1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Please help with personal experience feedback (Bigsby B16, B5, or B50?)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockergirl21, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I kinda favor the black. I like all that chrome on the black but what do I know? The pic up above looks like a CV50 and I think from looking at the pics on the Squier site the VM is a solid white without all that nice wood grain so I could see why you might go with the white.
    I'm just blabbin in case you need the thread to stay alive for more info. But it sounds like you guys are ready to go for it. I wish you luck with it.

2. wannapickone

wannapickone Tele-Holic

I know what I like.....

Howdy RG21 !! ( shortened it up a bit..) I really, really likes the lighter of the two...can't tell If it's Vintage Blonde or Artic White but, it reminds me of me....my CV'50. I like black guitars but, I don't like all the little smudges, swirls & such you can see so easily on them. I like to take care of my equipment but, I don't want to spend more time "cleaning" than playing. However, I do like the contrast of the chrome and polished aluminum against the black.......to cool for school !! I've ordered a new pickguard for my CV'50 and I'll post some pics when it arrives. KEEP ON PICKIN' WPO

Attached Files:

3. pdxjoel

pdxjoel Tele-Holic

I put a B-5 on earlier this year - thread is here. Some notes:

I used an AllParts conversion bridge plate and a Jag bridge with a B-5. Stays in tune great, though the bridge has a tendency to rock toward the neck after lots of playing. Several solutions available, just need to mess with it a bit on the next string change. If I had it to do again, I'd go with an B-5F so it would sit closer to the bridge plate, thereby getting a sharper break angle. Better tuning stability, a little more sustain, and it helps the bridge stay parallel to the body. For looks it's hard to beat the B16, though they change the tone and require a thick neck shim. The shim isn't a big deal if it's done right (solid wood, full pocket length).

Contrary to what I had read on this list, the Jag bridge didn't really change the tone. Just a subtle mellowing of the top end which I've not noticed since the first time I played it post-install. Do it - you'll really like it.

4. Rockergirl21

Rockergirl21 TDPRI Member

I totally agree!!!!!

It looks ridiculously cool on the Black one.

5. Rockergirl21

And I also agree with YOU

Yeah, it's arctic white (and you see no wood grain through it)...
    So there you go, I agree with Randy AND you "WPO"

...WHAT TO DO!?!?!?!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  6. mattdraffen87

mattdraffen87 TDPRI Member

I have the B5 and i love it! Go for it!

7. Randypttt

I sent this over to the 'dude' at Squier but in case he doesn't see it I thought I'd drop it here as well. He did this mod or had it done for him (had someone do the electronics for him so...). He doesn't say too much but I thought you could grill him about it and maybe he'd have some stuff to share.

http://www.squier-talk.com/forum/squier-telecasters/4823-cvc-lots-mods.html

8. Rockergirl21

Thanks for the info

I appreciate that, yeah I'm thinking about the B5F.
    :)

9. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

I had a B5 installed on a Nashville Tele about four years ago. The tech who did the work recommended using a TOM bridge in place of the one that comes with the B5 kit. I went with his advice and was pleased with the result. I had a Duncan mini humbucker put in the neck position at the same time. It was a really nice sounding guitar, but it weighed a ton and I ended up selling it.

[​IMG]

10. Rockergirl21

Thanks Randy and Caliban

This stuff is all really helpful to me!

11. Rockergirl21

I gotta tell ya...

TuxTele7work.jpg
    I'm still just not sure if i want to let someone drill into our Teles (my husband and i own these two). I'm still on the fence, guys, don't hate me.

We may end up not doing the Bigsby and just get a PRS Single cut instead. We went to GC again today and played stuff for two hours. Strats, Teles, Gretches, PRS's, Deans, Ibanez, Les Pauls, At the end of the time Teles "won" (of course!) and the PRS singlecut pretty much tied, to tell the truth. Now, the PRS already has a tremolo, so... If we can wait a while, we may just get one of those.

Thanks for ALL of your help. I hope you all aren't upset with me if I just can't let our Teles become Bigsbyfied...
    OR i guess we could get another Tele a put a Bigsby on THAT one.

I gotta stop obsessing about this, and rambling, and taking up your time, my forum friends. Rockerdude told me this:
    Perhaps waiting a while is best.
    and I'm going to have to admit that he's probably right (THIS TIME! Lol)

12. Randypttt

You guys are too needy for me. I'm not lookin at another post of yours.:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D

13. wannapickone

wannapickone Tele-Holic

RG21..."I gotta stop obsessing about this, and rambling, and taking up your time, my forum friends. Rockerdude told me this:
    Perhaps waiting a while is best.
    and I'm going to have to admit that he's probably right (THIS TIME! Lol)"

Ahhh, come on girl.......! When ya gonna get one, c'mon now when, ya know ya want one.......have ya got one yet, huh, huh.....?? C'mon, c'mon go get yo'seff a Bigsby.....heh,heh,heh..........
    WPO

14. Rockergirl21

First of all...Needy Shmeedy! Lol, Randy

:lol::D:lol::D

....and as for YOU WPO...you're right, I DO want one. I REALLY DO... Was practicing with friends tonite, and neck bending was getting just a bit old...if I had the Bigs, it would've saved me all that, right!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  15. Rockergirl21

OK

This is my 99.9% sure decision (my husband left the final call to me, smart guy! Lol)
    I'm going B5 on the Black One. The only problem now is, getting the money, about $100 for the Bigsby, a bit more for the new bridge ($30-50 right?), I'd like to add locking tuners ($30 more), and have it professionally installed ($60)...I think I'm well over $200, basically. We are paycheck to paycheck, so It may not be till sometime in the summer, and a paying gig or two. (Most of the stuff we do is volunteer) Thanks so much everyone! :D

16. Rockergirl21

Is the bridge in this kit ok?

MC_086-8013-002.jpg

Tele B5 kit

17. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Perfect!

18. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I'd still advise for using a B5 in combination with a notched 3-saddle Tele bridge, instead of this kit - no need to drill two large holes, none of the problems that Jazzmaster bridge from the kit is notorious for (like strings slipping of the saddles), no shimming, and no tonal changes; unless it is for looks only, I don't see any adantages in using that kit...

19. Rockergirl21

Good to know...thanks!

I appreciate the reply, and ALL your helpful advice, RomanS!

20. frankencat

frankencat Tele-Meister

Great thread. I am thinking about putting a B50 on my CV Tele. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.