Please help with amp decision-- Bordeaux Princeton or Bordeaux Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by CQLove, Jan 14, 2019.

1. CQLove

CQLove Tele-Meister

Hello good people! I am having such a hard time deciding between these two amps. Have been mulling it over for a few years. Wife is buying me one of these for my birthday in a couple weeks.

Bordeaux Deluxe Reverb https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-inch-tube-combo-amp-limited-edition-wine-red or

Bordeaux https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...ordeaux-reserve?rNtt=fender princeton&index=2

I am not a gigging musician and play mainly in my man cave room in my garage. Here is a video of where I play and my current setup.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. neilshane

neilshane Tele-Meister

I'm far from an expert, but I have owned the regular reissue version of both of these amps. I'm not a gigging musician either. In my opinion, the Deluxe is far too loud for home use. I could not turn it past about 3 on the dial. It's a nice amp, it's just really loud.

The volume on the Princeton is more manageable, though for home use you'll need a good drive pedal if you want any distortion out of it.

3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

very nice tone on the videos! be extra nice to your wife and maybe she'll buy you both.

CQLove and t guitar floyd like this.
  4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Bordeaux?
    I'm more of a Night Train Peavey guy.

CQLove likes this.
  5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

For man cave jamming, I'd say Princeton. You may be able to get it into slight breakup territory without annoying the neighbors. And that is great territory to be in.

If you play only clean, clean, clean, maybe get the DR.

Telebeestar and CQLove like this.
  6. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I'm a Princeton die hard. I've played every gig I've done for the last 6 years with an old Princeton. Miced up, of course (Senheiser e609). The tone of that old amp just can not be beat.

7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I vote for the Princeton. I love those little things. I also own a vintage Deluxe Reverb that I think is fantastic, but the Princeton best fits what you need.

coloradojeff and CQLove like this.
  8. CQLove

CQLove Tele-Meister

Can the princeton still fit the clean bill? I play clean as well. But do like to rock out!

9. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

I was at a rehearsal with another guitarist a couple of days ago, and we were talking about Princetons vs other (similar) amps. I have a Princeton 68 Custom RI, and the other guitarist showed up with a custom amp based on a Princeton (hers has no reverb and no tremolo; just a pedal-platform in a light cabinet. Nice amp.)
    We talked about tone and about volume. I play gigs with a full band, but we don't get too terribly loud; she plays everything from jazz to really heavy rock. Both of us feel that the Princeton is all we need; loud enough to be heard on stage, and exactly the tone we like the most.
    I've considered getting a Deluxe Reverb to have a louder amp for certain types of gigs, but I realized that those types of gigs don't actually happen: any gig that would need more volume than my Princeton produces is sure to have the amps mic'ed. A DR sounds great at a volume sufficient to fill a small club, but that is already too much stage volume for me.
    Another guitarist that I know feels under-amplified without his 100W, 4x10 amp behind him. For him, a big part of his tone is feeling the force of the sound coming through his amp.

So back before I bought my Princeton, I was trying to make a decision between a PRRI and a DRRI. Just for the tone, without considering volume, weight, etc, I chose the Princeton.

OlRedNeckHippy and CQLove like this.
  10. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Your playing is very good! You could be in a gigging band. I vote Princeton . . . works well at home and on stage too. Buy something nice for your wife! :)

CQLove likes this.
  11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

The Princeton dirties up more quickly, maybe 4-5 on the dial (at least on my PRRI). Also it is beautiful clean--in fact i prefer it clean to the DRRI, but that's my opinion. I'm sure others will address this issue.

CQLove likes this.
  12. CQLove

CQLove Tele-Meister

Thank you sir! Maybe one day I will be able to get out and gig but with a wife, two small children, and full time job, time seems to evade me quite a bit lately : )

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    t guitar floyd likes this.
  13. CQLove

CQLove Tele-Meister

Awesome, that is definitely good news. As of right now leaning towards the Princeton! Thanks!

14. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

I agree with the others... A DR is quite loud. Both of these amps sound great, but if you just plan to play at home go for the Princeton Reverb. It's a very full sounding quiet(er) amp.

You likely would be hanging out at 2.5-3 on the DR volume. With the PR you could go from 3.5-5 without alarming anyone.

The DR has nicer tube breakup than the PR, but if you can't get the house to yourself for a while you likely aren't going to notice.

15. t guitar floyd

My kids are grown (50ish yr old men ha ha), but I have the wonderful wife, full time job and a houseful of cats (seem like small children). I do manage a one-night weekend gig and I plan on retiring this spring, so gigs are a-comin'. I play through a PRRI in blonde w/ Celestion Gold 10". If I was in Texas, I'd hire you in a minute! A one or two night gig would be easy for an energetic youngster like yourself. :cool:

Btw, my darling wife got me an AO 50s Strat for Christmas! :)

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  16. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I'm a fan of the Princeton 65 reissue.

17. CQLove

CQLove Tele-Meister

Appreciate the comment! Wives are awesome aren't they? Enjoy that strat! Did you name it after your wife?

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have the princeton bordeaux..plopped in an big alnico 12..great..

CQLove likes this.
  19. t guitar floyd

Ha ha! My wife used to name my guitars, but after I sold "Goldie" (a 50s Gibson Flying V RI) she quit. The AO just goes by the moniker of "Brownie". I got her a Yamaha keyboard for Christmas. I'll see if she gets around to naming that. :)

Oh yeah . . . wives are awesome!

20. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

I bought the wine-red DRRI new from Sweetwater when I started gigging again. I have three thoughts:

1) A Deluxe Reverb is too loud for small bars, let alone your home. I can't turn it up loud enough to get any drive from the amp at small gigs. I put an Eminence Maverick in there to get some attenuation. Still too much amp 80% of the time.

2) There are zillions of used DRRI's out there. There's no point paying a premium for new when you can get a perfectly good one (with a broken-in speaker) for $300 less. I figure I lost $300 buying this amp new. Or buy an original silver-face that will hold its value if you're set on a DR.

3) I thought the amp with the P12Q was way too bright for a Tele. Clipped the bright cap, still happier with the darker-sounding Eminence (which is a good speaker).

YMMV, of course.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.