1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

please suggest me a cheap preamp/d.i.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Albertwang, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Albertwang

Albertwang Tele-Meister

I want to put togheter a bunch of pedals and create a pedalboard for acoustic. I need a suggestion for a cheap di/pre (max 120 $) that can do the work. I play in a country/roots band and I have to face strumming parts and a pair of solo.

2. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

We use Art Tube MP's for our two acoustics on stage.

The tube doesn't do a lot but it's a very clean, cheap preamp that gives the passive pickups in our guitars plenty of power for the board.

3. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I guess cheap would be the Behringer acoustic D.I. People say it fuss the job.

I have an ART MP: it has some uses but can't help you with anti-feedback or tone shaping.

Greg

4. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

5. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

I do a lot of acoustic gigs and have recently moved away from the DI/pedal board, and I'm now using a Mustang III. Sounds great. I use the studio preamp setting with some reverb, some echo, some compression, etc as needed. Footswitch for solo work. Also sounds great with my mandolin. Goes direct to the board, plus I have a monitor if I need it. Oh, and eq.

That's about twice your budget, but if you don't have to consider the cost of the rest of the pedal board, it might work. It's certainly flexible, and to my ears it sounds better than any acoustic rig I've played.

6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

What Tim said. It's a little more than your budget, but it's worth it.

7. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I use the Baggs Para DI, too. Actually, two of them: one for acoustic guitar and one for fiddle. I can get a really natural sound using them, dial out feedback, and use effects in the effects loop. It's a compact and effective acoustic rig.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

9. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

The Baggs Para Di is a classic but personally I find it a bit fiddly. For your use with pedals you could look at the Ultrasound Ultra DI pre, should be in your price range, simple, solid and nice sounding. It is biggish though so if size matters, go the Padi.

Kristina

10. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have the Ultrasound PDI, and it works well, but I did have one problem with pedals - when I used a few pedals (unknown which, but probably chorus & delay, also, magnetic soundhole pu) and tried to use a daisy-chained 1-Spot to power all of them, including the PDI, I had hum. It doesn't have a ground lift, and there was no way to get rid of it in that configuration, so I had to use it with a battery to eliminate the hum. It does run on phantom power, as well, but I didn't try that. (Actually a nice feature to have 3 different ways to power it.) It might have been the combination of pedals, but if you want to run everything off a single power source, make sure to test *whichever* preamp-DI you get. Or, plan to use batteries!

(This thread reminded me about it - I no longer use it since I have a guitar with a built in pre, so it's headed to eBay this weekend, if I can keep it in the front of my mind to remember it by then :).)

11. Albertwang

Albertwang Tele-Meister

Once again I hada lot of good advices

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

K&K Pure Preamp - Link

$85 USD. Fantastic little preamp. You can wear them but I clip mine to the handle on my acoustic amp.

[​IMG]

13. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

Behringer ADI-21. I prefer it over the Baggs Para. Really can't go wrong with it at the price even if it becomes a backup.

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Look for a HK metal shredder preamp, don't let the Metal name fool you. , set gain knobs abut noon and it s about best clean preamp you could want. Its f'n awesome.

15. Albertwang

Albertwang Tele-Meister

Since I have a fishman prefix preamp on my guitar...I suppose I have to buy a passivd di...

16. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You don't *have* to but it's probably all you'd need for live gigging. Of course, there are folks that use both (i.e., onboard + external PDI), but assuming you've got EQ on the guitar and at the PA, you should be able to get a decent sound and manage feedback without needing a *third* preamp.

A plain, passive DI will set you back $40 or so here. You can spend a lot more, but for live use, and if it's fastened to a pedalboard (not being beaten around), that's all I'd probably go. I've got a LiveWire model and it works fine. I also have a Radial that I use when it's me alone, no effects, with my Martin, but that's $100, and nobody in the audience can hear the difference, I'd bet. Maybe if you were recording.

My $.02, anyway.

17. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

For what it's worth, I tried to go cheap with the Behringer preamp and it was defective out of the box. The other acoustic guitarist in my band hasn't had a problem with hers. I bought the Baggs Para Acoustic DI and it's worth every penny. It makes every guitar and electric uke I play through it sound great, sounds great through a PA or an amp (I play my electric uke through a Princeton Reverb to give it some character) and is a solid, professional, rugged piece of gear. Spend the extra money if you can (those eBay auctions sound promising) and you'll never regret it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.