Please help me which Fender to buy?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by crcic, Mar 22, 2019.

1. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I'm playing guitar for no more than 6-7 months and coupe of days ago while I was practicing hotel California solo (the first 50 seconds of the solo :) ) I realized that I need electric guitar.

At the moment I have 1 Yamaha FG650MS acoustic guitar and one very old Yamaha pacifica el. guitar. However, I decided to go with Fender. Telecaster was my first choice but 10 minutes while watching videos on youtube I changed my mind and I definitely want to go with stratocaster. So, I'm confused between these models, is there any big differences and/or which one will you recommend me?

http://mimimuzika.com.mk/index.php/...relgitari/f-stratocaster/3816-0144503525.html

or

http://mimimuzika.com.mk/index.php/...relgitari/f-stratocaster/1961-0144602506.html

The prices is the same, nearly 630 EUR.

Or I should go with Telecaster after all?

Thank you

2. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Can you try them out?

Of the two I mildly prefer the Player telecaster- I like modern C necks and the two point tremolo. That is just personal preference. The other has the 70s headstock and 6 screw tremolo.

These are little preference things, many players have different opinions. And real playability, it's more down to how well the guitars are setup.

Both are good guitars.

3. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Play everything you can get your hands on, then buy the one that sings to you.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I'd go with the first one the "Player, pau ferro" personally. A Strat is definitely a good choice and has many built in options in sound. 5 way switching, tremelo, etc. A Tele is a bit more set in it's sound. Both are great though.

5. Sarde

Sarde Tele-Meister

Go to a music shop and try out both a strat and a tele. Ask questions to the people who work there about how to get the amp setup and how to use the knobs on the guitar (hopefully you get someone helpful). Pick the one you like best. As for which guitars I think the made in Mexico Fenders represent a great cost to playability ratio; especially for a new, but serious player.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Get a Jaguar or a Jazzmaster.

7. dptele

dptele TDPRI Member

The advice to go to the store with the most guitars is sage advice. Pick up two dozen different ones, even those that look identical and you will find they are ALL different. You will find that some necks are way better than others in shape or feel, some bodies of the same exact guitar are heavier or way lighter than others, some have pickups or bridges that interfere in your style of picking, etc. Try em all out and narrow it down to the best ones. I agree that the player teles and player strats are pretty great for the money.

FenderGuy53 and Dismalhead like this.
  8. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Sorry for the confusion, English is not my primary language. What I wanted to say is that I decided to go with stratocaster, I was just wondering which one of these 2 strats. to buy?

http://mimimuzika.com.mk/index.php/...relgitari/f-stratocaster/1961-0144602506.html

or

http://mimimuzika.com.mk/index.php/...relgitari/f-stratocaster/3816-0144503525.html

the guy in the guitar shop was not very helpful, and was pretty arrogant, like only people who know to play guitar professionally can go there and buy guitars. I tried both of them and I did not notice any difference, I like the red color. :) Unfortunately there is only 2 guitar shops where I live and the other one http://doremi.mk/ sell only yamaha and ibanez, no fender.

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Before you even think about choosing, try out at least 10 Fenders. The selection MUST include Classic Series strats and teles :)

PS: don't judge too quickly: be mindful of the amp you're plugged in! Good guitar in crap amp sounds like crap. Crap guitar in good amp sounds not bad!

PPS: don't judge too quickly: some guitars are good ones, only they're set up like sh*t!

PPPS: have fun!

10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The Player Strat is the replacement for the Standard, so the Standard should be sold at a reduced discontinued price, because the player is a better guitar all around. It has 22 frets instead of 21, the American style two point trem, and most importantly, much better pickups. So, if they're the same price, I would say definitely go for the Player Strat.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Player Strat "on paper" is the better choice, but when it comes to instruments, the specs don't tell the whole story. It is like buying shoes, you don't buy them based on looks, you buy the ones that fit your feet the best. You need to get the guitar in your hands, that is the only way you can decide which is the right one.

