1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Please Help Me Choose Pups, Circuit for a New Partscaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by jw_hall, Jan 2, 2021.

1. jw_hall

jw_hall TDPRI Member

Hi All, new here. And a fairly recent guitar player (1.5 yrs) having played bass for almost 40 years in a part-time, touring cover band. Anyway, I'm working on a new partscaster build and I'd really appreciate input on some as-yet-to-be-selected parts.

I've got a neck and body, but I'm wide open on electronics. For reference, I'd like to mainly play country western with this guitar, mostly Bakersfield stuff; also if you know Greg Loiacano with the Mother Hips, he gets great sounds out of his tele, and I play a lot of their music. Please help me put together an instrument that smiles when I play Merle and Buck tunes.

I'm especially interested in pickup recommendations, whether they are vintage or new. I'll also need pots, circuit items, etc., the selection of which may go with the pickup approach I decide on?

Also for reference, my other guitar is a Les Paul, and I'd like the tele that I build to be completely different from that instrument. I play different music with the LP, and I'm trying to build a tele that really shines with the Bakersfield stuff.

So far, I've ordered a neck and a body with hardware, thus:

GC: Fender American Elite Series Telecaster Neck with Maple Fingerboard (on sale for considerably less than usual price--quite happy with at least the purchase price. Fingers crossed it plays well)

Warmoth: Vintage Telecaster Maple body, Vintage Tint, Clear/Gloss Finish,
    Chrome hardware.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

BackwaterJunction and daveIT like this.
  2. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

So many choices.
    Fender ov
    Dimarzio twang king
    Seymour Duncan broadcaster
    Tonerider hot classics
    Oc duff buckaroo
    Oc duff plankster
    Oc duff guardsman

3. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction TDPRI Member

Hi Jeff,

I'm no expert on the ins and outs of electronics, so I'll perhaps leave that to some of the more clued up folks here.

However, I would say that it sounds loke you perhaps want something that's fairly traditional for a Tele, soundwise. I'm sure others will come in with fabulous (and more sensible pricewise!) suggestions, but a Partscaster I have at home was totally transformed by some Fender Custom Shop Nocaster pickups. Just pure Tele!

As a final note, make sure you post pictures when the build is finished!

4. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Bootstrap pickups is a good pickup maker. He has a few tele sets and they’re reasonably priced.

berzirk and Elgin like this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on OC Duff. The Buckaroo and Guardsman sets are awesome. I was less fond of the Plankster, but also a good pickup.

If budget is an issue, Sunday Handwound, Bootstrap or Cavalier.

If set on Fender only, PV64s.

6. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Too many pickup choices. I use Keystones in my #1, with Bill Lawrence’s 5 way switch wiring. Covers the most territory for me. I haven’t tried Bootstrap’s tele pickups, but judging from the one Bootstrap pickup I did buy (Skookum 90 Mean), the quality is there and then some. Good luck with your hunt!

7. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

I will second the Bootstrap pickups. Made in Ohio by hand and they sound good to me,. I have a set of the Original Recipe. Think they are in the $50 to 60 range for a set! Closest to Nocaster with alnico 3 magnets. Next would be Fender Original Vintage or DiMarzio Twang Kings. These are all lower output, not hot pickups. I would install a 4 way selector switch as well so you can get the slightly thicker series pups sound. A decent 4 way control is around $70 or so. Should get CTS pots with it. You may choose a 3 way instead but you may have to change guitars less frequently if you like the series sound.

8. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

Bootstrap Palo Duro. It'll do the Bakersfield thing.

9. jw_hall

jw_hall TDPRI Member

Great replies everyone, thank you, just what I’d hoped for. Each website has a lot of sound samples so I have some listening to do. I never would have been aware of some of these builders had you not mentioned them—very helpful, thanks again!

10. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I have built three different electric guitars and I wanted them to each sound iconic to its particular genre. When I got ready to put pickups in the tele I bought a set of StewMac's golden age pups, figuring if I didn't like them I could easily change. Turns out I like them, the guitar sounds like a tele should, and even better, they are on sale right now

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics...itar-pickups/golden-age-pickups-for-tele.html

Either StewMac wiring kits will do the job for you - one has a 3 way switch, the other four. There are cheaper options but if you are ordering pups then throw the kit in and you've got what you need

Ps - I have put other pups in guitars for other people, including Budz, Fralin, and Lollars - they too are fine and a lot more money

12. timeconsumer

timeconsumer TDPRI Member

+1 for Bootstrap Palo Duro. They sound amazing and the set is really well matched.

13. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

I like Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials with a four way switch.CTS 250K pots.Lots to work with there...

Frisco 57 likes this.
  14. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

Completely different stroke: I was on the question why used so much clean players use an Esquire. The magnets in the neck pickup catch the strings and kill the free vibration of the string.
    So clean players like the open sound of an Esquire.
    On the other hand a tapped bridge pickup gives you up to three different sounds. Look into the Cavalier Hydra pickups. There you can combine Bakersfield with Nashville and a warmer overwound sound just from one pickup.

15. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

I have Bill Lawrence 5 way in two of my teles, and find it excellent. I would also put a suggestion of 500k pot for the tone, I just find it opens up the selection, and works really nice around 6oclock on a tele bridge pickup.

Pickup wise, my number one has a Creamery in the neck, and a Q pickup (A3 Esquire) in the bridge.

If you'd like to save yourself alot of headaches (polarity, phase and output) I'd advice getting a matched set from whoever you decide on. That's great advice, but I've never followed it yet

16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

When I read this thread title asking about "pups," my very first thought was "Cavaliers."

[​IMG]

old wrench likes this.
  17. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

If I ever need to get aftermarket pickups again, I'm going to check out Bootstrap pickups. American made, $50/set.

18. berzirk

berzirk TDPRI Member

19. jw_hall

jw_hall TDPRI Member

Follow up: I went with O. C. Duff's Buckaroo pickups and the Emerson 3 way circuit. Thanks to everyone for their input. I gotta say, the tele isn't completely set up yet, and I can already hear the magic in the O. C. Duff pickups. They sound fantastic. Here's a photo of the new guitar--played it for a while last night.

Attached Files:

BB and Mr Green Genes like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.