Please explain why

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by benbo, Apr 19, 2009.

1. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

I am building a guitar out of pine???

That wood has to be the softest, grab ingest most unforgiving stuff out there. Please explain again why I used it because I have long forgotten the benefit of pine after all the headaches.:lol::eek:

2. ryguy76

ryguy76 TDPRI Member

I hear ya...I'm dealing with the same. I've filled the marring, 4 times and everytime I sand it level, i find more spots to fill.

3. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think we are just following the crowd. Someone says pine is good so we try it. I'm currently building a pine Tele body myself. It had several shallow dings and dents many of which were probably in the board when I bought it.

Here's what I did. I got a clothing iron and a wet cloth. Laid the cloth over the body and steamed the entire front and back. Did it a few times. The whole front and back swelled up a little. After letting the front and back dry out completely I used a sanding block with 220 paper and sanded it all smooth. The dents are now gone. I tried to photograph before and after pictures but the dents didn't show up.

Once you put a finish on it, this technique can't be used. I think you just have to learn to live with the dents at that point.

4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I'm currently building a pine body as well. I just stopped caring about all the little dents and bruises. The big stuff I'll fill but I figure most of us love the look of a guitar that's got some mileage on it anyway so I have just accepted that some of that mileage will showup before it's finished.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Please explain again why I used it because I have long forgotten the benefit of pine after all the headaches
    1. Because it relics so easy.
    2. It is fairly inexpensive.
    3. It is easy to work with in terms of cutting and sanding.
    4. It is fairly light weight.
    5. Just because.
    6. Everyone else is doing it.
    7. You could use 2" x 8"s
    8. Leo used it.
    9. Fender reissued it.
    10. Everyone else is doing it.

6. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

I actually used 1x8 pieces and glued them on top of another 1x8 but in the process I used 2 pieces 1/4" x8" and sandwiched them in between the 1x8's, it looks way cool with the middle grain between the other pieces, sort of a cool contrast. The grain didn't match too well on the front or back, used what Lowes had on the rack. I did have a lot of boards in the floor at lowes trying to match them to no avail, plus the lowes employees were looking at me funny:eek::lol:. I'll take a few pics later and post what I did to the body to make it clear what i mean by the middle grain.

7. Jack Wells

I'm not sure what you bought at Lowes is actually pine unless the rack said pine. They sell a lot of the mysterious "White Wood".

8. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Cool Guitars....Some are lighter weight and seem to do well with all kinds of pickups.......I like Pine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Jack Wells

A G K ................ that's the best picture I've seen of your Custom. Hmmm........wonder why?

10. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Jack,I'm re-organizing and moving shop to a little bigger space.....the Army Green is getting a standard Tele headstock and a rosewood board sometime this week.

MAY sell that Big Headstock too....maybe not.:D

11. Dababy

Dababy Tele-Meister

Pine holds up way better than balsa.

12. Ragtime Dan

Ragtime Dan Tele-Holic

We all pine for the good old days:?:

13. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I'm working on a body that's made out of Western Red Cedar - similar to Pine I guess - I love that stuff. Smells like I'm grinding pencils up when I work on it though.

I don't know how it will sound yet, but what I did was to put 3 heavy coats of Deft sanding Sealer on it as soon as I got the final route done. That helped the wood from getting dented as easily. 6 light coats of Deft lacquer on top of that and the grain should be gone with the next sanding.

I love the grain of Cedar and Fir, Pine is nice too. I may do a Fir body next.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

simplicity, simplicity, simplicity.

dings don't matter.

sounds good, hangs good, and wails like a mofo.

15. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Around here most 2x4s, 2x6s, etc are marked SPF, meaning "Spruce, Pine or Fir" so it could be any one of them.

16. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

Very true.. I am not 100% sure what pine or whatever it is. It's not too light but not too heavy, I can tap the body and it is very resonant though. I think it will sound really good when I am done. I want to do it in a natural finish, top and back maybe amber and the sides a darker yet transparent color to show the layers. It's a tele paul shape and plan on using 2 P90's. I may even bind it or do a carved top so to speak, I don't like the hard edges. Pictures after work:D

PS.. They do have poplar, I may use that for my next one. I am building one soon with a mahogany back, figured maple or spalted maple top, neck through, carved top, all the goodies, some fancy wiring and am not sure what setup i am doing yet, a tele PU, bridge design, or some sort of Gretsch setup, meaning PU's and a bigsby...

17. Zmatko

Zmatko Tele-Meister

11. I hear ya'. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.