for a while but discovered the edge wears down to a rounded shape due to my picking technique and the way acrylic wears.

Are there any pointed guitar picks that hold their sharp tip for a long time? No metal picks please! Those turn my strings into sweater fuzz. I haven’t used the Ultex Jazz a long time and am not sure how it holds up but would like something around 2.5 to 3mm if possible.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Dunlop Primetone 2.5mm and 3.0mm

upload_2021-5-8_10-19-40.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSED9A2/?tag=tdpri-20

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
The 'Flow' is pointed and because they sort of whack the top off of it, I can hold it a bit deeper in the first crook of my index... sort of like a wider jazz III.

I think they only go up to 1.5mm in the Tortex brand, but maybe Dunlop/grips go higher.

There's also a shape like this but with the 'full' 351-style rounded top.

812w3b75H7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

KATT

Tele-Holic
These are not the right thickness, but the angle on the Dunlop Sharp's tip is more acute than the other picks you mentioned so perhaps will remain pointed longer. I used these before I went to the smaller Jazz Tortex
Screenshot_20210508_153307.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210508_152752.jpg
    Screenshot_20210508_152752.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 91

Fixcinater

TDPRI Member
I made some picks using vintage casein buttons...it was a lesson in how smooth the picking surface/bevels need to be to not add a ton of treble/pick noise. They've held up very well basically showing zero wear, even using them on bass. But they have a different tone from Ultex, of course.

Slap Axe

Tele-Meister
If you like the Jazz III, try these, Max Grip Jazz III carbon fiber. I used the green Tortex IIIs for a few years and the points always wore down quickly. I recently picked up a Jazz III variety pack and the carbon fiber was in there. I’ve preferred smooth picks with no grip texture in the past, but these are definitely my new favorite.

I read up on them and it’s some carbon fiber mix, not a full carbon fiber pick, but it has held its point better than any Jazz III I’ve ever used. The point is still there after a few weeks of use on both electrics and acoustics. It’s a thicker material too, very stiff. I’m really lovin’ it.

52899D1A-676C-407B-A70D-5E9144675344.jpeg

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve been on an endless guitar pick journey. I enjoy pointed, rigid, and thick guitar picks. I was using Ultex Jazz III 2mm but they weren’t quite thick enough for me but I enjoyed the feel. I was enjoying V-picks for a while but discovered the edge wears down to a rounded shape due to my picking technique and the way acrylic wears.

Are there any pointed guitar picks that hold their sharp tip for a long time? No metal picks please! Those turn my strings into sweater fuzz. I haven’t used the Ultex Jazz a long time and am not sure how it holds up but would like something around 2.5 to 3mm if possible.

Mine blunt too. Simple fact is you’re dragging some form of plastic up and down across metal strings, some of them wound so as to resemble the surface of a file. One’s gonna wear, that’ll be the plastic one.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve got a ton (maybe 15 or so) V-Pick Screamers that are dull/rounded. They last a long time before the point wears down to a place where they don’t have the bite I like with the Screamers

I would think you could use a fine file to reshape the point but I’m not sure if the effort is worth the $4.00 purchase price

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
Are picks too expensive? I keep a.bunch around for when one wears out I "pick" up a new.one.

Some of the rigid picks I’ve used cost 5 bucks a pop and still wore out on me. I’m just trying to find something that holds the sharp tip longer or is cheap.

mkdaws32

Friend of Leo's
I like regular old Fender Celluloid picks - extra heavy. But with anything, if you go with a harder and more durable material, your strings will pay the price. At my most extreme, I used stainless steel pick and they would literally cut through a the strings in pretty short order. I’ve tried a few less extreme options but eventually settled back on celluloid and just treat them as disposable - new pick every gig/practice session.

Hey_you

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
After reading this post, I took 3 of my worn Dunlop Ultex 2.0 picks and filed em to a point with a StewMac fret file. Worked great and didn't muff the sound or cause other noise. They just seem to dull too fast for me. I also use all the sides of a pick, not just the pointy end.