Plug Cutter

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Clintstone, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:20 PM.

1. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

So I decided to try out one of these Veritas plug cutters to make my own fret markers. Not only do they make really nice plugs they are insanely accurate. My 1/4" plugs measured exactly .250" at one end and .258 at the other (they are supposed to make a slightly tapered plug) 20191108_195758.jpg

LPTyler, Jackadder, jimbo735 and 6 others like this.
  2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've used those for years for cutting plugs...and yes, they are excellent tools which is to be expected from anything that Lee Valley creates and sells. For fret dots, a good way to accomplish the task is to cut a line of them at the drill press, apply a piece of tape across the face where the plugs are showing and then run the board through the bandsaw to get the thin disks safely. The tape holds them so they don't fly away as each are released by the bandsaw blade.

I have the whole set of the Imperial tapered cutters, but discovered they have 6mm and 8mm available, too. They will be going on my next Lee Valley order since I've primarily moved to metric in my shop.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 10:13 AM
    DrASATele likes this.
  3. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

Do they make them small enough for side marker dots?

4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I doubt there is a loftier name for a tool company.

5. Jim_in_PA

I've never seen anything that small in a plug cutter from anyone. I did see a video recently where the maker used ebony dust for the side markers...he drilled the holes, packed the dust in generously and hit it with thin CA. Once sanded, it was very nice and matched the ebony dots he created with plug cutters for on top of his maple fretboard. "White" would be hard to do that way, but contrasting woods should come out great.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Used plug cutters for boat plugs. Any brand works well.

7. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I used leather punches in a drill press to cut side dots out of fiberboard. I suppose that could work for wood as well.

Clintstone likes this.
  8. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic

Yes, the Veritas plug cutter is a beauty, the taper allows for a perfect fit.

I was also hoping to get something similar for side markers but alas.....been using 2 or 3mm knitting needles, black and white plastic and aluminium, instead.

Did have a recent problem drilling for 3mm side markers on a maple/rosewood neck and decided to cover up with some Veritas-cut big-boy plugs with the intention of re-drilling the 3mm holes but loving the look as is...

0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

LPTyler, Jim_in_PA and tubedood like this.
  9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

They look OK Jack! What diameter are they .........about 6mm?

If it was me, I'd be putting a small white or silver dot in the middle of those, but then, I suppose if you had some 3mm white or silver rod you wouldn't need the big dots!

Nice work Jack!

DC

10. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

Oh I can hardly wait for the glue to dry 20191109_201920.jpg

LPTyler, tigger and Jackadder like this.
  11. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic

Thanks, Dave....how have you been?

I keep sitting some 3mm MOP dots in the middle of those husky 6mm rosewood plugs but something about it just doesn't look right...

12. Davecam48

Maybe turn the 12th into one of these :)? I have run out of the small 2/3mm rod in the past and have gotten by getting some plastic knitting needles from the dollar shops. If they are a snick too big you can spin them in the drill and work them in and out of a 3-4mm thread tapping die ( with varying degrees of success!)

Been OK for an Old f@rt Jack!

DC

crazydave911 and Jackadder like this.
  13. Davecam48

Just looking at the last pix you posted , you could put them in with the top edge just overlapping the edge so as to provide a double function of marking frets from front on as well as from the player's perspective.

DC

14. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

Looks alright with the plugs cut flush, now to hit it with the radius sanding beam to clean up the scratches.
    20191111_181759.jpg

crazydave911 and E-miel like this.
  15. Jim_in_PA

If you didn't use/don't have a flush cut saw, invest in one. They are not all that expensive. Lee Valley has good choices. No scratching and the thin blades come in handy for many things. I keep mine on a magnetic hanger near my benches and grab it more frequently than I would have ever expected, even being primarily a machinery focused woodworker (including CNC).

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.