1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Please tell me if you know vintage and repro pickguards

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by denniscariot, Nov 17, 2020.

1. denniscariot

denniscariot TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

The photo I'm posting is the reverse side of the original pickguard from my 1963 tele. I also owned a 1959 strat with the same...unusual...look to it. Kind of like a bizarre collage. Does anyone know if anyone makes reproductions with the same ongepotchket coloration? All I'm trying to find out is whether the pickguard on my strat, which I bought used and represented by the seller as a reproduction, is in fact a vintage pickguard. Thanks for any input. 20201117_210038.jpg

63telemaster and DeepDangler like this.
  2. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

These are a little expensive but it looks like the closest you’ll get to a modern reproduction. https://quickguards.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

In the 60s the originals were a nitrile plastic. It shrank, and the most common examples were a tanline appeared around it, and the screwholes could crack or distort and stretch.

4. denniscariot

denniscariot TDPRI Member

Yeah, the front of the pickguards in question looks just as you would expect a 60s vintage pickguard to look. I'm trying to find out if anyone kind of pointlessly makes reproductions that go so far as to replicate the weirdness on the back of the pickguards. If the answer is no, then that means the one on my strat is authentic. That's what I'm trying to find out.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Not that close - the material and it's exudations are highly illegal according to EPA.

Technically it's a hydrocarbon liquid that's particularly thick....

DeepDangler likes this.
  6. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.