Plug In Voltage Meter

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jchabalk, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would really like to ask why? The bucking transformer lowers the voltage by a percentage placing your effective voltage in a lower range, but the variac will allow you a more specific setting according to the amp design. I just don't see the benefit over the variac except maybe in weight. If someone mistakingly turned off the bucking transformer you would jump back to what-ever voltage was present at the wall outlet. If someone mistakingly moved the variac dial to 100%, you would also just end up with the same wall voltage.

So, what am I missing here?

2. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That is what I have planned as well and have been using those little votage readers for years...really useful and cheap item.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well, it depends on the amp, but my 65 BFDR and 65 BFD run 460-465 volts on the power tube plates at ~121 wall voltage. The last set of RCA NOS 6V6's I bought lasted half a gig and took out the vintage output transformer. Maybe that's why?
    I'e had many BFDR's, 10 years ago I had 4 at the same time. They all were that way.

4. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

"So, what am I missing here?"

The weight of the variac vs the bucking transformer. My bucking transformer design gives -7 or -12% voltage and works fine for me.

[​IMG]

D'tar and King Fan like this.
  5. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Rob, I've been highly tempted to build one of your bucking transformers. Elegant and simple. Plus I was hoping cost would be an advantage over a variac, but maybe not. I'm having trouble finding your suggested Hammond 166N12B for less than ~$25 plus shipping. You note this cost you $14 -- d'you have a secret source?

For those asking why? I once read a massive article in an old EE journal about increasing tube life; their simplest and strongest recommendation was to never run heaters above spec voltage. This is before considerations that vintage B+ and plate voltages may sound better in vintage amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.