1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Please point me to a better reverb tank for DRRI

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by gobi_grey, Jan 16, 2019.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I've never really cared for the reverb on my DRRI. Can someone point me to a better tank? I'd like to get better spaghetti western sounds from it. What is involved in switching them out?
    Thanks!

2. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

What exactly do you want more/less of in your reverb?

The tank is only part of the reverb circuit. I have swapped tanks out before on my TRRI with a MOD tank, and while there is some improvement, it didn't radically change the flavor of the tank. Decay times, drive levels (one of the things that gives it the drip), diffusion , and the number of springs/spring length, are all things that are baked into the circuit giving it's character.

my suggestion is to invest in an outboard solution. you could get a fender tube driven unit or get one of the better reverb pedals on the market as a cheaper substitute. I just recently got the Source Audio True Spring reverb and it is an amazingly natural sounding spring reverb that has the ability to duplicate different tank sizes and other aspects of the reverb... all that and tremolo too.

kubiakl likes this.
  3. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

If you really decide you want to swap tanks, it's very easy and not too expensive. I recommend reading this page, it helped me learn about reverb, compares some different brands and has the all important part numbers so you order the correct tank.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-corner/spring-reverb-tanks-explained-and-compared

ordering is actually the hardest part... for installation, you undo some screws, unplug the input and output wires from the tank and pull it out of the bag, put the new one in (oriented correctly) plug the input and outputs in and screw the bag back down.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Of the current manufacture reverb tanks I prefer the Belton tanks over Mod tanks.

Modman68 likes this.
  5. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

what sort of difference did you hear and how big was the difference?

6. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

Just echoing what Modman68 said - outboard is really the way to go for those surf/spaghetti western sounds. I have a DRRI and while it has a good reverb sound it really is a different beast than the outboard unit. About a year and a half ago I picked up an external tank and WHOA NELLY.

I also have a Topanga pedal (I just might be addicted to reverb) and it gets somewhat close to the tank sound. So if you're looking for a less expensive option I'd check there first. And I'll be honest - while it doesn't sound quite as good as the tank, if I had bought it first I probably wouldn't have bothered with the outboard unit. So much easier to transport and you don't have to worry about tubes, blown transformers, excess noise, any of that stuff. But it isn't quite as splashy and wild.

Another one to look at is the EHX Oceans 11. The review I watched showcased a pretty good splash and drip sound on the spring setting. It's one I'd look at if I were you.

Modman68 likes this.
  7. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I'm thinking maybe longer decay. Not real sure. All I know is that the stock tank just doesn't sound pleasing to me. It's harsh and kind of metallic sounding. Maybe too much attack on the "echoes". It doesn't really do drippy surf and it doesn't really do spaghetti western either. I just never use it. I've got a TC electronics reverb pedal that I'm not real thrilled about either. The spring setting is probably the worst sounding setting on the pedal.

8. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Hate to post a whole video but this guy is pretty awesome, he's showing his fender twin which has really nice reverb.

9. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

The metallic overtones MAY be rectify-able with a new tank, but drip comes more from how hard the tank is driven and it's spring/tank config. The solution for that is outboard.

I REALLY like the source audio True Spring. it is indiscernible from the reverb on my Vibro King is versatile and works great for spaghetti sounds that I use in the band I play in. But there are a lot of other options both pedal and full tank units. Check out the Surf guitar forum... there are a lot of people there who live and breathe reverb.
    https://surfguitar101.com/forums/

10. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

If you don't feel like an outboard unit, one of these is pretty friggin' great.

Modman68 and Bill Moore like this.
  11. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I've been wanting one of those for a while. Seems like they're hard to come by.

I'll check that out. Thanks!

Modman68 likes this.
  12. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. I've got one.

Mainly for use with non-reverb amps like my Marshall MV50.

I've enjoyed some silly just-for-fun blind tests against my DDRI. e.g., making it sound almost exactly like my DRRI to try to discern the difference, also taking it in different directions.

Ultimately I think the DRRI reverb, as it is, is pretty fine. I mostly use small amounts anyway.

In a live setting, no one can tell.

Wildcard_35 and Modman68 like this.
  13. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When I built my "Twin" clone I did some blind tests with some guitars players I know. I had "9" series Accutronics, and Belton, and "4" series Mod, Belton, and an old Gibbs. Everybody believed the Gibbs would be the best, but blind testing showed off the Mod!
    You might try the "9" series tanks, as I feel they are a little more "surfy", but the "Twin" still has the Mod, (as does my DR clone).

14. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Belton tank has a much more musical decay than the Mod tank.

Modman68 likes this.
  15. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm a fan of the Mod tanks but I've heard their quality has fallen off lately and some of their tanks sound better than others.

16. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Try the Belton, as others have said above. I've used both the Belton and the MOD units. I liked the MOD best with a Princeton Reverb and much preferred the Belton with a Deluxe Reverb. The Belton is deeper, rounder, and not as metallic sounding at the top. And the reverb driver tube is critically important as well. Find a 1980's Mullard CV4024. They're fantastic.

https://reverb.com/item/6851432-belton-reverb-tank-4ab3c1b-equivalent

gobi_grey and robrob like this.
  17. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Each individual tank seems to have a different character. As an experiment, I recently bought a Belton, an Accutronics, and an MOD and compared them. The MOD had by far the longest decay, and its sound was quite dark; the reverb was much more powerful than the others as well, with about 6 1/2 on the MOD equal to 10 on the other two.

The Belton and the Accutronics were built in the same factory on the same day, with the branding and the color and placement of the input/output jacks being the only visible difference. They sounded very slightly different, and I preferred the Accutronics, but if I'd tried ten of each, I bet I would have found as much variation from unit to unit of the same brand as between brands.

The classic Fender outboard unit has a unique voice that feels totally authentic for surf and spaghetti western stuff, but I'm selling my 1966. It adds a bit of drive that I don't care for and sucks up some bass, and to me that outweighs its benefits. It's also worth many hundreds more than I paid for it and it takes up too much space. Surfy Bear and VanAmps make outboard units that sound at least as good, cost much less than the original Fender units and usually a bit less than a used RI, and are both more portable and less attractive to thieves. Gomez made an improved copy of the design a few years back, and Billy Zoom sells a somewhat pricey unit called a Big Kahuna that sounds markedly better than the old Fenders and also includes tremolo.

If you wanted to just add a small pedal-sized unit on the front end to enhance the existing 'verb, I think the Topanga is the only contender. I agree that the Spring sound on the TC HoF Reverb sucks, btw; I find this odd because the older Nova Reverb had by far the most convincing spring sound on the market several years before the HoF came out. The Topanga barely surpasses it even today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.