Please explain why Ian is a historic hurricane

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't know the reason behind it being historic. I know it's become a cat5.

I do know these storms are going to happen more often due to warming.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
One of my very best friends who also happens to be more than just a little dumb has been texting me. She lives in Naples at below 12’ and has no power and I’ve been texting her the announcement to shelter in place as she can no longer leave.
Worried. Girl, why? Be safe LW.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Everything that happens is historical.

Reminds me of something Mitch Hedberg said:

"One time, this guy handed me a picture of himself; he said, 'Here's a picture of me when I was younger'. Every picture of you is when you were younger! 'Here's a picture of me when I'm older'. 'You son-of-a-gun! How'd you pull that off? Lemme see that camera...'"

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Everything that happens is historical.

Reminds me of something Mitch Hedberg said:

"One time, this guy handed me a picture of himself; he said, 'Here's a picture of me when I was younger'. Every picture of you is when you were younger! 'Here's a picture of me when I'm older'. 'You son-of-a-gun! How'd you pull that off? Lemme see that camera...'"
Nailed it!

Sounds like "Historical" is being conflated with "unprecedented". It's almost like people think the Earth is only as old as recorded history...

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
Too much "drama" and not enough "just the facts ma'am" in the news media today. It's like they all graduated from the "William Shatner School of Journalism"

Now to point that out, does not dismiss the fact that this is a big storm and many, many people are in a very serious situation.

Is embellishing to the n'th degree every time really helping any of these people?

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
It's "historical" because saying that generates more ad sales revenue on the weather and news channels.
It's going to create a lot of pain and suffering for sure. What we don't need is a hysterical Weather Channel reporter yelling hysterically that she can see a trash can floating down the street, or the guy pointing to fallen palm fronds.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
At Cat 5 it's a big event. Add to that that it will hit the West coast of Fl which is on the "bad side" of the hurricane is even worse. (on that side you add it's travel speed to it's wind speed. So if it's blowing 140 mph and traveling at 10 mph the result is 150 mph.)

4 Cat Slim

Poster Extraordinaire
What happened is that at some point, the word "historical" was added, and it became used
in subsequent reports. The same thing happens with the words "controversial" (any public figure),
"embattled" (political figures) and "troubled" (retailers).

All of that aside, prayers sent for those impacted by this storm...

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
Cat 5 hurricanes don't develop in the Gulf of Mexico very often - they're more a Caribbean / Atlantic thing. When they do, they don't turn east and hit the west coast of Florida. This graphic shows all the cat 5 hurricanes since 1924, and you can see their stomping ground clearly. Calling it historical is hyperbole, but it's definitely outside the standard deviation for storms this devastating.

trop-atl-cat5-lorenzo2019.gif

Last edited:

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Shutting down international airports, 2,500,000 Americans under evacuation orders, all of Cuba without power, yeah pish-posh, this is pretty pedestrian stuff. Basically happens everyday, hmph. The important thing here is my opinion on news media, which I hate, but feel compelled to watch and comment on endlessly.