1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pod Go

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ping-ping-clicka, Apr 22, 2021.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

At this time I working on becoming familiar with the Line6 Pod interface Listening to the Preset patches ,not changing any thing except the volume. I like the sound so fare. The heavier rock sounds have a nice palate of gritty grindy sounds encompassing a sexy selection of patches spread across the spectrum range of dirt, dirtier, very dirty, dirt with clarity. Staying out of the late sixties fuzz frizzy areas, I haven't found any of that cheesy bumble bee which is a relief. There may be a patch for that but I still have a lot of presets to play through
    I am interested in the ability to add speaker IR's of ones own choosing

zzzzzz mono.jpg

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I added an IR from Worship Tutorials. They included instructions on how to load it into the GO and then use it in patches. I do think that 3rd party IRs improve the tone.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Man I'd'a jumped on one, but I've not heard one single demo that impressed me, beyond the ethereal atmospheric stuff that you can achieve with any of these things

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've been playing with a cheapie Behringer V-Amp and have discovered some very nice gritty tones on some of the over-the-top settings, but with the guitar volume rolled way back to clean them up.
    I'm surprised the little box is so sensitive to that.

BB likes this.
  5. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

If you’ve ever liked any sounds someone has gotten out of the helix or the HX stomp, it’s the same algorithms, just in a different form factor.

6. blowtorch

I get that...and, well, again, other than some nice atmospheric swirly things (that I have no real-world use for), I've not really heard anything that does much for me

The size and cost factor of the pod go are appealing to me- the sounds really aren't, from what I've heard

northernguitar and Danjabellza like this.
  7. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I’ll second Chris on WT. Even if you’re not a worship guitarist at a church, they have some very sweet sounding patches (IRs included) that I use for all kinds of styles of music. I have the Helix LT, but the other guitarist I play with has the Go and they sound identical.

DADGAD likes this.
  8. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Demoing the raw amp tones of these things doesn’t seem to be much of a priority. I’m usually turned off by the incessant use of high gain sounds, or overly wet sounds.

I want to hear if I can get an interesting dry sound out of it with the dynamic response I want. I don’t give a squit if it sounds just like a _______ or not. The only modelers I’ve actually played are really old tech at this point, and they both can in fact attain dry amp-y tones with some tweaking. Sometime this year I’d love to sit down somewhere and try some Helix-era stuff.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  9. chris m.

I downloaded a Worship Tutorials patch that was their attempt to mimic a clean Deluxe Reverb. The patch included an IR, and had a patch version optimized for single coils, and another optimized for humbuckers. It sounded pretty good to my ears. Exactly like a DR? Probably not, but I wanted a clean platform with a hint of grit when you turn up the guitar to start from. It cost something like $4.99.

Based on that patch and IR I was then able to copy it to other patch slots and edit from there in order to construct a bunch of patches that work reasonably well for me, including more British sounding ones,
    with the choice of effects I want access to. I also took the patches I created, copied them to other patch slots, and then turned off the amp head and IR in the signal path so now I also have just multi-effects patches in case I want to use the POD Go as a multi-effects box into a tube amp without any amp simulation at all.

Is it as good as plugging into a real tube amp and using real analog pedals? To my ears, playing live, no. There is a lot going on with the tube amp circuit and guitar speaker moving air in real life that is very hard to digitally mimic in a live setting, IMO. Recording into a DAW, or playing in my bedroom through headphones, absolutely yes. Would I also bring it as a backup to gigs so I can plug straight into the PA if my rig goes kaput? Absolutely. Would I use it if I had to play on a stage with zero amp at all such as a lot of church bands require? For sure.

This is actually the same experience I had with the original kidney shaped POD something like 20 years ago. I couldn't believe how good it sounded for recording or through headphones, but when I tried to use it live there was something about the digital rendering that caused it to lose its sense of real punch and immediacy that you get from a real tube amp and strictly analog effects pedals. This also caused it to not be as forward and "alive" in the mix on stage, IMO. The sound was sort of there, but it was just more anemic even with the volume turned up.

Guys that have really dived into the digital world are probably better at me at making very subtle adjustments needed to get the sound even closer. On the other hand, I have some pro player friends who move back and forth between analog and modeling, and they also feel that there is still a palpable difference, at least for certain tones. Crystal clean with depth and slightly dirty seem to be harder to emulate than super high gain.

