Plugins: Old tech vs New tech

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Tube Life, Jun 26, 2020 at 9:59 PM.

1. Tube Life

Tube Life TDPRI Member

I’m using an entirely old system for recording, editing and “mastering” from 2005’ish, and I’m wondering if using newer plugin technology for mastering would be worth it?

Current DAW, Powermac G5, ProTools 7.3 HD with core card, 192 I/O and Waves Platinum bundle all from about 2005. I‘m looking to keep all that going, and then purchasing for ex: T-Racks 5 to use as a stand-alone mastering program on a separate laptop. (My G5 is obviously not online) Bounce the ProTools to a stereo track and use the T-Racks to master.

I’m so out of the loop with software, I don’t know if the newer stuff will yield a better finished product than the 05’ Waves bundle?

Do I just stay put?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020 at 9:03 PM
  2. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

You'll probably have to update those plugins through Waves Central..... They're a pain like that. I could be wrong but if you try to install them it'll say you have to upgrade because the products are outdated (which is pretty much bs quality wise). You'll probably want to run the updated versions anyway, 64bit vst3 and all. If it's not too expensive go ahead or you may be able to use them as old ones with an old installer?

M

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.