Please help me find a SIMPLE boost? Thanks!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by richedie, May 30, 2013.

1. richedie

richedie Tele-Meister

Hi guys!

Can I ask a question around this pedal? I use my amps' gain for everything, I don't use OD pedals and have no desire to fuss with them. For all flavors of gain, I use my amps - Bogner Shiva, PWE Event Horizon and modified Dual Rectifier.

Now, for some songs, I have my amp gain barely opened up, so rather clean. For example, we play a Matthew Sweet song, Sick of Myself. On this song, I have the gain at like 9:00! When I go into the leads (lots of solos on this tune) my built in amp solo boost only adds volume. I want to add thickness, gain, sustain and maybe mids for the solos.

For this I like simplicity and not too expensive. Transparency is also key. What about any of these? Others? Keep in mind transparency is over rated. A pedal will always color the tone, it is the nature of the beast, but lets face it, some sound way more natural and blend with various amps than others.

Keeley Katana or Java Boost, Xotic EP, Love Pedal Amp 50, Electro Harmonix LPB-1, or others?

Simple is key! I don't want to be fussing with knobs. :)

Must be analog. Not digital.

Thanks! :)

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I recommend the BBE Boosta Grande. EHX LPB-1 and MXR Micro Amp will work too. I don't see a reason to break the bank on this, IMO and YMMV.

The TC Spark Boost looks very cool imo.

The Dingotone HZD Boost looks cool too imo.

Those last two have multiple knobs. BBE only has one knob.

There is a recent thread in the Stomp Box, with many suggestions http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/404966-recommend-clean-boost-true-bypass.html

Also, this
    sounds like you are describing a tube screamer. Again, ymmv

3. richedie

richedie Tele-Meister

Thanks, must be analog and sound very natural. I don't want it to sound and feel like I kicked on a pedal. For example, my Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive feels like an extension of my amp. Maybe I just use that?

4. MikeMurray

MikeMurray Tele-Holic

Or use your guitar's volume control. Or a volume pedal.

5. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

Sorry, but transparent? Really? You want a pedal that doesnt sound like anything? Use your guitars volume knob! Hehe, only joking.
    I am happy with my lpb1, but its not "transparent" it sounds like you kicked on a pedal, it adds some bottom and grit. Works perfectly for me for what you asked for

6. waparker4

BBE Boosta Grande is like that

My reference is strats and teles into DRRI. boosta makes it sound like LOUDER STRATS AND TELES INTO DRRI

7. richedie

richedie Tele-Meister

I thought about that and have done it that way, but never works as well as I like. I prefer a pedal for the boost.

8. richedie

richedie Tele-Meister

Keep in mind transparency is over rated. A pedal will always color the tone, it is the nature of the beast, but lets face it, some sound way more natural and blend with various amps than others.

Thanks for the input!

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

TC makes great pedals and their Spark Boost should work nicely for you. I have it's daddy, a classic boost + distortion, on my board and it's a great pedal either way I use it but most of the time it's used a simple clean boost like you're looking for.

10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Pickup Booster by Duncan, or as said tweak the front end of the amp with your git vol pot @ 3/4 so when you open up the guitar it gets you there.
    That one is easier to try of course...

11. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I never know what people really want on forums. Personally what works for me depends on the guitar.

For single coils something along the lines of the BBE or Visual Sound truetone boost works well but for humbuckers I have better results with a switchable 10 band EQ. Especially with EL tubes. Can't explain why.

12. richedie

richedie Tele-Meister

Thanks, I love TC pedals! Is the Spark Boost, analog???? Please say yes. And does it compete with the Green Rhino? :)

I don't want a clean boost. I want to add gain for sure, maybe some comp and mids.

13. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

I generally use a TS clone with the gain zeroed and the level and tone dimed and it opens things right up, maybe a pinch of gain if I want a bit more drive, but mostly zeroed. Works great. Probably not what you're after, but I thought I'd throw it in there.

14. richedie

richedie Tele-Meister

That is awesome! I finally tried my J&J Overdrive like that, Volume and Tone maxed but Gain down low, about 9:00. Maybe I am OK without a tube screamer because using so little gain at the amp, I don't need lots of mids to cut through on solos, the J&J with the volume up really boost my signal and makes everything louder, thicker with great sustain for leads! When I run my amp with medium or high gain, I use the amp's solo boost.

15. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Simple boost?...

[​IMG]

Leave the EQ sliders flat, and boost the output. Doesn't get much simpler.

16. waparker4

Yeah it does :p

[​IMG]

17. CajunPicker316

CajunPicker316 Tele-Holic

Xotic EP Boost

18. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

+1 on the EQ.

19. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Zvex Super Hard On, bit cashy new but can be had used. One knob, cant get much simpler and they sound awesome.

20. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

For your needs, I'd recommend the Visual Sound Truetone. I love it. It replaced a Durham Electronics Sex Drive on my board, which is a fantastic pedal in it's own right. You should be able to find one used for $60 or so.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.