Plugging Straight in to a Vibrolux Reverb Amp

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
Just a silly question...but are your speakers wired right? 2 8ohm affairs one way = 4 ohms...the same pair the other way = 16 ohms, which might “might” cause the wimpiness
No, not a silly question at all. I had already checked the wiring and it's fine....4 ohms at the plug. It's wired correctly. But your question does make me want to re-try the old Altec Lansing 425A-8's that I have. They sounded shrill and wimpy. I think I'll retry those and double check the wiring after the install. I might have had those out of phase when I tried them. I'll see what happens and get back to you all.

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
Altec Lansing 425A-8.jpg Problem solved! Now it sounds the way it should and with plenty of clean headroom to spare. I made sure these are wired in phase, showing 4 ohms at the plug. Thanks to all for all of your help and suggestions in my quest. The amp put on a few extra pounds, but that's a small price to pay for these results! You all have been so helpful..I really appreciate it.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I had a Swamp Thang that had a "radial tear" at the surround, after not too many hours of use, and that really bummed me out, because it was an otherwise great speaker for its alloted application. I've had too many other Eminence speakers to really try counting them all, and the Swamp Thang defect was the only one I experienced.

I guess I thought that even Weber speakers were ' built to spec' by Eminence ( just like D'Aaddario ' makes everybody's strings!')

I've had great luck with both Emi and the older Weber C-12 N's
I just no longer own the awesome amps that these speakers were in- dang it!

hotrodkid

Tele-Afflicted
My advice would be sell the amp as 10's are not your thing. If the C30 worked for you I'd look for a 1-12 Dr. Z. Or, even a 30 watt Deluxe Reverb build would most likely work too. Bottom line is your ears wanna hear a 12" speaker.

grolan1

Friend of Leo's
Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
I've got a SFVR with Jensen C10NS speakers... there is nothing missing with this setup for me at all and actually my top gigging amp. More than enough clean volume and a full spectrum of sound. Agree with gridlock, look for American voiced speakers.

My, experience is that speakers can make or break an amp. From harsh and brittle to warm and full with a simple speaker swap. I don’t know how many great amps I’ve sold or traded because I didn’t care for the sound of the current speaker in the amp (especially amps with Vintage 30’s).

The biggest tone change, for the better, can be had with a speaker swap.

OP, I still suggest that you buy some good American voiced speakers (Weber’s version of vintage Jensen C10NS or Alessandro G10SCA’s) and a Wampler Black ‘65 pedal with your VR.

20171213_141440.jpg

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
My advice would be sell the amp as 10's are not your thing. If the C30 worked for you I'd look for a 1-12 Dr. Z. Or, even a 30 watt Deluxe Reverb build would most likely work too. Bottom line is your ears wanna hear a 12" speaker.
Actually, I loaded up a pair of vintage Altec Lansing 425-8A 10" speakers last night, and was instantly blown away by the power, clarity and tone of this amp....Finally. With these speakers in it, it sounds like a 2x12 and got this amp sounding the way it was meant to sound. I have no idea what the previous owner was thinking by putting those other speakers in there. Those speakers did this amp no justice at all. Yes, it's heavier now, but it's worth the trade off to me. The search is over.

RadioFM74

Friend of Leo's
Actually, I loaded up a pair of vintage Altec Lansing 425-8A 10" speakers last night, and was instantly blown away by the power, clarity and tone of this amp....Finally. With these speakers in it, it sounds like a 2x12 and got this amp sounding the way it was meant to sound. I have no idea what the previous owner was thinking by putting those other speakers in there. Those speakers did this amp no justice at all. Yes, it's heavier now, but it's worth the trade off to me.

Glad you sorted it out! I was wondering all along how a "blackface veteran" such as you could not like a VR, and now we know ;)

Wonderful!

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
Glad you sorted it out! I was wondering all along how a "blackface veteran" such as you could not like a VR, and now we know ;)

Wonderful!
Well, as Gridlock said, speakers can make or break an amp and that was definitely the case here. I know lots of folks really like those old Eminence/Fender Blue Frame speakers and I'm sure they're great in the right application, but they almost had me selling this amp. I really have no practical use for them, so they're going up on CL today.

Last edited:

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
[="grolan1, post: 9205281, member: 51954"]I've got a SFVR with Jensen C10NS speakers... there is nothing missing with this setup for me at all and actually my top gigging amp. More than enough clean volume and a full spectrum of sound. Agree with gridlock, look for American voiced speakers.

View attachment 623350 [/QUOTE]

The C10NS in my BFVR.

CF346F73-539B-43B1-BE38-D9E03D5E2C2A.jpeg

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
These Altec 425-8A's are exactly what this amp needed. This amp really came to life and sounds great. It definitely sounds like my old TR amps now, and with the volume knob at 2-3, it is more than loud enough to gig with comfortably with plenty head-room to spare. I can definitely see this being my go-to amp from now on. Thanks again for everyone's assistance and input.

stanger

Tele-Meister
FYI, the amps found in that barn were AB763 Vibroverbs, which are different amps from the 6G16 Vibroverbs. The 6g16 Vibroverb was a 2 x 10 brown amp and was the first Fender amp to have onboard reverb....introduced and produced only in 1963.

