Pocket watches

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Jan 19, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I posted a while ago in johnny k’s thread “When do you throw away your picks?

I commented in part about keeping my picks in my “pick pocket,” the small pocket on the right side of a pair of Levi’s originally designed for pocket watches. It made me think, “Has anyone else here carried a pocket watch before, and used that watch pocket?”

I never liked wearing a wristwatch, probably because of guitar playing. I tried them in my teens, but whether the wristband was metal or leather, it didn’t matter; I just didn’t like wearing a wristwatch. So when I was about 18-19, I got a pocket watch, and I kept a pocket watch for several years. I’ve worn blue jeans all my life, so I made use of that watch pocket myself.
    [​IMG]

I haven't owned a pocket watch in decades; my cell phone is my timepiece. But I had one back in the day. Anyone else?

brookdalebill and tery like this.
  2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I tried having a pocket watch but, it didn't work very well.
    They kept getting broken.
    Never used that pocket for Picke either.
    Couldn't get to them fast enough during a performance.

3. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

Likewise. Wrist watches are always either too loose or too tight :p I'm not a luddist by any measure, but I prefer an actual timepiece to digging out my phone.

I've noticed some funny patterns regarding timepieces. Your pal checks the time on the phone, immediately when he puts it away you ask what time it is. Almost invariably he will check again. Wristwatchers behave the same way, but they additionally keep checking the time just about continuously. I've never seen that happen with someone who uses a pocket watch :)

4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yup. And I'd carry one now before I'd wear a wristwatch. Cellphones and car clocks (that actually work) have pretty well overcome the need for either kind, though.

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm in.
    Pocket watch guy for 40 years.
    Goes in the pocket with the picks.
    I don't like wristwatches and don't want to pull out my phone to check the time.

6. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

That was a pocket watch pocket in Levis?

If you kept a pocket watch in it how the **** did you sit down? Or did I wear my jeans too tight?

7. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I used to carry a pocket watch. I once read that a wristwatch is always there, too convenient, you're always catching glimpses of it. It's a constant reminder of time slipping away, of your next appointment, of somewhere you have to be. A pocket watch is only there for when you actually want to know the time.

I gave up the pocket watch when I started carrying a cell phone. Serves the same function as a timepiece.

8. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Yes I carried a pocket watch for many years..Never could accept any thing on my wrist or fingers..
    My jeans have the watch pocket..Good place to carry change as well as picks..

9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Its Time to get a new pocket watch .

10. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I bought one in junior high.
    It's still around here somewhere.
    Cheap. Had to wind it everyday. Heard it ticking on my nightstand all night.
    Mid high school I bought a cheap casio digital wrist watch.
    Now I look at my phone.

My youngest carries my old pocket watch sometimes. He is currently in junior high.
    Go figure. 1547938337020721729590.jpg

stevemc and brookdalebill like this.
  11. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

• I carried my father's pocket watch for many years. He got a gold Hamilton pocket watch when he graduated from LSU in 1934. When it needed repair I ended up giving it to my niece who had it fixed (but never carried it).
    Mark

985plowboy likes this.
  12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yep

My brother refurbishes them, but they’re a little too expensive for everyday knocking around

13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

My phone is my pocket watch. I can't stand any kind of jewelry hanging on me.

14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I carried a pocket watch for a long time. I now use my phone. I never liked a wrist watch. I still have my pocket watch.

15. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I have a B.W. Raymond that belonged to my great grandfather. I wore it for years. In my Levi’s watch pocket or in my vest pocket

It wouldn’t be conducive with my current lifestyle. Very seldom do I wear Levis or vests.

I love a pocket watch

16. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the day, they couldn't sell wrist watches because men wouldn't wear 'bracelets'. Watch manufacturers had to get actors and sports figures to be seen wearing wrist watches before they caught on. The rest was history. Now they are unpopular for new reasons.

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have two watches that are on leather fobs that clip to a belt loop. Both need batteries, so I don't wear them much anymore, especially since I got a cell phone. But really, clocks are everywhere. It's hard to not know what time it is.

18. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

I always wanted one and found one for $5 at a thrift store. It works great. These aren't the best pictures, but gives an idea. I did a bunch of research on it and I think it's from around 1910 or so, maybe earlier. Made by the Illinois Watch Company under the Washington Watch Company label to be sold by Montgomery Wards. I love that it still works and exists.
    20190119_204935.jpg 20190119_205003.jpg 20190119_205053.jpg

stevemc and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  19. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I have a B.W Raymond from the 1880s. It quit running and has been in the shop for months.

20. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I have my grandfather's Hamilton, but I keep it locked up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.