Plugging Straight in to a Vibrolux Reverb Amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Telecastoff1, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No, not a silly question at all. I had already checked the wiring and it's fine....4 ohms at the plug. It's wired correctly. But your question does make me want to re-try the old Altec Lansing 425A-8's that I have. They sounded shrill and wimpy. I think I'll retry those and double check the wiring after the install. I might have had those out of phase when I tried them. I'll see what happens and get back to you all.

2. Telecastoff1

Altec Lansing 425A-8.jpg Problem solved! Now it sounds the way it should and with plenty of clean headroom to spare. I made sure these are wired in phase, showing 4 ohms at the plug. Thanks to all for all of your help and suggestions in my quest. The amp put on a few extra pounds, but that's a small price to pay for these results! You all have been so helpful..I really appreciate it.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I guess I thought that even Weber speakers were ' built to spec' by Eminence ( just like D'Aaddario ' makes everybody's strings!')

I've had great luck with both Emi and the older Weber C-12 N's
    I just no longer own the awesome amps that these speakers were in- dang it!

4. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

My advice would be sell the amp as 10's are not your thing. If the C30 worked for you I'd look for a 1-12 Dr. Z. Or, even a 30 watt Deluxe Reverb build would most likely work too. Bottom line is your ears wanna hear a 12" speaker.

5. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I've got a SFVR with Jensen C10NS speakers... there is nothing missing with this setup for me at all and actually my top gigging amp. More than enough clean volume and a full spectrum of sound. Agree with gridlock, look for American voiced speakers.

20171213_141440.jpg

6. Telecastoff1

Actually, I loaded up a pair of vintage Altec Lansing 425-8A 10" speakers last night, and was instantly blown away by the power, clarity and tone of this amp....Finally. With these speakers in it, it sounds like a 2x12 and got this amp sounding the way it was meant to sound. I have no idea what the previous owner was thinking by putting those other speakers in there. Those speakers did this amp no justice at all. Yes, it's heavier now, but it's worth the trade off to me. The search is over.

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Glad you sorted it out! I was wondering all along how a "blackface veteran" such as you could not like a VR, and now we know ;)

Wonderful!

Telecastoff1 and Greggorios like this.
  8. Telecastoff1

Well, as Gridlock said, speakers can make or break an amp and that was definitely the case here. I know lots of folks really like those old Eminence/Fender Blue Frame speakers and I'm sure they're great in the right application, but they almost had me selling this amp. I really have no practical use for them, so they're going up on CL today.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    RadioFM74 likes this.
  9. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

[="grolan1, post: 9205281, member: 51954"]I've got a SFVR with Jensen C10NS speakers... there is nothing missing with this setup for me at all and actually my top gigging amp. More than enough clean volume and a full spectrum of sound. Agree with gridlock, look for American voiced speakers.

View attachment 623350 [/QUOTE]

The C10NS in my BFVR.

CF346F73-539B-43B1-BE38-D9E03D5E2C2A.jpeg

10. Telecastoff1

These Altec 425-8A's are exactly what this amp needed. This amp really came to life and sounds great. It definitely sounds like my old TR amps now, and with the volume knob at 2-3, it is more than loud enough to gig with comfortably with plenty head-room to spare. I can definitely see this being my go-to amp from now on. Thanks again for everyone's assistance and input.

RadioFM74, 11 Gauge and Wally like this.
  11. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info!
    I never knew they existed before I saw that pair of amps, and I've never seen any Vibroverbs since.

Did that second generation amp come in different speaker configurations? I have a vague memory that one of the pair had 4/10s and the other a single 15. I played through the 15 briefly.

That was over 30 years ago, so my memories are a little fuzzy now about the particulars.
    regards,
    stanger

12. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

1964 was another 1-year only, and came with a 15".

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Stanger, the BF Vibroverb came as a 1 x 15”. It was introduced 1963....I owned one from November, 1963...and ended production after the 1964 year.

stanger likes this.
  14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Now you know that we’d love to have a recording of you playing live throught that amp, don’t you? Even just a crappy iPhone take…

15. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I saw a few posts about speaker choice. Legend 1058's are great American voiced speakers with plenty of volume for a good price. 75 watt speakers with pretty high efficiency rating.

I know alnico seems to be the darling choice to lots of people, but I figured out long ago that every live album tone I heard from my guitar heroes was done with ceramic speakers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

16. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info, Wally. I saw the amp so briefly and just once, I really don't remember many details of it. The only clear memories I have are the name, the fact it had a 15" speaker, and how impressive the sound was to me.

And, back then, I was pretty indifferent to amplifiers in general. I owned quite a few amps, some large or small, solid-state or tube, made by different manufacturers (including Fender), and as long as they got the job done for me, I really didn't care much about the differences. Back then, I purchased at least one sold-state Fender amp I thought was a real dog and swapped it off for another that turned out to be a dog too.

Around that time, I ended up using a small little Fender solid-state amp that was half busted that I plugged into another half-broken Ampeg amp and got an amp tone I really liked. I used that jackass combo until the Fender finally crapped out for good, and bought the Blues DeLuxe, the only amp I ever purchased after doing a lot of tonal comparisons. I still have the DeLuxe, and I still like it.

The Vibroverb probably taught me to pay attention to an amp's tonal abilities, and I think I must have heard something that reminded me of the Vibroverb in the DeLuxe.

For most of 30 years, the electric guitar was just a musical tool that made me money. I only played them on the job; at home or in jams, I almost always used an acoustic guitar, and sometimes an amplified acoustic.

I very seldom just took out the Tele and played it for its own sake. When I did, it was usually just to keep my chops up, or to check the guitar out for an upcoming gig. And I paid far more attention to it than any amp I played it through. It was only after I began sliding into retirement that I developed a real affection for the electric guitar and the good qualities of a well-chosen amplifier.
    regards,
    stanger

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.