please judge my first 2-piece body joint

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Dimitree, May 22, 2020.

1. Dimitree

Dimitree Tele-Meister

this my first attemp at gluing a two piece body blank togheter (alder),
    the blanks were already planed quite flat from the seller, so I only had to glue them I guess.
    Tried a dry fit and I could not see any gap, but once the glue dried (titebond original) and I scraped the surface, I can see a little gap (measured about 0.01") on one of the face, probably I applied the wrong clamping pressure.
    It's only a visual gap, you can't actually feel it since it's level with the wood.
    Do you think I should redo the job? I could divide the two blocks with the table saw and start again.
    I'm going to paint the guitar in solid color, so I'm just wondering about tone/sustain loss.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

If it is just one side and given you're gonna paint I would just leave it. That happened on my first guitar because of a slightly misaligned jointer. I ended up routing a skunk stripe down the middle.

If the gaps is on both sides I would slice and redo to ensure a strong joint.

Loss of tone/sustain? Haha... doubtful

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If you have access to a jointer to square the saw cut back up, or the skill to use a hand plane, I'd redo it. If not, then I guess I'd leave it. This is assuming the wood is wide enough to still have the width you want after you separate the two parts.

eallen likes this.
  4. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Yes.. rip the blank down the joint.. then use a quality jointer to get the edges correct.. then clamp, I usually place two on each side... you should not see the glue between he two pieces of wood.

r

6. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tone/sustain loss from it is a non-worry on an electric. I'm with Matry above. You can redo it if it bothers you, you have the tools to cut it apart and joint the edges, and the blank is wide enough.

On the other hand, since you are painting it you are fine to leave it. Main thing is you enjoy and congrats on jumping into your 1st build! Keep it up!

Eric

EsquireBoy and fenderchamp like this.
  7. Dimitree

Dimitree Tele-Meister

thanks guys!
    this is not my 1st build, but it's the first time I joint 2 pieces of body blanks

so I decided to slice the two short edges of the blank, to clearly see the inside of the joint.
    It looks really good actually, almost invisible, so I think the small gap on the face was due to the fact that one of the edges probably had a small roundover..so the gap it's just on the surface.
    I think I'll leave it this way and go on with the build, also because I doubt I will get better results

this is gonna be a Jaguar

Attached Files:

Fretting out and Lowerleftcoast like this.
  8. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

A good glue joint is stronger than the wood.
    Your glue joint looks good to me.
    Carry on!

:cool::cool::cool:

9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I agree that the joint is fine as long as you are going to paint it a solid color. If you were going to do any sort of transparent finish it would stand out and you would hate it forever. That is a joint that I only have done a couple of times but when I did I took the blanks to a friend with a jointer (I have no need for one in my little shop) and then I spent a fair amount of time shooting the seam before doing the glue up. All my guitars have transparent finishes and I want that joint to be perfect.

Fretting out likes this.
  10. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

It may still show through a solid finish. Ask me how I know.. I'm in the process of refinishing my first scratch built guitar and without a jointer thought I had a pretty good joint. After the finish went on it stuck out so now that I'm redoing it I ran a bead of epoxy down the seam and it's gone.

11. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I’m 100% with Ron here but only if the O.P has access to a jointer
    If not I think what he’s got going will suffice

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.