Thanks for the info!
I never knew they existed before I saw that pair of amps, and I've never seen any Vibroverbs since.

Did that second generation amp come in different speaker configurations? I have a vague memory that one of the pair had 4/10s and the other a single 15. I played through the 15 briefly.

That was over 30 years ago, so my memories are a little fuzzy now about the particulars.
regards,
stanger

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Stanger, the BF Vibroverb came as a 1 x 15”. It was introduced 1963....I owned one from November, 1963...and ended production after the 1964 year.

RadioFM74

Friend of Leo's
These Altec 425-8A's are exactly what this amp needed. This amp really came to life and sounds great. It definitely sounds like my old TR amps now, and with the volume knob at 2-3, it is more than loud enough to gig with comfortably with plenty head-room to spare. I can definitely see this being my go-to amp from now on. Thanks again for everyone's assistance and input.

Now you know that we’d love to have a recording of you playing live throught that amp, don’t you? Even just a crappy iPhone take…

jsnwhite619

Friend of Leo's
I saw a few posts about speaker choice. Legend 1058's are great American voiced speakers with plenty of volume for a good price. 75 watt speakers with pretty high efficiency rating.

I know alnico seems to be the darling choice to lots of people, but I figured out long ago that every live album tone I heard from my guitar heroes was done with ceramic speakers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

stanger

Tele-Meister
Stanger, the BF Vibroverb came as a 1 x 15”. It was introduced 1963....I owned one from November, 1963...and ended production after the 1964 year.

Thanks for the info, Wally. I saw the amp so briefly and just once, I really don't remember many details of it. The only clear memories I have are the name, the fact it had a 15" speaker, and how impressive the sound was to me.

And, back then, I was pretty indifferent to amplifiers in general. I owned quite a few amps, some large or small, solid-state or tube, made by different manufacturers (including Fender), and as long as they got the job done for me, I really didn't care much about the differences. Back then, I purchased at least one sold-state Fender amp I thought was a real dog and swapped it off for another that turned out to be a dog too.

Around that time, I ended up using a small little Fender solid-state amp that was half busted that I plugged into another half-broken Ampeg amp and got an amp tone I really liked. I used that jackass combo until the Fender finally crapped out for good, and bought the Blues DeLuxe, the only amp I ever purchased after doing a lot of tonal comparisons. I still have the DeLuxe, and I still like it.

The Vibroverb probably taught me to pay attention to an amp's tonal abilities, and I think I must have heard something that reminded me of the Vibroverb in the DeLuxe.

For most of 30 years, the electric guitar was just a musical tool that made me money. I only played them on the job; at home or in jams, I almost always used an acoustic guitar, and sometimes an amplified acoustic.

I very seldom just took out the Tele and played it for its own sake. When I did, it was usually just to keep my chops up, or to check the guitar out for an upcoming gig. And I paid far more attention to it than any amp I played it through. It was only after I began sliding into retirement that I developed a real affection for the electric guitar and the good qualities of a well-chosen amplifier.
regards,
stanger

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted

Glad to hear you got it figured out, Telecastoff. I was gonna recommend my favorite 2x10 speakers, Weber 10F150 & 10F150T, but it seems the Altecs will do more than fine.

Unrelated, but you still have your Custom Vibrasonic? I've still got mine and a good 67 Twin Reverb - the command and depth of the 4-6L6 amps is unbeatable for me. Kinda itching to get another Twin or a Dual Showman Reverb head while prices are pretty down right now. I'm hooked on the beautiful deep cleans.

ballynally2

Tele-Holic
Plug that V lux into the twins speakers then and see what it sounds like.
You mention "What do you recommend for super-efficient, loud, clean speakers in this amp?" But it doesnt sound like you need loud and efficient when you say "We're not a loud band. We play clean, old Country.....Buck, Cash, Lefty, Price, etc...and so on. I just need the little Vibrolux to come thru clean and proud like a good old 40 watt Fender amp should. " But loud and efficient often sound real good....

I would try:
Two Emi GA SC 64's
or Two Emi 1058 for lots of bottom end
or two used 50 watt Weber 10F150 or 150T's. Or one of each.

or even any combination of the above!

But if you are worried about having too much bottom, then maybe Emi 10 legends, or Weber 10F125's etc. (these could be pretty bright on the top)
My feeling is the GA SC 64's will light enough weight, and not too darn bottom end prone, although vastly more bottom than the Blues you have.

the GAsc64s will sound like the blue frames but more robust.
Bottom heavy speakers are not a good match for these amps imo.
I get the feeling the OP struggles w the 2x10s. If you are used to 2x12s and Twin style than maybe the Vibrolux is not for him.
I love those amps b my friend borrowed it and said he couldnt make it work for him, being used to the 2x12 Twin.
I dont know if the SF Vibrolux is like the Vibroverb RI which has a smallish OT with some more breakup.
Wally said to let a tech have a look.
The OP might just send a little recording for us here to comment.

Edit: just realised it is an old thread..

Last edited: