Plotting the Iraqi-Caster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Rex,
    It sounds like you have a veritable wild kingdom going on there that would make Marlin Perkins proud. My favorite episode is still when Jim was in the water wrestling with a 35’ Anaconda and almost lost his bacon. A quick commercial break and he was on the shore like nothing happened. Marlin probably got a good laugh and a pair of snakeskin boots out of that one but I digress.

The three bridge pickup Tele has long been on my radar. I have recently worked out a particularly viscious yet articulate Tele bridge pickup for a mutual friend. You might want to evaluate a copy. I’ll trade you a javelina. Ellah needs a playmate.
    Rob

Newbcaster likes this.
  2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Funny how Marlin never actually jumped in with the bad critters. He just narrated - "Careful Jim, those fangs are sharp!" And wasn't there a sidekick named Stan also...for a while?

I'll try to make a post about the NGD Triple Tele over on the Triple Tele club thread. It's interesting. Bridge sounds standard, but the middle and neck sound great on the plain strings, darker than expected on the wound strings. The strings look new. Could be the slant of the pickups. I've yet to check the pot or cap values but I believe everything is stock (and mint - did I mention that part?)

Barncaster likes this.
  3. Barncaster

The visuals on that guitar are excellent. Uninspiring pickups however can always be rewound into more satisfying states of sonic functionality.

4. TRexF16

Here's an update, with some minor setbacks and some progress:
    On the setbacks side, I had left Dos' body, safe and sound, resting on a blanket draped over the top rollers on my planer:
    IMG_7154.JPG
    I was surprised to find that this Duplicolor clear topcoat, after three months of drying, imprinted slightly from the weave of the blanket just from sitting on the blanket under just its own <4 pound weight. So I screwed the painting stick back on it and have just left it hanging since. I'll have to polish out that imprint in the final stages of the assembly. The onset of our Tucson monsoon season led to a little swelling of the wood and I had to take a bit off the control cavity cover for it to be a slip fit again - it was kind of wedged in. I am getting pretty nervous about the long-term "goodness" of the topcoat on Dos. I suppose I will just hang it on a display hanger for a while before I let it live in either a case or a guitar stand. Fortunately the necks are top coated with Watco, which is rock hard, maybe even a little brittle, which bring me to setback #2. While working on Uno's neck, I accidently bumped it against the goose-neck lamp on my workbench and put a little chip on the edge of its headstock. That was an easy drop-fill to fix.
    And while leveling the lacquer over the serial number on Dos, I accidently took off a bit of the decal, so I had to sand it off all the way and make a new one and start over on the topcoats at Dos' heel - that's all fixed now.
    IMG_7169.JPG
    And, at the risk of getting ahead of the story, while adjusting the neck dead straight on Dos tonight for the fret level, I wasn't looking directly at the truss rod nut recess and accidently pushed the hex key against the left side of the recess, adding a chip to Dos to match Uno's. Again, a simple drop fill but another couple days on the timeline.
    Progress-wise, both necks are fretted, leveled, crowned, and polished. Uno is a 9.5" radius with Jescar 47095 and Dos is a 12" radius with Jescar 57110. For those not familiar with the project, Dos is the pearl dots.
    IMG_7236.JPG
    I nipped the fret tangs and filled the edge slots with Movingui sanding dust and CA. I packed the dust in deep with a little tool I made, kind of like a miniature version of setting a fence post, wicked in the CA, then packed in some more dust on top, then soaked that little hump with CA.
    IMG_7228.JPG
    This ensures not only the fret slots are filled, but also that the joint between the filed underside of the fret and the fretboard is completely seamless. After filing down the excess hardened CA/sanding dust, the fret edges are nice and smooth.
    IMG_7238.JPG
    After I leveled, crowned and polished the frets on both necks this evening, I did a lot of buffing and polishing along the edges with synthetic steel wool. Not a single fiber from the pads got hung on the frets. They are completely free of any burrs or edges. The picture looks as if there might be a little gap but there's not, it's smooth as can be.
    IMG_7242.JPG
    I am just a bit concerned about doing the fretwork on these during our Monsoon season when the humidity is much above the Tucson average. I packed the Movingui dust in pretty tight in those slots and I hope they don't sprout any when it dries out again in the fall.

From here out, I am going to try something new to me. The fretboards are finished and grain filled with the Watco lacquer, and buffed to a matte finish before fretting as may be visible in the pics above. But I plan to shoot a wet coat of lacquer over the fretboards to give it a more typical finish like when we fret first then lacquer over a maple neck. But I don't feel like scraping lacquer off these nicely polished frets so I plan to mask the frets before I shoot the final topcoats on the fretboard. I got this pinstriping tape off Amazon and it is the perfect size to almost completely cover the frets while leaving just enough gap that the lacquer ought to be able to seal the joint between the frets and the fretboard.
    IMG_7243.JPG
    I'll let y'all know how this turns out - first time I have tried masking off frets and spraying the fretboard.

Cheers,
    Rex

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. TRexF16

"I'm thinking two months is a pretty conservative estimate...:("

T. Rex, 24 June 2018
    Describing the probable timeline to complete the necks on these two builds.

"A man's gotta know his limitations."

Dirty Harry, 1973
    General observation on the nature of Man.

Barncaster likes this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I use Dupli-Color clear coat, but I get the one made for wheels. I've heard complaints about their clear coat before and someone told me to use the one for wheels. It works better for me in the high humidity weather we get around here. I would think that the clear would dry quicker there with the low humidity you get, but the higher heat could also be a factor.

I like the white with the natural neck and plate covers.

7. Barncaster

Go Rex!

8. TRexF16

Teaser pics. I'll post some nice ones in the daytime once I finish making the nut and the rest of the set-up.
    Rob's Firebirds wired in nice and clean:
    IMG_7680.JPG
    These are Hipshot lockers. I have some round pearl buttons for them that I think may go better with the overall look. I'll post some comparison pics later and y'all can help me decide.
    IMG_7675.JPG
    Here she is after I played her an hour or so. Yeah, the nut wasn't finished but I just had to work the set-up first. It was a bear. the saddles on this Wilkinson trem were decked to the plate and actually needed a fair bit of fiddling about to get the basic set up there. Didn't want to file the nut to it's final depth until I got things about right set-up-wise. Then it got way past supper time and I decided to let it sit the rest of the night to settle in a bit. We're night flying this week so I get all morning long at home to work on stuff every day this week.
    IMG_7681.JPG
    IMG_7684.JPG
    Cheers,
    Rex

Wildcard_35, eallen, CraigB and 13 others like this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

That is awesome.

10. peeweepete

peeweepete TDPRI Member

Absolutely gorgeous! Keep it up!

11. Barncaster

Hey Rex,
    I have those exact same buttoned locking Hipshots on my Hippie Sandwich Brasscaster. My first time with their tuners and am very impressed. Good choice. The build looks tight and clean. That carve is so sweet. The vintage tropical fish cap gives it some under the hood candy. Can’t wait to hear it. Well done sir.
    Rob

12. TRexF16

I should post some finished pics of Dos since she's been done over a week and they are overdue. Still cleaning up my "fix" to the tiny, tiny sand-through I had on one edge of Uno's neck. It could have been done by now as well had I use a smarter approach to "fixing" it. But it's going to be fine.
    IMG_7730.JPG
    IMG_7729.JPG
    IMG_7728.JPG
    IMG_7727.JPG
    IMG_7723.JPG
    IMG_7722.JPG
    Cheers all,
    Rex

eallen, CraigB, Tommy Biggs and 11 others like this.
  13. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Wonderful Rex. That neck is amazing. A great guitar.

14. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Great job Rex! Love it!

15. TRexF16

Thanks, hard to believe it's the same construction site mystery wood I was scratchin' my head over back in Iraq. Uno's neck is going to look killer too. I kind of think these are darkening a bit as they age but it could be my imagination. I still have a little chunk left that I'll have to make something out of one of these days.

BluesBlooded and mjr428 like this.
  16. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful job Rex.

17. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Man, I'm loving that neck!

18. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Impressive!

19. Barncaster

Excellent job Rex. The grain pattern in that neck borders on hypnotic. Very cool. So when is the video? Would love to hear it.
    Rob

Captain Nutslot likes this.
  20. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Awesome guitar sir! and great idea keeping those backplates natural. tig bitties!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.