Please post some deliberate odd/weird/“bad” tones used in members’ work

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I like to build various cigar box style guitars and play with synth sounds and effects. Here's a track I did using a one string diddley bow and various sound effects.

I enjoyed that; it kind of made me think of Tom Waits’ “Mule Variations” and 16 Horsepower’s “Sack Cloth-n-Ashes.”

What is the story behind the images? They went very well with the track, I thought.

Also: first time ever hearing a diddley bow!

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
This is my kinda stuff!

There's some weird stuff in this track, which contains six vignettes of different musical flavors. This was a backing track challege here.

Here's one that contains some non-guitar sounds. Waaaait forrrr it:

Diggin it! Do any of the vignettes have that headless guitar in them? I have admired photos of that in some other thread here before. I admire how much stylistic ground you touched on in the vignettes.

Apart from digging the slow tremolo twang sound in “Sheepwalk”, I think the rate at which the sheep sounds came in was perfect. Just as I was vibing on the slow trem twang sounds and the pedal steel swelling in there’s this isolated, offhand-sounding “baaa-aaah.” Huh? Anyway, then some more twang and a small scattering of varied baaa-aaahs...then the pedal steel plays a nice line and a community of baa-aaahs trample it. I was chuckling as I realized the inevitable baa-aaah onslaught I was in for.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Diggin it! Do any of the vignettes have that headless guitar in them? I have admired photos of that in some other thread here before. I admire how much stylistic ground you touched on in the vignettes.

Apart from digging the slow tremolo twang sound in “Sheepwalk”, I think the rate at which the sheep sounds came in was perfect. Just as I was vibing on the slow trem twang sounds and the pedal steel swelling in there’s this isolated, offhand-sounding “baaa-aaah.” Huh? Anyway, then some more twang and a small scattering of varied baaa-aaahs...then the pedal steel plays a nice line and a community of baa-aaahs trample it. I was chuckling as I realized the inevitable baa-aaah onslaught I was in for.

The headless is not on that track, but it's on other tunes on my SoundClick page. The sheep sounds were not recorded by me....I grabbed 'em from YouTube vids. I did a search on "sheep sounds." Pretty surprising the number of vids that contain sheep bleating. Cheers!

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I enjoyed that; it kind of made me think of Tom Waits’ “Mule Variations” and 16 Horsepower’s “Sack Cloth-n-Ashes.”

What is the story behind the images? They went very well with the track, I thought.

Also: first time ever hearing a diddley bow!

Alt-country is one of my big influences. My playing often tends to gravitate towards the lo-fi and similar tones.

I have an old graphics program that converts photos to various styles of drawings. It's not as fancy as Photoshop but it's a lot easier to use for this purpose, involving fewer steps.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
This was a 2003 song inspired by a newspaper review of Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York that used the line "The Blood Stays on the Blade" in its lede, written by a friend of a friend of a mine. I read it and immediately thought "title!" and wrote the song starting with the chorus. Just before I started re-recording the song back last August, I read a Sound on Sound review of a trio of VST synths, Boz Labs' Digital Claps, Stomps and Snaps. The reviewer used them to record a pretty passable recreation of Queen's "We Will Rock You," and I thought they would great for a big opening, along with TC Electronics' Voice Live 3 unit to make a big vocal sound. The rhythm guitars on the track include my 1983 R7 Strat, my 2021 Nashville-tuned Strat, my 2000 R9 Les Paul, and for the solo, my 1998 B-Bender Tele.

To create the trippy drum break in the middle of the song, I ran them through a VST recreation of the old Roland Space Echo. For the ending of the song, I ran them through an Eventide H9000 preset appropriately called "Lost in the Super-Collider."

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Now that is one upbeat-sounding knife-themed song. That Roland Space Echo sound is cool. It sounded like you were having a pretty good time making that one, and like it might be kind of fun to play for people to see how they handle the imagery combined with the cheerful tone.

I was getting trace readings of Rundgren’s vibe in “Bang the Drum All Day” too.

What do you use for drum tracks; are you sequencing those? If so, I envy your sequencing chops. Cool beats and fills.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
Now that is one upbeat-sounding knife-themed song. That Roland Space Echo sound is cool. It sounded like you were having a pretty good time making that one, and like it might be kind of fun to play for people to see how they handle the imagery combined with the cheerful tone.

I was getting trace readings of Rundgren’s vibe in “Bang the Drum All Day” too.

What do you use for drum tracks; are you sequencing those? If so, I envy your sequencing chops. Cool beats and fills.
Thanks! The sounds are from the Superior Drummer 3 "Legacy of Rock" expansion kit, which was produced by Eddie Kramer. He recorded a pro drummer playing a recreation of Charlie Watts' drum kit from the Beggars' Banquet album in London's AIR Studio 1. I have loads of MIDI drum loops, and I edit them to insert cymbal crashes, and the most appropriate drum fills.

