1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Please help identify this Heathkit test equipment

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DADGAD, Apr 14, 2021.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

For sale locally is some Heathkit equipment. What caught my eye is the high voltage power supply on the upper shelf, right side. O-400 VDC, 6.3vac, 12.6vac and 0-100 volts negative output. Should be dandy for working on tube circuits.

I don't recognize any of the other pieces. Does anyone know what they are?

heathkit.jpg

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

From left to right...

Top Row:
    1. No idea. I think I see the word "Analyzer." Probably has no audio use.
    2. IP-17 Regulated High Voltage Power Supply . 6.3 VDC, 12.6 VDC, 100 VDC, 400 VDC.

Middle Row:
    1. No idea.
    2 (above): Grid Dip Meter for testing the resonant frequency of coils in RF circuits. Most were used with amateur radio transmitters.
    2 (below). No idea.
    3. Q Multiplier. Used to improve selectivity (and sometimes sensitivity) in RF receivers. Most were used with amateur radio receivers.

Bottom Row:

1. Model IB-1 Impedance Bridge. Measures impedance, capacitance, and inductance. Not a capacitor "tester."

Be mindful that these pieces are *ancient.* Other than the 1970s power supply and the mid-to-late 1960s Q multiplier, the rest of the stuff is early 1960s or older. Electrolytic capacitors should not be trusted. Some of the circuits *may be* powered directly from AC line voltage and not have a power transformer or proper grounding that stands between you and a *live* chassis should AC find it's way there.

I'm not sure how useful the LV and HV power supply would be for building and servicing tube amps. That's up to you. The rest of the stuff is unlikely to be of any use, because of its unrelated function or its condition. IMO if you want to spend money, spend it on new stuff that's directly applicable to what you want to accomplish. ;)

PhoenixBill, Danb541 and DADGAD like this.
  3. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Thanks, @archetype. I could use the HV supply for testing tube circuits in custom amp builds. Regarding the "Q Mulitplier", could that be an antenna tuner for CB/HAM?

The impedance bridge might be useful for testing unknown output transformers.

But, hey! Look at all those vintage chicken head knobs!

4. Fixcinater

Fixcinater TDPRI Member

The QF-1 multiplier may have a nice 12AX7 stuck inside. I've seen some with Mullards and nice RCAs.

DADGAD likes this.
  5. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

No, a Q Multiplier is used in the IF circuit of a receiver, will not work as an antenna tuner.

6. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

That's right! I'd forgotten that I've got a bunch of Mullards out of old Heath gear. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Fixcinater likes this.
  7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

As for the Q Multiplier, nope. It's an interstage device that sits at the Intermediate Frequency stage and operates at 450-460 kHz and my guess is that it wouldn't handle more that a few Milliwatts. I doubt that it could be adapted for anything else in a practical way.

I figured out the Q Multiplier is a QF-1 and it's early 60s. It does have a 12AX7 tube in it, so if you can get the device for a dollar, you might get lucky.

DADGAD likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.