Please post some deliberate odd/weird/“bad” tones used in members’ work

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Obviously there’s a lot of room for interpretation there, but I am interested in sounds chosen that are a little (or a lot) off the beaten path because it just seemed to suit the track, or it just made you giggle, or you wanted to stick it to the man, or, you know, you had to EQ it into submission to get it to lay in the mix and what started out sounding one way ended up sounding another.

I’m equally interested in sounds that are weird because of FX treatment, alternate tuning, unconventional signal path or gain structure, or the actual playing approach.

All participation appreciated and encouraged.

At the risk of seeming like I’m oversaturating the forum with this recent song submission, I’ll try to get the ball rolling with this...weird solo tone begins at 1:03

That’s a Squier Bullet Special into a bass synth effect (with delay added) in my Zoom B2 bass modeler. It’s recorded DI. I’m not sure I grasp all it’s doing, but there’s some kind of filter and maybe square/sawtooth wave manipulation that seems tied to pick attack velocity...or something. Pros: It sustains about forever and weird feedback-like overtones emerge as it slowly decays; and it does unpredictable squitchy glitchy artifacts that get picked up by the delay and do weird things. As notes fade out this harsh fizz component (in tune with the notes) is revealed underneath. I think it’s a blast...but a guitar player friend/bandmate said “I think it’s too farty to be used seriously in a song.”

No accounting for taste, I guess.

Whatcha got?

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
This is about as weird as I get. Generally, I like guitars that sound like guitars. Alan Cole played the bass and drum track. I added two guitar tracks.

While it’s true that I didn’t hear that as “weird,” I did think it was cool, and could be led to believe that was some kind of deep cut/outtake from a Doors recording session. Maybe with Steve Cropper hanging out and playing too.

I liked the vibe and sounds a lot. Thanks for posting it!

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
This is about as weird as I get. Generally, I like guitars that sound like guitars. Alan Cole played the bass and drum track. I added two guitar tracks.

I could listen to that "weird" all day long. Very cool and definitely sets a mood for a movie scene.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Weird you want, weird you get.

Falling Down
Wow! You definitely get the “delay repeats as a harmony composition tool while sounding least like The Edge” award. That was nuts! And the different “source tones” of the initial notes varied enough in playing and intervals to keep it changing up as it goes along. Pretty clever. How’d you do it?

estreet

Tele-Holic
I recorded the lead guitar on this through the nastiest amp I could find. It was a solid-state 5 watt thing of the type you get given with a cheap beginner's package. The guitar used was my '66 telecaster. You will see why when I posted this on a Les Paul forum some years ago I got a load of flak - but they should have looked more closely...

estreet

Tele-Holic
.... and this is my dystopian trip-hop version of Elvis' 'Baby Let's Play House.' The guitar that starts at 3:45 and you hear 'fizzle out' at the end was recorded through the 'Digital Distortion' setting on a Zoom G2 - which I've kept for years in case I ever want that sound again. I don't know what else I could use to get it.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I recorded the lead guitar on this through the nastiest amp I could find. It was a solid-state 5 watt thing of the type you get given with a cheap beginner's package. The guitar used was my '66 telecaster. You will see why when I posted this on a Les Paul forum some years ago I got a load of flak - but they should have looked more closely...

I love it! All of it! I thought the solo tone worked great!

Was the rhythm part played on a semi-hollow of some kind?

Funny video images too. I got a big kick out of that; thanks for posting.

Oh boy, I see you mention using a Zoom G2 in your other submission...this thread is going to be Zoom __2 old home week (I used a B2 in the song I posted in the OP).

Off to check out songs and get caught up...

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
.... and this is my dystopian trip-hop version of Elvis' 'Baby Let's Play House.' The guitar that starts at 3:45 and you hear 'fizzle out' at the end was recorded through the 'Digital Distortion' setting on a Zoom G2 - which I've kept for years in case I ever want that sound again. I don't know what else I could use to get it.

Love this one too. The Zoom fizz-out distortion is fun. Both of these pieces have interesting guitar sound juxtapositions in them.

I’m pretty fond of the Zoom bass synth sound I use in my B2 abs don’t know quite how else I’d get that either. But in my case the B2 gets used one way or another on guitar, bass and lap steel so it stays pretty busy. I’ve thought about collecting the whole set to play with (A2, B2, G2 etc.)

That would be kind of a weird collection hobby.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
This is my Katana 50 Mk1 as distorted as it goes. And I went a little whacko with the diminished 1/2 whole scale.
Cool, that’s all Katana? I don’t know that I’ve (knowingly) heard a Katana before, and keep meaning to go try one.

That seems pretty distorted but still useful, not a special-effects-only kind of sound.

It might be tonight before I can check that one out in detail on real speakers, but it had a fun blend of rock crunch and chaos skronk on my phone speaker. Will relisten on better gear later/soon.