Pod Go

dcupright

TDPRI Member
Bought a Pod Go today, and don’t know much about it yet but after watching a couple of videos set up a simple clean Fender sound that sounds decent.

Anyone care to share any tips or links on making great presets?

bsman

Friend of Leo's
Bought a Pod Go today, and don’t know much about it yet but after watching a couple of videos set up a simple clean Fender sound that sounds decent.

I had one for a few minutes (traded it away on something bright and shiny), but during the weeks I had it I found that it was much more intuitive to set up than other such things I've had, and that a lot of the factory presets needed very little tweaking to make them really useful.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Holic
Pod Go is a really great tool. It's a all-in-one for recording, interface, gigging tool. If you are looking for something that sounds like an amp in the room, it's not really the thing...it sounds more like an amp in the studio, mic'd and polished up to sound like it would on a record.

Make sure you download the editor and update the firmware. There's a lot of algorithm upgrades and settings that are not factory that will come on the update.

Learn to build your own patches. The presets are pretty lousy.

DanielK

TDPRI Member
I'm not too sure about what you're looking for in a preset but here are some things that help me in dialling in tones! I'm on a HX Stomp XL, so amp-wise it should be pretty similar

1) Check the input impedance setting on the input block, play around with this to get the right feel. I prefer a higher setting as it adds a bit more gain and fatness, and allows me to use a much wider sweep of the guitar's volume knob which is critical for how I play and do my gain staging
2) Amp models tend to sound better and fatter with their master volumes cranked. Use the channel volume to control overall output, and control the amount of gain with the drive control and your guitar's volume knob. The sag control can help provide a more 'squished' feel and generally makes the amps more 'comfortable' to play.
3) If you are using the stock cabs (which I do, I think they sound great), you can increase their level. Play around with the low and high cuts, they shape the sound a lot, and the high cut works as a kind of presence control after the amp. Play around with the different mic models, I find that the ribbon models sound the best.
4) When using the overdrive/distortion models, don't be afraid to use lower level/output settings on these models as compared to how you might dial in those pedals in real life, I like to set my drive and fuzz sounds closer to unity gain.

As a general rule, what works in the helix/POD GO is a bit different from the actual gear that the models purport to represent. Applying real-world techniques to the models works and is an important starting point. For instance, the Marshall models sound really good if you crank the mids and treble to 10 but dial back the bass, I learnt that from watching the JD Simo rig rundown. However, after that, you need to 'massage' the sounds into something that works for you. All the best!

chrisj1602

Tele-Meister
One of things I like to do with Pod Go and the HX stuff in general is use the footswitches to change parameters. I found this really useful on Pod Go where you have a limit on what you can use.

For example, for gain stages I would use a footswitch switch to change the gain/volume on either the amp or a drive pedal rather than add another pedal. I would then allocate this to one of the switches for FX Loop or EQ that I didn't feel I needed a footswitch for.

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
If you have the option to select an IR instead of a CAB after your amp, it will sound like you added a 0 to the end of the price of the modeler.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW... This is how I get a nice, basic "BF Fender Clean" out of my Helix. The same should apply on the POD Go. For reference, I play Strats and Teles.
  • Fender Deluxe Normal
    • Drive at 5
    • Mid at 6.8
    • Bass/Treble to taste
    • Presence off
    • Master at 10
    • Bias at 7.5
    • All others set to default
  • 1x12 US Princess Cab
    • MIC set to 121 Ribbon @ 4"
    • Early reflections set to 50%
  • Modulation > Opto Trem - Adjust to taste when needed
  • Reverb > Legacy > Plate Reverb
    • Delay 4.6
    • Pre-Delay 50ms
    • Mix to taste
With the basic BF Fender clean sound, you can then add effects to taste.

Keep the input impedance in mind... the default settings can confuse people. You set the impedance value in each preset, but the way "auto" works (when chosen) is set in the global settings. The higher the value the brighter/clearer the tone. (FWIW... I set mine to a fixed value of 1M)
  • Auto > 1st Block: This is the default setting... the impedance will be set to the first block in the chain whether it is engaged or not. This is like having a buffered pedal at the front of a pedal board.
  • Auto > 1st Enabled: The impedance will beset to the first "enabled" block in the chain. This like having true bypass effects on a pedal board.
  • Fixed Values: You can choose a FIXED value "per preset"

EDIT TO ADD: After I re-read your OP I see you already set up a decent Fender clean, not looking to set up a Fender Clean sound. :cry:

Last edited:

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire

Get your CORE tones right before you add any effects. This would be the AMP and CAB, maybe a touch of Reverb
  1. The MIC choice on the cab makes a huge difference in tone. Dynamics are brighter, condensers are fatter and ribbons are very well rounded. FWIW, I like the 121 ribbon the most.
  2. Distance of the mic also makes a big difference. The closer the mic, the more low end response there is. EG: If you like the tone you are getting but find it just a touch boomy, pull the mic back a couple inches and it may solve the problem without reaching for tone controls.
  3. Adding early reflections to the cabinet often adds depth to the sound...
  4. I always find the amps sound best when their master is turned up.... somewhere between 8 and 10.
  5. I also find that most amps could use a slight boost in bias.
  6. For a polished (recorded) type sound... add the "LA Studio Comp" or the "Rochester Comp" at the end of the chain. You don't want to slam the compressor, just have the signal bouncing off it. The default settings are often a good starting point but the Rochester defaults are pretty hot.
Add effects to taste... just like you would a real pedal board.

lmjmitchell

Tele-Holic
Check out Jason Sadites on Youtube for a ton of helpful Pod Go/Helix videos.

I'm generally not a fan of the built in presets and feel like you get a better sound simply starting from scratch and building your own presets.