TeleTex82, DADGAD and Ringo like this.
  10. ping-ping-clicka

Ola Englund (the Swede) politely suggested adding some ir's

11. ping-ping-clicka

I duplicated Duane Dennison Slide grind today with POD GO , I'm happy

Ola Englund Swede metal brainiac says

12. chris m.

I agree with Ola’s analysis. The IRs are the weak link.

13. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

This is not the first time I've seen you say this.... it seems you would love to get one, but can't be convinced by demos. I don't blame you, the online demo's and the presets are terrible for the POD Go, and even for the Helix itself. They are completely over-the-top, nothing very practical at all.

What I can say is that I proudly own a Helix and there isn't anything I can't do with it. My main thing is country (all era's and styles), older rock (classic and oldies), and a lot of POP stuff in general. Unlike the demo's, my everyday tone is pretty simple. Just an amp with a handful of pedals at my feet. But when I need versatility, or complexity, it's also there for the taking.

I am seriously thinking about grabbing a POD Go as a backup. I don't run anything in my Helix that couldn't be easily adapted for the POD Go.

Southpaw Tele and blowtorch like this.
  14. blowtorch

You're right- I want to love it, but I can't.

What really seems to be missing from those demos/clips, to me, is a good full rich overdriven rock tone (NOT METAL) without the weird upper mid digital artifacts present, AND not overly "smooth", but some raw character present.

For a lot of my needs, that is the very basic building block.

If I can't hear that through online clips (even making allowances for youtube compression, crappy phone mics etc), I just don't see the point

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Axegrinder77 likes this.
  15. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Have owned a pod go for a couple of weeks and have been digging it a lot. I have run it through a Mustang III V2 in looper mode, so basically just using the mustang as a powered speaker and it has been really good. I've also run it via 4CM into my VHT D50 and have gotten great results. Haven't tried going straight into the amp return and using the D50s power section but I plan on it this week. Especially curious to see how the Litigator preamp sounds with the D50s power section.

Headphone practice is a joy with this unit. I had been using my WAZA air for late night practice but the PodGo's interface and quality and variety of sounds have moved it into top spot for that application.

The only trouble I've had has been running 4Cm into my Blues Cube Artist which i think has more to do with the BC's loop not liking certain cables than the PG.

As usual with this type of device, the factory presets are mostly pretty blah. Once you dig in, via the unit or editing software, things open up so much more. I have been A/Bing my pedals with the PG and with some tweaking I've got the PG sounding really damn close. Close enough to where I don't lose any feeling of enjoyment or connection to my playing.

16. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

John Cordy has a ton of jams using the Helix platform, including the POD Go. Here's just one of many. If you spend more than a Showroom Second with it (or any modeler), you can get some great joy out of it.

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  17. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

I own several Helix and line 6 processors including the Pod Go. And I really think they CAN sound amazing.

The trick to these units is understanding that the factory presets blow. I mean bad. I have been able to get great, usable tone out of every virtual amp in the catalog, and none of them anywhere close to the factory setting.

They would really make these devices much more marketable if they would have some decent factory presets. Half the YouTube reviews sound awful merely because the reviewer is not going to take the time to 'dial in' a patch on the computer to make a video.

I guess this is why so many people are making big bucks selling pre-made patches for people to download for money.

18. blowtorch

See that's the thing, everyone seems to sound like either the Edge or Eric Johnson through these things. Or djent
    I like listening to Eric's stuff, it's nice. but I DO NOT want to sound like him, way way too nice and polite-sounding for me. Ditto the Edge, and djent, forgetaboutit

19. chris m.

Go to the Worship Tutorials website and listen to their Fender Deluxe Reverb patch and their British (plexi?) patch. This will hopefully give you a sense of what's possible. I do think that in general classic rock and blues
    dirt tones are the hardest to model. Also really nice sounding fuzz is hard to model. But I also strongly agree that Helix doesn't help themselves by having such atrocious pre-sets.

DADGAD likes this.
  20. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

That's the basic tones I go for... I'm pretty sure I understand exactly what you are describing.
    Sadly the demo and presets do not go there.... but the Helix (and subsequently the POD Go) most certainly can ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.