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Trying to save you some pain here: Please don't just get a Strat without playing a lot of different guitars first. Not just Fenders either - try out a variety of brands and models from Gibson, Epiphone, PRS, Schecter, etc. Play some expensive ones that are out of your price range. They're all very different in feel and in the sound that's gonna come out of your amp. A Strat is a very distinctive guitar in both tone and the way you play it, and it's polarizing - you're either gonna end up loving it or hating it and it may take a while to figure out which camp you're in. I've got three, but they're not for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that. IMO the Telecaster is more "user friendly"; straightforward tones and simple controls.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  13. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Thank you all for your answers but I really play for 6 months, and believe me, every guitar is almost the same to me. I can't make any big differences. That is why I'm asking here. I really like the telecaster a lot, I don't know, when I first saw it I fell in love in the telecaster (Jonny Ramone from the Ramones play on telecaster and that is my favorite band from when I was kid), but from what I read and watch on the internet on stratocaster you can play everything, ofcourse you can play it on telecaster too but for example heavy metal sounds better on stratocaster than on telecaster etc... (not that I will ever play in a heavy metal band) :) So, I have time till Monday to change my mind. :) But hey if I buy a stratocaster and I don't like it I can always buy a telecaster. :) My wife will hate it but who cares, her mobile phone cost like 2 fenders, don't let me start talking about her perfumes etc.... :)

14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Given your last post... buy whichever Strat or Tele grabs you the most. And if you buy a Strat, figure on getting a Tele next. Or vice-versa.

I was a confirmed Strat player for decades and never had any interest in a Tele. That is until I bought one on a whim. Now? I have 4 Strats and 11 Teles, if that "Teles" you anything!@. :lol: My Teles get more play time than my Strats do.

I still love my Strats, though. There's nothing like a good Strat. And nothing like a good Tele!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    JustABluesGuy, Dismalhead and crcic like this.
  15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

1) Versatility. Beg to differ. Of the two, the swiss knife is the tele. It can go from jazz to hard rock effortlessly. Neither is very well suited in stock form (i.e. all single coil pickups) for metal, although of course can do. Even here, I think the tele has the edge because it has a meaner bridge pickup. Don’t get me wrong, I have both and love strats!

2) A relevant question so we can really help you is: what music do you want to play on it? And what’s your amp?

3) I understand that at this stage every guitar is almost the same to you. That’s why you have to go and try a few. To be able to spot the differences and choose. Your tastes will probably evolve, and you may swap guitars down the line, but you have to decide for NOW. The order of importance is:
    - does it feel comfortable in your hands and on you? Neck and body shape are the important things… and you can’t change them except at high cost!
    - does it sound good to you, clean and (if relevant) distorted?
    - do you like the way it looks?

Go and have fun!

PS: as your tastes may still evolve a lot, and the guitar you LOVE today may become one you want to change later, consider buying used from a good shop… better quality for same price, and no big value loss if you sale down the line.

JustABluesGuy, Dismalhead and crcic like this.
  16. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Unless you are a woman. :D

Dismalhead likes this.
  17. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

2. I'm learning to play old songs/bands something like Eagles, Deep Purlpe, Pink Floyd, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Ramones stuff like that... Unfortunately I don't have amp. I'm planing that one as e next step, once I buy the guitar to start searching for an amp.

3. I have tried couple of ibanez series, yamaha-s, jacksons but the first time I tried fender I know that was the one for me. As for the look i like the red one from the links that I sent above. And once I go to the guitar shop on Monday I will try that one once more and the telecaster and which one touch mu heart at that moment I will buy it.

And don't worry about the money, I'm not billionaire but I can afford to spend money for 1-2 guitars per year. The biggest problem is what to lie to my wife when she notice a lot of guitars in the house. :) She does not understand my passion.

As for the good/bad shop, unfortunately I'm limited here, we have only 2 guitar shops here, and by here I mean not just in the town where I live but in the whole country. :(

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

See how a Tele is used to 'cover it all'

A Strat is much improved by blocking the trem and adding an Armstrong Blender mod. Because of the location of the Strat volume, players tend to pick up by the middle and neck pickups which sounds different than over the bridge pickup that is the most often Tele picking location (but watch close how Bill Kirchen plays in the video -- picking all over).

howardlo and crcic like this.
  19. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

If you can swing it buy a Strat and a Tele, and you will have pretty much all the basses covered.

DHart likes this.
  20. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

For the music you mean to play, both the tele and the strat are fine. Only you can say which one is best by trying them out.

I suggest you buy the amp with the guitar. Without an amp, an electric guitar is not a very useful object! I would also reserve enough money to buy a satisfactory amp. In my experience, for home use, Super Champ X2s and Mustangs are very nice, although they require a little bit of tweaking. Others will chime in with their preferences. The point being: it’s pointless to buy an electric guitar and no amp, and it’s pointless to spend all your money on a pricey guitar and then buy a bad amp. The amp is more than 50% of your sound ;)

Happy shopping!

crcic, Dismalhead and WelshBluesMan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.