Riffraff12571

Tele-Holic
I was working on a tune one morning and was trying to find the right tone with a preamp I hadn't used in several months and couldn't get it to sound right for the piece. After messing around with way too many IR settings I opened a free modulation plugin I downloaded a month or so earlier from Valhalla called Space Modulator. It was the first time I tried it and thought maybe the detune setting in it would help. It had a lot of wild stuff in it. Next thing I knew I was using a lighter like a bow on my guitar then I dug a little deeper in the plugin and things really got weird, lol. I decided to record my sound effects session in case I came across something interesting I could use later. One thing lead to another and a lot of weirdness happened.

I never did that before. It was fun in a 12 year old sort of way. I also tried some of the effects with with a clean amp setting to play a short modulated lead. What came out doesn't even sound like a guitar. It sounds like an alien ship fly by. It was fun and I didn't know what I would use it in but I thought maybe a small part in it would be useful down the road.

A week later a guy on another website I frequent posted a cool short metal rhythm guitar track. Another member added drums. My buddy Joe is a wicked bass player and he found it and added a ripping bass track to it. I was following him on the website so that's when I got notified of his remix. I immediately thought of using that crazy sound effects session in the tune to make it into a alien invasion themed song and got to work on it. I used LePou's LeGion amp plug-in for my rhythm and lead additions. It's based on an Engl Powerball which is perfect for that "chunk chunk" tone. I had so much fun doing the tune I decided to make a video for it too. I found a couple of movie scene compilation video's on YouTube and used short clips from a bunch of them and a TV show clip to build a video to fit the song. It was a lot of work for something almost nobody will see but it turned out pretty cool. :lol:

This is the final product.

Last edited:

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
The headless is not on that track, but it's on other tunes on my SoundClick page. The sheep sounds were not recorded by me....I grabbed 'em from YouTube vids. I did a search on "sheep sounds." Pretty surprising the number of vids that contain sheep bleating. Cheers!

I just re-read this; I can’t not picture what it would have been like to have an anecdote about a guy standing in a flock of milling-around (stampeding?) sheep, holding a voice recorder up and out trying to capture bleats as the sheep went by.

I needed some pig sounds for a musical commercial project I had to do in a college class, and actually got into my rubber boots and went out into a gathering of pigs once. The sounds were kind of lame, nothing like the amusing timing and rate at which you introduced them in your tune, but the video of me slip-sliding around in the “mud” after the pigs was pretty funny.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I was working on a tune one morning and was trying to find the right tone with a preamp I hadn't used in several months and couldn't get it to sound right for the piece. After messing around with way too many IR settings I opened a free modulation plugin I downloaded a month or so earlier from Valhalla called Space Modulator. It was the first time I tried it and thought maybe the detune setting in it would help. It had a lot of wild stuff in it. Next thing I knew I was using a lighter like a bow on my guitar then I dug a little deeper in the plugin and things really got weird, lol. I decided to record my sound effects session in case I came across something interesting I could use later. One thing lead to another and a lot of weirdness happened.

I never did that before. It was fun in a 12 year old sort of way. I also tried some of the effects with with a clean amp setting to play a short modulated lead. What came out doesn't even sound like a guitar. It sounds like an alien ship fly by. It was fun and I didn't know what I would use it in but I thought maybe a small part in it would be useful down the road.

A week later a guy on another website I frequent posted a cool short metal rhythm guitar track. Another member added drums. My buddy Joe is a wicked bass player and he found it and added a ripping bass track to it. I was following him on the website so that's when I got notified of his remix. I immediately thought of using that crazy sound effects session in the tune to make it into a alien invasion themed song and got to work on it. I used LePou's LeGion amp plug-in for my rhythm and lead additions. It's based on an Engl Powerball which is perfect for that "chunk chunk" tone. I had so much fun doing the tune I decided to make a video for it too. I found a couple of movie scene compilation video's on YouTube and used short clips from a bunch of them and a TV show clip to build a video to fit the song. It was a lot of work for something almost nobody will see but it turned out pretty cool. :lol:

This is the final product.

What hits me with that one is how well the guitar sounds lay together...the rhythm chunk is clear and defined and propulsive and the lead tone really sings without being buried, and without sounding real high in the mix to get over the chunk. Also, the bass tone has enough frequency width to be apparent even on my phone speaker.

For the mix to work as well as it does on both my phone speaker and through headphones is pretty remarkable, I think. I need to get my mixing act together.

Thanks for posting this!

Riffraff12571

Tele-Holic
What hits me with that one is how well the guitar sounds lay together...the rhythm chunk is clear and defined and propulsive and the lead tone really sings without being buried, and without sounding real high in the mix to get over the chunk. Also, the bass tone has enough frequency width to be apparent even on my phone speaker.

For the mix to work as well as it does on both my phone speaker and through headphones is pretty remarkable, I think. I need to get my mixing act together.

Thanks for posting this!
Thanks my friend, I'm glad you liked it. 🍻

Carl_Tone

Tele-Holic

20180424_155435.jpg