Plummy jazz (?) tone with JHS Crayon

dswo

Tele-Holic
A few years ago I bought this pedal used on Reverb because it seemed like a shortcut to some Beatles and Zeppelin tones:

After it arrived, I didn't find myself using it as much as I imagined I would, in part because the thing it does really well -- direct to console fuzz, like you hear on "Revolution" and "No Quarter" -- isn't something you need every day, and at more moderate settings it has more bass than I want. (There's a reason this thing has a high-pass filter switch.)

I get the impression, though, that Josh Smith thinks it's one of his better pedals:

So I put it back on my board, just to see if I could hear what he was hearing in it. Friday night I heard this 14-year old kid playing the blues and kicking it, so this morning I decided to review my Dom7 arpeggios. I switched on the Crayon and set it pretty clean, but didn't try to get rid of the bass, the way I usually do. Plummy! I don't play jazz, but this is what I imagine a "jazz tone" sounding like. I have a feeling it would get lost in a band setting, but in isolation that fat-bottomed sound is really nice.

Some photos of my set-up below: Gretsch 5420G on both pickups, going into a Boss Nextone that's configured to sound like a Fender 6V6, with a Fender Marine Layer pedal for room reverb. There's a Boss delay in the photo too, but it's turned off.

C6AE4F14-B378-4796-BD9B-D050770369AB.jpeg

D7BA4B65-8472-43B1-8B89-49FD6CD49552.jpeg

B34830D1-4B2D-4916-AAF8-1467C7AF1E4A.jpeg

Last edited:

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That and the Color Box are the best JHS pedals if you’re looking for that tone. Josh is one of a handful of pedal makers that really understand EQ and how it relates to tone.

dswo

Tele-Holic
Still playing with the Crayon. Josh is right that this pedal cleans up very well with lower volume on the guitar. I'm now setting gain a little under noon for break-up when turn the volume up.