1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Podcasts to make you a better musician/guitarist?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by matrix, Jan 26, 2021.

1. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Sure, but do you think it is an "either/or" proposition? A lesson with Chris Buono last year was life-changing, and I plan to do more. Does that mean that I should not read, listen, etc.

I agree that the access to amazing instructors now is astounding, and a serious musician with the resources would be foolish not to take advantage of it.

2. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

As for the OP's question (online podcasts or videos to make you a better musician) - it's one thing to learn about music, that is theory, composition, inspiration, history, etc. But if you want to advance as a ** player **, well guitar playing is a physical activity. You need to move your hands, arms, and fingers to make notes on the fretboard. So anything that helps me with the physical part of playing is (to me) the most helpful.

A good analogy is a physical exercise activity like running or jogging. I watch YouTube videos on running, and it's interesting to learn about new shoes or effective techniques for endurance training. But these videos don't make me a better runner - actually getting outside an running does!

So, what videos (or podcasts) help me as a guitarist? I feel that I advance my playing the most when I am learning the notes or chords to a specific song or solo, rather than listening to someone describe how they improvise over a chord progression. For example, learning the riffs and solos to "Crossroads" - I know the song and know how it should sound, so striving to learn the licks and phrases note for note helps motivate me to actually learn physically how to play the song. Often, there are a lot of subtle things to learn, like if some sequence of notes should be hammer-ons, pull-offs or picked individually. There are a lot of "a-ha!" moments when you finally figure out the proper right hand-left hand technique such that phrase sounds fluid and at tempo.

Sometimes, though, the techniques can be beyond my ability (e.g. sweep picking or complicated tapping) so either I decide to spend a lot of time and effort to learn a small phrase or just move on to something else (likely the latter).

OK - time to learn how to play that first solo in "La Grange" properly...;)

3. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I agree ... "a certain level".
    And I'm just gonna leave it there.

Jeremy_Green likes this.
  4. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I enjoy the “No Guitar is Safe” podcast. It exposes me to guitarists I might not otherwise have heard of. Rather than learning specific lessons it’s an opportunity to hear different mindsets/approaches towards theory, the role of the guitarist, motivations, etc.

Interesting note, I’ve most enjoyed the podcasts that I thought would be the lamest interviews and walked away with newfound respect for players I might have otherwise scoffed at.

matrix and Deeve like this.
  5. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I never said it was an either/or. ;) BUT if I could only do one or the other, it would be lessons.

I'm old school. I started playing seriously in the early 70's before the internet. I took WEEKLY lessons with competent professionals who helped guide my playing and my career (I used to play full time).

I may be wrong, but when someone asks a bunch of strangers on the internet for guidance about what podcasts (or videos, or book, etc., etc., etc.) they should be watching, then my feeling is that they are looking for direction and that direction would be better provided by a qualified teacher.

I watch videos when I have something specific I'm looking for. I also take regular lessons. Just passing along what has worked for ME, YMMV.

klasaine likes this.
  6. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

matrix likes this.
  7. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I was going to argue with some of the other posts, but this response is just so eloquently put, I am just going to try to leave it at "I agree with this".

Useful information gets communicated in different ways. A couple of months ago I was trying to find a more musical way to count groups of five, and google let me to a post that I think was actually by you (@Jeremy_Green ) on another forum about Konokol. That was a case of the "the teacher appearing". Those written comments led me to studying the konokol system (albeit the absolute basics). Which has been HUGELY beneficial to me.

I would never argue against the benefits of listening deeply to music. Or against the absolutely life-changing benefit of interacting with a good teacher (conversely, poor teachers have also actively retarded my development at some stages).

But I have gained immense benefit from things I have read. I have not gained comparable benefit from an audio-only format (podcast), which seems odd to me - as we are talking about music, I would expect that podcasts would have advantages over books (or reading forums). However, prior to starting this thread, the podcasts I have checked out have been weak. Hence "asking strangers for advice on the internet". Admittedly a fraught approach to getting knowledge, but a step up from randomly auditioning podcasts. This forum has provided me with good input in the past.

My thanks to everyone who has suggested podcasts. I am looking forward to checking them out. I will be driving so I reasonably sure it will not take away from time actually playing the guitar, or reading.

Jeremy_Green and klasaine like this.
  8. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This would have been a good sentence to include in your original post.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    matrix likes this.
  9. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Well, I started the thread looking for podcast recommendations.

It did not occur to me that a significant portion of the thread would become about justifying the possibility of learning anything useful via podcasts.

10. jchinkley

jchinkley TDPRI Member

I really love listening To podcasts while working from home... it would be great to have a guitar podcast that was like the the one from Fine Woodworking... entertaining but had some pearls in there that you could go back to listen or practice later.

matrix likes this.
  11. jchinkley

jchinkley TDPRI Member

Another one I thought of today was the Christian McBride (hope I spelled that right) show they do on XM Real Jazz. He talks and plays with all kinds of awesome people about their musical journeys but it would be great to have a version where after he plays a song they talk about things like “hey, why did you drop that flat five on me in the second to last measure? It sounded great!”

matrix likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.