1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Point me towards a decent laptop.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by gobi_grey, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Audiotrove

Audiotrove TDPRI Member

And I wouldn't be afraid to move over to Mac, they are designed with the idea in mind that people don't need to be tech gurus to run them. It's a really easy platform.

simoncroft likes this.
  2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

aging_rocker likes this.
  3. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Mine's a T490s. My employer provides it...

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The only thing with getting a Mac right now is you're nuts to buy a new Mac laptop with an Intel Processor, the new ones with the Apple M1 are outrageously better.

BUT stuff like audio interfaces & DAW software might need to get updated. DAW software it might not matter, the M1 macs are so fast they still outperform most laptops even if they have to translate the software. But if the drivers aren't there for any interface, etc.. you use then that totally doesn't work.

I got one of the new Macs yesterday.. not necessarily intending to use it for anything music related. I have a 2018 Macbook Pro for work that is completely loaded, like $4000. The new M1 one completely smokes it, never gets hot, and never turns on the fan. Not turning on the fan might be nice in a recording environment. The one I bought cost like 1/2 what the work one costs and it's still no comparison.

Mac is a great platform whether you are a tech guru or a total noob user who knows nothing about computers.

simoncroft likes this.
  5. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I suspect the Lenovo products are very good. I have been using my MacBook Pro 15" (mid 2015) very successfully. Works great with Logic. No issues at all and the screen is great. Just discovered that the battery has "expanded" however, and will be getting a new 16" MacBook pro soon. Kind of a bummer but I have gotten a lot of mileage out of the current one.

simoncroft likes this.
  6. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Macs give you much less bang for the buck, and I feel less control, and they work with a much smaller subset of software. I don't know where this idea that they're easier to work with came from, but it's an outdated notion.

fretWalkr likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

No .. not if you know computers and don't like to have forced upgrades of everything else.

The Mac thing came because Apple focused on the two things very attentively, the educational market and user interface. Beyond there they made appliances so there is never any 'upgrade' short of just buying the whole deal all over again, computer/cables/phones/etc so everything 'just works'.

OP: Take a look on the Linux side of things...

Skully likes this.
  8. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Mine is an E530, but I "think" you missed the pun

aging_rocker likes this.
  9. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I thunk I might have... :twisted:

suthol likes this.
  10. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Meister

Lenovos are more value per $'s IMO. I also use MacBook Pros but they're definitely a lot more expensive. I like having GarageBand on the Mac. I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad X390 with pretty decent specs for my daughter (she needed a good laptop for university) and it's a really nice machine, about half the price of a comparable Mac. (on some sort of sale, but they always seem to be on sale).

11. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

MacBook Air. I've had mine for 7 years with no issues. Comes with user-friendly Garageband recording software.

Audiotrove likes this.
  12. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Check some of the custom guys like xotic and hidevolution. You can get an i7-10, 32gb ram and 2 ssd for less than $1500. I think I may be going this route pretty soon.

M

klasaine likes this.
  13. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

In my experience, the most popular platform/ecosystem for music creation is Mac and rarely been anything else, BUT!!

I'd advise not to choose a platform before trying the different software that tickles your fancy. It's way too common to decide a platform then figure out what to run on it, and that can curtail creative ambition. I'd advise be guided by the creative application first and the platform will follow.

PC offers a myriad of configurations, bewildering software choices and greater bang-for-buck. Lenovo are the leading manufacturer in this space having bought IBM's ThinkPad business years back. Pros, especially for high-end visuals, use HP desktop and laptop.

Apple (Intel based) and Boot Camp cover lots of ground making it appealing to creatives who want access to native OSX apps, but also access Windows environments in a properly supported way. Just be wary that the new M1 is not supported by a great many 3rd party software developers yet. It will be though.

In the end, you are unlikely to make a mistake buying a Mac for music, but you could if you bought a PC laptop....only to discover your penchant for Logic Pro X :)

14. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Used 2015 Macbook Pro, the one with all the ports. I think I got mine for $450 used and it is more than I'll ever need for casual, novice home recording and general utility.

klasaine likes this.
  15. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Good advice.
    Craig and Marketplace are your friends.
    Look for ones with huge RAM, usually gamer type devices, or business devices.
    There is probably someone in your area who gets laptops off lease from businesses, wipes them, reloads them, and sells them.
    Sometimes they need a new battery, but use your judgment.
    Buying a new laptop is like buying a new car--you have a sign that says "Sucker" on you.
    Good luck.

16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Sorry, but I don't think that can be true - I've been using this laptop for years and it only has a SS drive, meaning it is constantly overwriting itself. In fact I think most of the newer small laptops only have SS drives.

17. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

You can get a solid used T530 w/ SSD and 8GB for < 400 - should be fine for your stated use

18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

for laptops i don't need Windows so i'm a Asus chromebook fan

19. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

That's just what I hear. But, then again, it's always good to have a second copy of a digital file and it's good policy to make new transfers on a regular basis.

SRHmusic likes this.
  20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The first question is “what is the Op’s budget”.

Also, LOL at all the Apple haters.
    I teach a class for new Mac users, recent converts from Windows, and they are all thrilled by their choice.
    Yes, they are easier to use. They have a deep selection of software. It’s not limited as some have some have suggested. That’s outdated thinking. Plus, Macs have so many applications that are native. Beato’s assessment was full of crap IMO. He should stick to music.
    Laptops can easily handle modern recording DAW.
    The new MacBook Air with Apple silicon is a great value and all the computer and more than most will ever need.

Audiotrove and klasaine like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.