Please help identify this guitar!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bob1234, Dec 28, 2014.

1. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

No S! I wanted a Gibson Les Paul since I was a kid, after I got that one; forget about it!

2. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

I traded a Taylor electric for a D'Angelico, off a really nice guy who had a number of guitars, in Houston and the guy had an old Hondo Les Paul that he really liked. He was the first real guitarist that I had heard complimenting a Hondo, my memories as a kid were that they were the cheap catalogue guitars.

3. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

Overgeneralizing about Hondos:
    Most early Hondos are junk.
    Most MIK Hondos are junk.
    But Hondo II Professionals are beautifully-made MIJ guitars. I assume that the basses are the same.

The Strat-style Hondo II Professionals are Fender Lead clones. If you see these headstocks on a Hondo strat (or a "Professional" truss rod cover on LP clones), then you should plug it it and give take it for a drive:

Attached Files:

4. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Same goes for many of the old MIJ brands. Two guitars under the same brand can be night and day in terms of quality. Some are crazy plywood 'n plastic monstrosities, others are quality instruments built from solid wood and finished to a tee. I've had an interest in these for awhile and owned/ rebuilt a couple.

Among the best I've seen are the mid-70s Ibanez LPs and SGs, Tokai "Love Rock" (LP), and some of the Grecos. A lot of them have set necks, quality pickups, and basically give similar period Gibsons and Fenders a run for their money.

For Teles, the early 80s Fernandes are worth checking out. I have a friend with several of these and they are literally identical to desirable JV Fender MIJ Teles ... built in the same plant, I believe. Only the headstock is different. The Fernandes Strats are similar in quality, as are the Tokai Strats and Teles of similar vintage.

5. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Indeed! I heeded advice and RAN lmao

6. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

What did you get instead?

7. Ed Norton

Ed Norton TDPRI Member

DSC04012.jpg

View attachment 281602

here is the second hondo i picked up this spring for $125. stripped it down and found dimarz hb pu's in bridge/neck, brass colored basses stamped/etched dimarzio usa. stripped guitar down, needed rewire/solder. truss rod didnt work/frozen so i layed it on floor, propped head on block and pushed down to bow neck. truss rod loosened, retightened it and good to go. neck/frets needed cleaning. $8 nut, fresh wiring and strings, guitar sounds great. i play them next to my us les p and it is in the ballpark. it is fun to bring back to life an old guitar. love the aged crackling binding. i would never burn a guitar.

Attached Files:

8. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Hondos were always in the "so you're a beginner? Have I got a guitar for you." part of the music stores I went into. I swear that they made these just so retailers could have something to sell to someone who didn't have the dough for a Les Paul.

9. Ed Norton

Ed Norton TDPRI Member

ready to go........maybe make a duane clone.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

10. Ed Norton

Ed Norton TDPRI Member

of course...........and a lot of good players would never have got their start. but its the that was then this is now and who cares.

11. Ed Norton

Ed Norton TDPRI Member

now you have some better advice..............

12. Ed Norton

Ed Norton TDPRI Member

very nice guitar.......

13. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.