Poco!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by SnidelyWhiplash, Dec 28, 2014.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

If Rusty truly retired that's the end of Poco anyway. He's been the only legacy member of the band remaining and it's just not Poco without Rusty's steel.

I saw them for the very first time around 1970 when they opened for The Guess Who and they tore the place up. I felt bad for The Guess Who because there was no way to follow that opening. Their energy and performing skills just topped anything I'd ever seen up to that point in time.

Some years ago the band I was with had the privilege or opening for them and I had a chance to meet and talk with Paul and Rusty. In fact Rusty sat and had dinner with me and their former record producer Jim Mason. They're a great band a really enjoyable to talk with. Not your average "rock stars". Very down to earth guys.

2. dennyman

dennyman Tele-Meister

From what I remember, he quit the band via a message on his web/facebook page. And I think that's how Rusty found out.

3. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Hey, birv2 - I saw that same free show on Boston Common! Man, that was a long time ago. And you're right, they just killed it live. So good.

4. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Small world, bowman. Yeah, they were one tight band. And nobody had that countrified sound back then!

5. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I prefer them with original line-up. Nothing against Paul, but I liked the high energy COUNTRY rock sounds of Furay and Messina, as apposed to the pop country rock sound(s) of the later line-up(s).

Besides, Messina was/is a very fine, tasteful guitarist AND he played a TELE almost exclusively during that time period (he plays mostly a strat, now).

IMO.

6. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Sagebrush Serenade from Cantamos. One of my all time favorite tunes.

7. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Totally agreed. Jim on Tele and Rusty on steel was a powerful combo.

8. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Good news.....My one and only time seeing POCO, was in Asbury Park, NJ in the mid-70's.

Bad news.......I had to change a flat front tire on my old Chevy Impala after the show.

Steve

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I can't think of anything I've seen written here lately that I disagree with more than this claim.

What Jim did wrong was, not spend enough time finding a suitable replacement. I think Ritchie felt stranded again, and while Paul carried his weight for one album; after that the band was doomed and Ritchie was left holding the bag again. After what Ritchie and Jim went through with the Springfield, you can't be going through it over and over.

The other thing is, Jim should've held Ritchie down and choked him until he agreed to hire some legal talent so they wouldn't get screwed, at the outset. Yes, I know part of the wondrous appeal of this band was their incredible innocence, but IMO you must get the agreements and the documents right, or you are working as a slave for someone else.

I wanna be clear; I was convinced at the time that Jim had sussed out what Paul could do; write, produce and perform and I was excited and love "Bad Weather" and was fully on board with the new lineup. I was not being a crybaby at the time that Jim left. But while Ritchie stepped up and wrote some fabulous songs and was able to carry the band forward for a while, soon enough they were seen as just another anonymous pop rock band and that, in my opinion, was going to take them into oblivion. I didn't want to see the band fail and I denied it as long as I could. But I saw it slip away. I don't think those who missed the first wave, of seeing Ritchie holding up some little baby and the crowd was so electric and alive, could understand the energy that once was Poco.

10. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I opened for them a couple of times 2 or 3 decades ago. Really nice guys. Our dressing room had Miller Lite and theirs had Heineken. They shared with us.

I'm the sweaty guy on the right.

Attached Files:

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting set of opinions. I think the original lineup had the most promise, but for whatever reasons, they got close but just missed.

Messina and Young were personal favorites of mine. Messina is an amazing musician; haven't come across many folks who didn't recognize that, but everyone's got their own flavors and that's ok with me.

I like Furay plenty, but outside of Buffalo Springfield, he somehow successfully avoided the golden angel of massive commercial success; Poco's most successful records (in commercial terms) were during the Cotton-Young lineup "Legend" (with Crazy Love and Heart of the Night). Souther-Hillman-Furay: I enjoy all of these guys in other formats, but SHF didn't do much for me. A lot of the bandmates around Furay had el grande success, but Furay, not so much. Maybe that had to do with not paying attention to the business side or with not finding the right person to do that for him.

For some reason, I also tend to merge Poco with Pure Prairie League in my memory. sorry.

12. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Poco fan here. Liked all the line-ups (favorites line-ups were the ones with Tim Schmidt plus the first album). Also liked JM and PC, different but both good. I only saw them live with JM. Great live band. Rusty played steel with a folding chair. From what I understand JM hung around until his replacement was found and worked with him. This is better than most bands where a member just leaves.

I did see Souther, Hillman and Furay live. They were good (I liked both their albums, but live they needed a lead guitar player).

13. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good stuff!

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Paul Cotton plays a lot of the pubs in Key West...if you ever stop down there.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Boris for all of his talents Jim Messina could be bad news at times behind the scenes and it came to light again when they recorded the Legacy album with all of the original members. I had some personal insights into that era, the battles were many and the effort turned out to be far short of what it might have been.

I don't deny Jim Messina's talents or Richie's as a songsmith. I've always been a Richie Furay fan. My feeling is that the band progressed and became more diverse as musical tastes changed. To be completely fair it's almost as if they were two distinctly different bands just as the Eagles morphed away from their earlier C/R roots once Bernie Leadon left and Joe Walsh replaced him.

That said I have never seen Poco as just another Pop Rock band and I can't think of many others who've followed them that do either. If anyone entered the world of Pop Rock with both feet it was Jim Messina when he partnered with Kenny Loggins. Jim was always about the money and Richie never was. Eventually Richie found his higher calling, that was the end of that era for Poco and it will always be missed. They were incredible musicians and together they were an incredible band.

When I saw them in the early '70s they still had that energy without Jim Messina. As I posted it was the best live show I had ever seen up to that time and I've seen damn few to equal it since. In the long run Paul, Timmy and especially Rusty have left their own mark as a band and IMHO it isn't a bad one just one that was more inconsistent than many of us would have liked.

16. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

My brother and his friends saw poco back in the day.

17. dennyman

dennyman Tele-Meister

I always thought that with a manager like Irving Azoff, POCO would have had much more commercial success. I remember reading that Glen Frey said that when he contacted Tim Schmidt about playing with the Eagles, Tim was on the road @ 50 weeks a year and making @ $200 a week. No matter how talented and dedicated a musician you are, that situation has to be demoralizing.

I also read that the original line-up was inducted and played at the Colorado Music Hall of Fame in Denver last night.

Did anyone go?

18. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Here is a link to 10 of poco's best, com one of my favourite sites. *DISCLOSURE* I don own the site, I didn't write this entry, but I have contributed. Anyway, hope you enjoy this entry.

19. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Me,too! After JM left,Poco spent far too much time trying to grab the
    Eagles' brass ring. The original spirit of the band was lost. :cool:

20. dennyman

dennyman Tele-Meister

I saw the original line-up in concert and they were great. I am a big fan a of Messina's early tele playing in Poco but afterwards, I thought he really went "pop-rock" with Loggins.

As far as Cotton goes, at first, I thought he wasn't a good replacement/addition (although I really liked "Bad Weather"). But then I saw him in concert w/Poco and wow, I quickly changed my mind. His guitar playing had a fire, intensity, sound and style that I really, really enjoyed.

I also enjoyed Cotton's songwriting and singing abilities much more than Messina's. And imho, Cotton's guitar playing and songwriting further explored and expanded the sounds of country-rock, whereas Messina was doing the pop-rock thing.

Now as far as Rusty Young goes, he's a musical hero of mine. As much as I luv'd Richie's singing, songwriting and choice of guitars, Rusty would probably have not blossomed into a vocalist and good song-writer if Richie hadn't left the band.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.