Please explain why Ian is a historic hurricane

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
"The impacts of this storm are historic and the damage that has been done is historic," DeSantis said. "We've never seen a flood event like this, we've never seen a storm surge of this magnitude."

even Desantis believes it. or maybe its just to help schmooze the money better

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
"The impacts of this storm are historic and the damage that has been done is historic," DeSantis said. "We've never seen a flood event like this, we've never seen a storm surge of this magnitude."

even Desantis believes it. or maybe its just to help schmooze the money better
I've seen pics of CENTRAL Florida with water 15' high...

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Gentlemen, some respect for the recently dead that said "I've been through a hundred hurricanes"
1664504805157.png

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
When you look at long term historical track lines, you know none of this is new, unusual, or different that what’s happened for 100s of years, but then again. It does not fit any agenda, it’s just data.
just saying….

Attachments

• 8E7A2163-3EF6-4382-8C1D-2C9E7799740E.jpeg
    8E7A2163-3EF6-4382-8C1D-2C9E7799740E.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 17

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
All flippancy aside, the "historical" factors of this storm are that it was a very strong Cat 4 storm- the fourth strongest in Florida's history, it was a rare storm in that it hit the west coast of Florida, and the damage it caused will probably rank in the top few storms as well, so historical.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
We have only been collecting weather data since the mid 1870's. So while this storm is bad, calling it "historical" may be an over-statement. I do hope that those folks can get through this and get the help they will so badly need.

Rocky058

Tele-Afflicted
Just as a little side note.

Ian came ashore just a little north of Fort Myers. That"s a fur piece from Tampa.

It seems many believe Tampa is the only city in Florida.

Tampa is across the bay from me. They did pretty well , except for some power outages.

1664507590150.png

Last edited:

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
you can run, but you can not hide. some are trying to blow this off as just another thing. maybe it is, but stack these "500 year" events back to back every couple years you would think that it would start to be obvious that things are different now. even so... some say yeah, its different, but it was so in the past. and the answer is yes. the planet had same/different weather in the past... BUT for different reasons. if in doubt.. go take a class at your local college/community college. they will often let you sit in for cheap to no cost as an audit. I could tell you the big points that are making these events different, but I am just a Knob on the internet (with an AAS, BST, and MS)(like any other self proclaimed expert), the nut is... the world is a different place in our lifetimes. ask people with real credentials, in person

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Just as a little side note.

Ian came ashore just a little north of Fort Myers. That"s a fur piece from Tampa.

It seems many believe Tampa is the only city in Florida.

Tampa is across the bay from me. They did pretty well , except for some power outages.

View attachment 1034742

I heard Tampa Bay was sucked nearly dry... is that true? Glad you're safe man!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
I put this on the other thread running as well, but I think it appropriate here too....

Heard a few hours ago that a friend of mine's aunt lives near Ft. Myers in a 2 story condo, and she's lived there for over 35 years i.e. survived many storms over those years. Apparently the water reached the 2nd story of their home and the 2nd story was under 5 feet of water?? The water surface was 17+ feet from ground level. They are alive and have been rescued but have lost everything including their cars, all furniture, keepsakes, clothing, heirlooms, and even a grand piano. :( Please keep the prayers coming folks, there's a lot of aftermath no doubt.

Rocky058

Tele-Afflicted
I heard Tampa Bay was sucked nearly dry... is that true? Glad you're safe man!

Yes, most of Tampa bay, except for the channels was almost dry.
Much better than the other way around.

We were fortunate, we never even lost power.

The Fort Myers area looks like Hiroshima. It will be many years to rebuild..

Last edited:

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Like an out of control locomotive, no way to slow down?

There was a young dude named Ian
His kind was seen only once in an eon;
He was a loose goose
No restraint on the juice
And sent many folk away fleein’.

Last edited:

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
We have only been collecting weather data since the mid 1870's. So while this storm is bad, calling it "historical" may be an over-statement. I do hope that those folks can get through this and get the help they will so badly need.
St. Augustine was founded in 1565 and they have been keeping records of storms that hit there ever since. Many other American cities have meteorological records going back to the early 1700s. Some European cities have been collecting reliable weather data since the 1600s. The islands in the Caribbean also have cities that date back to the 1500s and they recorded storms too.

Fredhead59

Tele-Meister
Historical? Look at Hugo that was very close to a Cat5 when it directly hit Charleston. Several historical landmarks and areas destroyed,20' surges,areas that looked like nukes had been dropped. Bad winds,rain,hurricanes all the way across SC (we live in Greer and had torrential rain,wind,and a tornado 1/2 mile from our house touched down and stayed on the ground for roughly 1 mile) up into the Charlotte area. My wife has an aunt that lives in Gastonia. Their neighbor had their roof torn off.