Please help with amp decision-- Bordeaux Princeton or Bordeaux Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by CQLove, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw a friend of mine yesterday play with his band. He played a '70's ES 335 into a SF Princeton mic'ed through the PA with a few basic pedals. Sounded great. I wish I'd recorded it.

So for your needs, including if you do find time to play out once in a while, go with the PR!

t guitar floyd and CQLove like this.
  2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I have both, bought the DRRI first but lugging it back and forth twice a week motivated me to get the Princeton and leave it at church. Everyone's advice here is spot on. I actually love the sound of the DRRI, it's full, rich, and has clean tones to die for. It never goes beyond 3 out in my shop but is delicious at that volume. The PRRI your headed for is 15 watts with a twelve and can be plenty loud. With the Jensen P12Q it doesn't start breaking up till you get close to 5 and that's quite loud. Put a ceramic speaker in it and it really roars. Either one is going to be a clean blackface tone, quite different from what you're used to now, so be prepared to use the overdrive pedal. I'm sure you'll love either one.

CQLove likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Plug single coils into input 1 and humbucker guitars into input 2 and the Princeton should be clean up to drummer level, 4-5 on the volume, just crack back volume on the guitar a smidge.

Just remember it's a Champ power transformer so as volume goes up, you might need to drop the bass setting a little. But a Princeton is classic Fender reverb and trem plus 6V6 breakup which is why so many have been recording - and gigging - amps of choice. The DR too, but it's a 'bit more' in every way and more a gigging amp. You can't really lose either way.

Priinceton has the cathode follower style of phase inverter which leads to lovely touch response - the flipside is some distortion effects can be splatty/ratty sounding on occasion. You can fix that with needs a minor circuit mod. Some people don't have an issue with it.

Tremolo on the Princeton, being bias vary is also perhaps a bit nicer although the DRs is far from dreadful.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  4. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

I have both kind of in that I have the wine deluxe and a 65 reissue princeton albiet with a green back 10. The first thing I thought when I got the deluxe was-with the alnico it is about same volume as princeton with ceramic. The green back in the princeton i currently have also is less sensitive than a stock speaker- so in the living room 4 or 5 is not out of line. (I live alone in big house). WHile the princeton can nail a couple tones better than anything-the deluxe is always going to be the better amp- to me. As someone mentioned earlier- it is just so lush- and the jenson really sounds great with this circuit. The princeton is lighter, easier to tote around and better for me in the living room where I dont want to overdo the music thing-but the deluxe would be the one I would keep if it came to that point. Buy the deluxe first and if you dont dig it you may be able to trade to get the other one without more cash outlay.

Telebeestar and CQLove like this.
  5. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I have the Bordeaux Princeton with the 12" Jensen.

Sounds magic.

But contrary to some of the other guys here, anything over 3 is too loud in my house. Mrs. C gets easily annoyed.

Got to play with a drummer and really work the amp for the second time over new year holiday. I got to turn it up to 7, and it nearly brought me to tears.

Glorious!

I took my lucky Plimsoul with me but didn't use it. At that volume there was nothing left in the amp to boost. Sounded same with or without the drive pedal.

But I was able to roll guitar volume back and get clean-ish while staying loud enough to be heard. (But who wants to play that clean anyway )

And it was actually much louder out front relative to where I was standing.

t guitar floyd and CQLove like this.
  6. Telebeestar

Telebeestar TDPRI Member

I have the Bordeaux Deluxe Reverb, I actually Traded in my 68 custom Princeton for it. The Princeton was too muddy/bass heavy. With the deluxe it stays clean up(very chimey almost swirling 3-d like clean)to about 6.5 then it overdrives sweetly after that.

I actually got to compare the two in the shop and the Princeton was rather stiff compared to the big clean sound of the deluxe.

If I were going to get a Princeton Reverb Reissue I would look for the limited edition (white/orange) now that one was pretty sweet.

7. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

DR + attenuator?

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

For your situation, I'd get the Princeton.

Update - after clicking your link now I'm getting Bordeaux Princeton ads. Hate it when that happens.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  9. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Gotta figure that in the past eight months he's pulled the trigger on one of the two...Drri for me

10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

At non gigging volumes without a drummer, the Princeton is King!
    If you jam loud with people, you may want the Deluxe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.