Please help with 72 thinline manufacturing dates

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Johnnypops, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

I'm determined to get to the bottom of this as I've NOW just found out the person who gave the guitar to the guy I bought it off is attached to a music touring company so I'm now trying to find out the name of that person but the promotion company has brought every large act from Nirvana to Springsteen to Australia.
    When he'd said producer I'd assumed film which might not be the case but he has promised to try find out who they were because he didn't arrange the photo shoot.

The intrigue is building for me and I haven't even physically touched the beast yet :(

Probably will turn out to have no real value and no provenance to a name artist but I just thought(hoped) initially it might have been one of the first 72's ever made because I don't know enough about this tuner from that tuner but I knew it seemed too early for 72 thinline having a 70 serial number and knew double binding and lacquer to be not normal but did know the rosewood necks were an optional extra as were colours other than natural and sunburst but had to be had form custom order.

This however is probably/definitely not the case... unfortunately so just have to pray now that it came from Harrison or Dylan or someone, but I know I'm just kidding myself. Funny how a guy could have owned a guitar so long and never wondered about it's origins.

As a side note the vendor has sent me the most amazing photo of his swingtags of the bands that he has worked with incl pretenders, Dylan, Springsteen (in 85), Weller, Simple Minds, Madonna, Petty, Floyd, Glastonbury some with photo id proving their validity.

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Well keep us posted!

3. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Thanks Rob2 I can now see most of what you are seeing and all I can say is WOW you have an eye for details
    I can now see the guard screw layout is inconsistent but seems like the pick guard matches what you would get if trying to turn screw pattern of a 68-71 into a 72. It’s the screws around the tone and vol are matching 68 not 72 and sharp guard edge around bridge a little sharp
    Amazing what I can see now I’m really looking at every detail
    Best I can hope for is for a 70 that’s been fairly reasonably turned into a 72 at sometime and probably refinished and reliced at that time. Will know more next week

Still can’t see what you meant about the Seth pups but will try find more images to get a better idea but if it’s a 70 that’s been converted then it makes sense they might not be wrhb but might have some level of authenticity to it but not originality in which case I get to love it and keep it instead of finding its worth a bomb and feeling I need to sell it
    Hoping the neck might be genuine which will be a huge bonus But could have been renecked at any time. Will soon find out I guess

4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Hey Jonnypops, if you have more photos, or when you receive the guitar, please upload them with the full image option rather than the thumbnail. We will be able to view them better. The more good views the better, thanks.

Who knows what you have at the moment? Things like tuners, necks for that matter, wear and get replaced. A touring pro wouldn't worry about era correct hardware, just that it works well. But there are a lot of issues here.

You do have us interested and we are awaiting your in hand pics and description.

Here's a pic of my '75 tuners, note the hole in the edge of the gear cover. The later ones are like the photo you posted.

75_thinline-hs-2.jpg

And when you take the pickguard off the bottom of the pick ups should look like this one from my '73 Tele Custom. Note the last 2 digits are the year date. If the bottom looks different you have the recent versions.

73_CUSTOM_PU.jpg

What's the expected arrival time on your guitar?

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I hate to point it out but this is a nice partscaster.
    Thinline II came out in 1972,the pickups aren't original Seth Lover Wideranges but recent reissues and of course there is the binding,four bolt , dome knobs , rosewood fretboard ,tortoise guard discrepancy.
    Cool looking axe though

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Not to mention the lack of a bullet truss rod carefully hidden in the seller's pictures :rolleyes:

7. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

.....you may well find this guitar has a real and interesting history even if its a partscaster and not genuine in itself...!...it will be your call then if you like it as a player and its a acquisition you're happy with or whether you want to have a "talk" with the vendor!
    .....I've been around 70's Fender's since the mid 80's,they were the only option for a US fender in Ireland at the time(new were too expensive and few older ones had been imported) but were nearly always in bad shape after 10 years on the pub/showband/wedding band scene...
    ....it was a quite a learning curve and I'm still learning though I own 12 various Fender from '69 to '81 including 2 thinline 2's and have worked on many many more!...so very interested in how your's turns out...!

8. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Hi too much fun it’s being picked up today by freight company and will arrive Tuesday (Monday in US) all being well.
    I’m confident it has had a life where it started as a genuine Fender but can see it’s been extremely modified over its early life. I am also anxious to pull it apart to see what bits it’s actually got but am now trying to get to bottom of its history

9. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Hi Rob2 I agree that it may be the history I need to focus on.

The guy I got it from was mainly a songclip director and funnily was explaining how he often includes himself in clips (including the Floyd pulse videos where he had himself portray Syd in some of the show footage’ and pointed me to a Madonna clip where he appears and showed he has the jacket he wore because Madonna gifted him that and I can clearly see it’s the guy whose drivers license photo I have. Pretty cool. Have also verified some clips attributed to him and loads of professional photos on artists sites attributed to him

So the guitar was gifted to him by a lady with Frontier Touring/ Chugg Entertainment who are a very big part of Australian Music History and who were a company who took Aussie bands to uk in the 70s and 80s and first brought the police and uk squeeze and many others to Australia so I’m really hoping the answer lies with her once I find out who she was

I’ve got a lot more digging around to go but the intrigue continues until I eventually find out that it was her ex husbands favorite guitar and she just wanted to give it away to annoy him or something like that

rob2 likes this.
  10. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister

This guitar screams “mojo”. What a cool history. If you listen quietly,
    It has a great story and and a life all it’s own. It may not be what it was first presented as, you’ll have the be the judge of the monetary value.
    Good luck. Keep us in the loop...

11. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Ha, thanks hammerdog.
    Mojo yes, history definitely, intrigue absolutely

Hear that sustain it been going like that since I last strummed it
    Don’t touch it or you might kill the sustainability !!!
    Maybe Kirk hammet might want it ;-)

Hammerdog likes this.
  12. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

...somebody's in denial...

13. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

neat build, it's good lookin, but it screams relic'd partscaster.

Gotta see under the hood to know for sure what we're lookin at - pickups, controls, neck and pickup pockets, more headstock detail (as in - where's the truss rod bullet?).

and yes, I am indeed a 'cork sniffer' :p

14. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Well my new lady has arrived
    A few more pix and will take her to the vintage shop to have them break her in half and tell me about her
    The double binding is in tortoise shell and not black like I’d assumed. Stunning in the flesh but not normal I’m assuming, has anyone seen this before?
    I also think it may be a mahogany body as it’s quite deep pink/ brown through the f hole

Attached Files:

15. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

C1C767C5-4400-4633-86D3-C2F9C3401CF1.jpeg FC905947-7548-4263-93D3-DB71DDFFDC07.jpeg C7579646-B9F0-435A-AF41-7B5D7B7AFDAB.jpeg Ok it seems it’s probably Warmoth body and neck.
    Any one recognize the pickups?

Attached Files:

16. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Yes they are MIM Wide Range reissues. Why do you think the body and neck are Warmoth? Warmoth parts are almost always logo'd in the neck heel and neck pocket.

17. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

The only thing I see Fender is the neck plate, tuners, pick ups, headstock decal and possibly the bridge. The only thing that might be from the '70's is the neck plate and I'd want to look at the number stamping up close.

Could this be a custom build for a touring pro? Maybe, but the pick ups were not made until the 1990's ('96?).

The seller knew enough to advertise as a '72 Thinline due to the 4 bolt neck (I'd have to see a confirmed '72 model with a 4 bolt neck to believe it myself).

It may be a keeper to you, but if it was me I'd make the seller show proof (photos, correspondence, or such) of who gave it to him or I'd cry fraud and ask for a refund.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  18. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

Buy Tony Bacon's book on Telecasters, has kept me from making some unwise decisions. He does USA and also a Squier edition. Wonderful reference point on all things Tele.

19. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Hi Antoon
    The pick guard has a sticker that says Warmoth and the body definitely matches the options available and has copper shielding on body where the logo would be, I might pull up the shielding but it doesn’t matter much because it’s not Fender body or neck.
    I’m going to ask for proof of where he got it as at the moment it all may well be from 90s and he may not have known if it was given to him but it’s disappointing

20. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I find it odd that the relic crackling of the finish doesn't extend under the pickguard area, where the finish seems almost normal. I wonder how you get that crackling without removing the pickguard?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.