Please explain why Ian is a historic hurricane

uriah1

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Pretend there are 20 f3 tornadoes coming at you for hours. That is newsworthy.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
HistoriCAL? I don't know. Never cared to pay that much detailed attention in that particular class to be honest.
Semantics. And I am an avowed anti-semantic.

Historic? Well after its over perhaps. Looking back at it, its historic.

Don't correct me, I really don't care.

I did hear see it stated that while it so far isn't as intense as Andrew, it is the largest (Breadth/width) ever recorded to hit Florida.

And to see/hear those who downplay it or mock the media's presentation, I can tell you I have two immediate family pods currently hunkered down taking a direct hit and riding this out. There are surely others here either experiencing this event or worried about family who are. We have TDPRI member "family" effected.

Make fun and mock away. And may your unempathetic soul be blessed.
Or something.

The use of "Historical" is small change compared to the media stuff I have been reading today, and I am a little annoyed. Sorry.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The stated reason for the storm being a big deal is because Tampa hasn't been hit by a storm this strong in a hundred years. When something comes around on that kind of schedule it's going to get a lot of mention.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I image that when it's all said and done, the damages will total up in the hundreds of billions of dollars. That's a pretty good measurement of the severity of the storm.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
This storm was/is unprecedented as far as I know. I'm being told that the entire Daytona 500 track is under water right now, and it's still heavy raining there and now the winds have kicked up to 60+ MPH. So yeah.... this may well be an historic event. The Gov is saying it may take years to recover from it, from what I understand.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
everything becomes history. yesterday, i tried the mcdonalds cheese danish. It was an historic moment. It is part of history.

I saw all the people claiming the media was overstating this hurricane when it was developing. Not so much now.

The news is just regular people who, for whatever reason, want to report news. Since they are just regular people, they are just as stupid as goldilocks, so, when they report the news, they try to figure out what fits, sometimes they nail it, sometimes they miss... the big question is, where WERE the three bears?

Coolio died yesterday, that impacted me emotionally far more than the Queen.... both are historic events... they happened in the past. See how it works?

jman72

Friend of Leo's
I don't know the reason behind it being historic. I know it's become a cat5.

I do know these storms are going to happen more often due to warming.

Thoughts?
It is the 5th strongest storm (by wind speed) to hit the US in recorded history. It will likely be one of the most costly storms ever as well. There are almost 3 million HOMES (or something like 10 million people) without power right now. That's like the entire states of Wyoming, Alaska, Vermont, North Dakota, South Dakota, Delaware, Rhode Island, Maine, New Hampshire, AND DC all losing power at the same time!

Pretty historic in my book.