1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Please help me ID a no-name Les Paul Copy.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by EasyRiderK, Aug 12, 2012.

1. EasyRiderK

EasyRiderK TDPRI Member

So my buddy just paid €180 for this and a stand, cable, strap and a vox valvetronic 15watt amp. Lets call the guitar €60/$80.

It has no name on it at all, no serial number or anything. It looks like its taken some abuse over the year. It was fitly, I had to wipe it down for the photo's. However on playing it, it was truly one of the nicest guitars I've played and sounded pretty decent both acoustically and plugged in.

[​IMG]

I have a full photo album of it here >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/karldenby/sets/72157631037553684/

* It appears to have an arched top, seems like its the top, back and core of the body are 3 distinct piece of wood, with binding between the middle/back and middle/top
    * It appears to have a veener on front and back
    * It has a Zero fret, and the saddles are plastic
    * Its a bolt on neck, the plate is not just square though, maybe that gives some clue?
    * The wiring doesn't look too old, i've seen guitars from the 90's look very similar
    * Fret markers stop at the 17th fret, the 7th fret mark has been replaced
    * I know the knobs are aftermarket
    * pickups had a gold finish, but neck is now chrome and bridge is fading.

So anybody got a clue what it is?

I plan to clean it up properly, put the pickup surround for the bridge in the right way around, put a set of ernie ball 10's on it and not much else, if its in fact worth between €0 - €60 :cool:

2. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

might be a custom luthier job, or someone ashamed of a copy so they sanded off and repainted the headstock

3. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

The general look of the guitar is similar to 70s or early 80s copies by Kay, Satellite or Avon, but I've never seen a neck plate like that so it's still a mystery.

4. maryjane

maryjane Tele-Afflicted

looks like a copy of an electra copy of a gibson

5. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Go over to www.vintaxe.com and post up your pix. I have a couple of odd ball MIJ guitars and those guys ID'ed them way quicker than I thought possible.
    And of course, nice guitar. My first real electric was a bolt-neck LP copy like yours, it was a 70's Hondo but the brand (or lack of one) doesn't mean much. There were a half-dozen factories back then turning out guitars with 35663467 different names on them (or no name at all)

6. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

The last neck I saw like that with the rounded fingerboard end, binding all the way around, and the zero fret was on a Cortez..they later became Cort. My best guess anyway.

7. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

Looks like something from the 70s though for sure!

8. D in Conduct

D in Conduct Tele-Meister

The neckplate points to Kawai/Teisco and the neck is almost identical to the two Kent guitars I have that are Kawai/Teisco except that the truss rod adjustment is at the other end on mine. Same gray wiring as on mine, but they might all have bought wire from the same place then. Mine were made around 1967.

9. fatboymjt

fatboymjt Former Member

...70's asian...

10. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

One of the hundreds of early 70's Asian copies. Magnum, Atlas, Hondo, etc. Bent plywood top and plywood body. Looks like single coils in humbucker covers. $80 isn't bad. If it plays and sounds good it's priceless.

11. EasyRiderK

EasyRiderK TDPRI Member

Nice one guys, thanks for all the info, pretty sure the price was fair then, I'll clean it up as best I can, a buddy of mine is broke but wanted it for his first guitar, so I bought it and said if he can afford to pay me for it at the end of this month (or next) then I'll sell it to him at cost. That way I get to play with it a few weeks and make sure it is setup right for him too.

They are real humbuckers, I did an A/B with my Tele and the hum from the Tele was very noticable, no noise at all from the LP copy. I have to switch around the surround for the bridge pickup later so I'm hoping some kind of date will be in there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.