1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Plugging a hole behind body

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mrchen, Jan 22, 2021.

1. mrchen

mrchen TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Well... It happened. I made the mistake of not measuring twice and drilling once and have punched clean through the control cavity into the back of my tele's body. I was trying to install a ground wire but forgot that Fender factory bodies have different control cavity routes than the one I'm using (Stewmac). I misjudged how thin the back of the body was and went right through.

What's everyone's quickest fix for this--

I'm inclined to simply fill it in with Epoxy and flash coat a little color on there to fill it all in.

Or should I plug with an ash dowel? I've also heard of making a simple wood paste with titebond and ash dust. I'm not too concerned about grain-matching since it's the back of the body and it's a guitar I won't be babying.

Attached Files:

crazydave911 and nojazzhere like this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd probably turn down a facegrain dowel, not an endgrain dowel, and fill with some nail polish that is close or lacquer with some tint in it. If you don't care though, you could fill it with baking soda and drop fill with superglue..then paint it.

Make sure you don't overfill the hole with the baking soda as it cures rock hard. Maybe the color would be close and you could leave it without painting it.

crazydave911 and Dismalhead like this.
  3. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

That's a shame. Gorilla Glue comes in white, but probably whiter than your body color. If using, be careful cause the Original GG expands 3x. Filling in the shattered finish area might be more difficult than plugging the hole. I think a small square of aluminum foil coated with PAM (to prevent glue adhering to it) securely taped over the hole and a shot of one of the non-expanding white GG (or other epoxy) variants from the inside might work....but I'm no expert on this., just shooting from the hip.

4. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I understand your frustration, but if it were me, I'd simply live with it. Consider it like a "beauty mark". Like you say, it's on the back....almost no one will see it.....and it can be your little secret. ENJOY.....;)

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Leave it, and you'll have a cool story to tell the grandkids:

"...and this is from when I used the guitar to stop a bullet when some drunk guy tried to pop me for playing Seasons In the Sun."

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Problem there is.....the grandkids will want you to demonstrate Seasons In The Sun...
    Either you CAN'T, (and lose credibility) or you CAN, and they have to shoot you themselves. ;)

Peegoo likes this.
  8. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Holic

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Put a sticker over it.

Asmith, erix, mrchen and 1 other person like this.
  10. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

A dowel will stand out like a sore thumb. You're going from an irregular shaped repair that you can hide in the qrain of the wood to a round plug that looks like an obvious repair.

I would tape the hole from the back and do a shallow drop fill with clear CA taking care not to overfill the hole. After backing up the hole with the CA fill, it is a standard chip repair. I would mix up some lacquer (white with a touch of black), tinting it to match the color and drop fill the color in leaving room for another clear CA drop fill on top followed block wet-sanding (or strip sanding) and buffing. This assumes the finish is polyurethane or polyester. If the original finish is lacquer, skip the final CA drop fill and use clear lacquer instead.

See the Dan Erlewine Clip repair tutorial at StewMac This assumes the finish is Polyurethane of polyester.

Here's a dowel a luthier left me with when he drilled through the face of the headstock. He was supposed to route a neck pocket and bridge for me and decided to do me a favor and mount all my tuners (great) instead of just the 2 e's for alignment purposes. I would have preferred he left the hole which I would have intentionally chipped out to an irregular shape and filled so as to be less noticeable. The round plugs are always obvious unless you have a dark finish to obscure the outline.

I wound up refacing the entire headstock with veneer to hide it. Oh yeah, nice guy that he was, he didn't charge me for the routing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  11. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

A dowel would be the proper fix. I'd be inclined to fill the hole with wood putty first, just to see how a quick fix will look. It will dry white, so it might just disappear.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. erix

erix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Countersink it, run a flathead stainless steel screw through it, put a nut on the other side, put all your grounds in a ring terminal and slip it over the screw, tighten with another nut.

E-miel likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I'd fill it with whatever you want. A dowel would be good, leaving it below the surface a tiny bit. Like the thickness of of a sheet of paper.
    Then white stain it with paint so it's "see through" like the body.
    Then dab and fill the finish with poly or nitro.
    Then wet sand and polish.
    You are lucky with that color and finish, I think it can be made unnoticeable if you really want to. Solid colors are more difficult, but grained wood is more forgiving.

14. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

dowel, minwax woodfill pencil for color match, tape off the area and use some quick dry gloss poly sand and buff til it matches. It'll get you 90% of the way there

15. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

I did exactly the same last year, hole in the same place. I play the guitar regularly, keep meaning to fix it, but keep forgetting it's there.

16. mrchen

mrchen TDPRI Member

Update for everyone:

Decided to take the "that thing is meant to be there' approach and countersank the hole with a 6 fluted countersink bit. I now have a custom Telecaster that is extra grounded. ;) May switch it out for a flat screw head so it sits flush to the body.

Attached Files:

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Speechless

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You couldn't come up with anything better? Toothpaste, spackle,.... salt map dough...:)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  19. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

20. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Haha I did the exact same thing on mine!!! But my holes huge with tear out too! One day I'll fill with black epoxy I think. It's a mahogany body so it'll match.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.