Plowshares to swords

Powdog

Tele-Holic
As a diversion from the “Do You…” threads, I thought I’d share something kinda cool. Years ago I started making knives out of old tool steel, something my grandfather had done during WWII for neighbor kids who were overseas. I got my son and nephew involved, putting old Nicholson files in a burn pile to remove the temper, then grinding and shaping them before returning them to a homemade forge to re-temper them.

My nephew took it to the next step and is a bona fide knife maker (as well as a pharmacist) and makes incredible knives. His custom blades bring big bucks on the internet and has bidders waiting in line.

This is one of the last blades I made. A thin Nicholson mill bastard shaped into a skinner. The stag handles came off a buck I found on the side of the road. I live up country and that happens a lot. My nephew was kind enough to put the final grinds on the blade, which are perfect. I love the way you can still see the file detail.

Any other knife fanatics?

1668908749381.jpeg

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
AD46EF61-FA62-4C2E-80C8-562DA0A799BB.jpeg

A couple of half round files into scrapers and the old recycled machine hacksaw blade 😝 is as near as I get!

I’ve had the same finger mindst you 😀

Powdog

Tele-Holic
He sells them auction style on Instagram, gets more for one than I get for one of my amps.

Boy did I choose poorly.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I really like my Keyshawn Leek but that’s about as far as I go. I removed the manual safety.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
I make marking knives, and blades for marking tools a lot in the shop. I purchased a couple of cheap Harbor Freight files to make knives out of, but haven’t had any spare time since to actually knock them out.

Zl2jTq5.jpg

MxfhBTc.jpg

Nothing fancy like you guys…. But, I always have about go-zillion recip blades that are worn out! LOL I do save my full kerf table saw blades for things like this, too.

Powdog

Tele-Holic
1668965342666.jpeg

I kinda have a thing for the Nicholson carbon steel files, the older the better. The new ones are made in China out of crap slag.

The three on the right have been annealed.

HaWE

Tele-Holic
Great craftsmanship and interesting knifes. I am not a knife fanatic but I like that sort of knifes ( I own some hunting knifes and bowies ) and also any kind of metal tools.I also like to work with iron, wood or leather and create something out of it , but sure not at that level of skill.

Pete_from_PGW

TDPRI Member
I keep all of my old lawn mower blades with the thought of doing just that. I have about 6 blades from a 42" mower. No idea if it is the right steel though.

Medeltids

Tele-Meister
I knew a guy who made swords out of chainsaw bars. The long ones timber fallers use. I grew up in a lumber town so they were plentiful.
His swords where “scary sharp”. Heavy and dangerous.