1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Plugging Straight in to a Vibrolux Reverb Amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Telecastoff1, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

How many of you are plugging your Teles straight in to your Vibrolux Reverb amps (not re-issue or custom)? I just cannot get a full, big sound out of mine. It sounds "meh" to me. Mine is a '79 SF that's been "black-faced" to '65 specs. New tubes, caps...the works. Even the speakers are Eminence/Fender Blue Alnicos. Perhaps I've been playing Twin Reverbs too long (many years) and am unfairly comparing the two. I'm just having a difficult time wrapping my head around this amp. I'm sure it will never cut thru if I gig with it, as I demand super clean head room from my amps. I got this amp figuring it would be my "old man amp" when/if I get to the point where I can no longer comfortably lug my big amps around any longer. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from this amp. It's too expensive to be delegated as an at-home parlor amp only.

2. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

I haven't played a Vibrolux at full volume, but my Pro is a very similar amp. I'm surprised you're having trouble with it. Where is the volume knob set? You mention it's been blackfaced, so it should have been biased afterward. Perhaps it's set too cold?

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Emi Blues are not big full sounding speakers... they are middy, clean (at low vol) and lack low end... unless you are running 4 x 10.
    2 x 10 Vlux's are not huge sounding in the first place compared with like a Pro etc.

If you want big and bold put some big and bold sounding 10" speakers in it. Something with a fat low end.
    I had a 74 for a while with two Weber 10F150's in it, it was killer but too heavy and too loud to play anywhere. In a roller rink size gig, I had it on volume 3 and the sound man said it was too loud he had to turn my amp mic off completely.
    The significant difference between a Vlux and the other Fender 6L6 amps are the speakers.

BBill64, Telecastoff1 and Zepfan like this.
  4. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

...do you not have a PA system at your gigs?

5. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I'm very sorry to hear that. Your description is surprising to me. I do hope you get it sorted out. It's actually hard to imagine the situation you describe with a vintage Vibrolux Reverb that has been well serviced.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Get a Twin...they're only $600 now.

Greggorios, brbadg and GuitLoop like this.
  7. Telecastoff1

I already own Two Twin Reverbs and i like them alot. I was hoping the Vibrolux would be close to a smaller version of the Twin.

8. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

what is the volume set at?

9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I had a '69 for a number of years. It was a great sounding amp, that cut through nicely. Had lots of fun with it and lots of jealous looks from my buds at jams. I've always loved 40 watt Fender amps in general. A 2x10 or 2x12, 40 watt amp has been my go to for a good decade, at least.... The Vibrolux Reverb has had the reputation as the optimum bar amp for a long time, and it's well deserved. But, it might not be for everyone.

I have since moved towards older Fender circuits, and my current gigging amp is a high power tweed Twin. Part of what I got out of moving backwards in time was more warmth. My cleans are different as well, more overtones, less clean clean, if that makes sense. But, when I fired up that Twin for the first time and got that warm, fat four 6L6 tone, I was kinda done. I am convinced there is no replacement for displacement... Heavy iron and multiple big tubes.

Now, I loved my Vibrolux, I love my Bassman, I love my 5e3 and I love my little 20 watt Marshall. But, they are not the Twin. It's just what it is for me.

robrob and Telecastoff1 like this.
  10. Telecastoff1

We're old school, old fellers...we only mic our vocals and depend on our amps' power to cover the gigs. We're not a loud band. We play clean, old Country.....Buck, Cash, Lefty, Price, etc...and so on. I just need the little Vibrolux to come thru clean and proud like a good old 40 watt Fender amp should. Possibly I'm using the wrong speakers in this amp. My experience with 10" speakers is very limited, as I've dealt mainly with 12's and 15's most of my life. What do you recommend for super-efficient, loud, clean speakers in this amp? I'd really like to keep this amp, but just feel I'm not getting as much out of it as I should.
    I have a pair of vintage 1970 Altec Lansing 425A-8, 10's that I've tried, but they sounded absolutely horribly shrill...I couldn't stand it.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I didn't realize you still had your Twin(s).
    How about a Pro?
    If you really love that big 2x12 sound, you're probably just not going to find it in a 2x10.
    I'd still had my Pro if I played anywhere I could open it up.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

FWIW, if a tech told you they blackfaced that amp, it would be interesting to know what they actually did. The VR is the only 6L6 SF reverb amp that, like the DR and smaller amps, did not get much change over the years. A SFVR can be made to sound as a BFVR would with very little work...fantastic amps. the VR is my favorite of all of the BF/SF Reverb amps. Also, ime, those Emi’s are good full range speakers. I think your amp is not set up correctly.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    robrob, RadioFM74, sds1 and 5 others like this.
  13. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I have the Custom, and it makes all my Fenders sound great. Pretty much at any volume.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

FWIW, the ‘68 Custom SF Vibrolux Reverb is not based on the BF/SF Vibrolux Reverb. It is based on the 6G16 Vibroverb RI circuit board...as was the first Custom Vibrolux Reverb that came out in 1995. Slightly different amps. For instance, the trem in your ‘custom’ is a bias vary trem as found in the 6G16 VV. And...yes....there are definite similarities. fender played fast and loose with the model name....as they can do sine they own those names.

stanger, bftfender and schmee like this.
  15. schmee

As I said earlier, try some robust speakers. The small magnet Emi Blues are great in the right situation, but maybe not yours.

bftfender likes this.
  16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with Wally - when I had a SFVR with CTS speakers it was most reminiscent of a 'mini Twin' - I too had sound guys forever telling me I was 'too loud'.

Are you standing with your back to the amp with it pointing at your knees? Lean it back and stand a few feet away. Your knees don't have ears.

17. schmee

Plug that V lux into the twins speakers then and see what it sounds like.
    You mention "What do you recommend for super-efficient, loud, clean speakers in this amp?" But it doesnt sound like you need loud and efficient when you say "We're not a loud band. We play clean, old Country.....Buck, Cash, Lefty, Price, etc...and so on. I just need the little Vibrolux to come thru clean and proud like a good old 40 watt Fender amp should. " But loud and efficient often sound real good....

I would try:
    Two Emi GA SC 64's
    or Two Emi 1058 for lots of bottom end
    or two used 50 watt Weber 10F150 or 150T's. Or one of each.

or even any combination of the above!

But if you are worried about having too much bottom, then maybe Emi 10 legends, or Weber 10F125's etc. (these could be pretty bright on the top)
    My feeling is the GA SC 64's will light enough weight, and not too darn bottom end prone, although vastly more bottom than the Blues you have.

18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I had a BFVR and don’t understand the problem you’re having. Either the amp is busted or your ear and/or expectations are out of whack. A VR should do exactly what you’re wanting.

MilwMark likes this.
  19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Either you've fatigued your ears in your room, and don't realize how loud it is (common btw), or your amp needs service. A healthy Vibrolux is very giggable. Speakers are not the issue either. Check the impedance selection and speaker wiring, swap with reliable tubes, check the footswitch is functioning correctly. Next stop, take it to the shop.

MilwMark likes this.
  20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The speakers are not the problem. Those are great, full range speakers, as @Wally notes.

Take it to a different, reliable tech. Something is not right with that amp as you describe it.

210 sounds very, very full. Vibolux Reverb brings plenty of low end. And they punch like crazy for a BF/SF Fender.

So get the amp right before you chase speakers or get rid of it.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.