Please explain the end result of different size neck radius'.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

My Title says it all :)

Difference's such as would a Tele neck with a 9.5" radius have a wider neck than a 7.25" one (strings further apart)?

Difference's I asking about are things like would the 9.5" neck be "better" for people that didn't have slender fingers (I don't :) )?

If so, then would a 12" radius be better than the 9.5" neck?

Or are the difference's more akin to the shape of the neck instead of the radius?

Something tells me I'm opening a can of worm's, but that's ole' Jerry for you :)

I watched Dirty Harry again last night (for the 75th time I bet :) ), and just like the Bank Robber said in the beginning of the movie................................................................

Hey, I got's to know!

Thanks,
    Jerry

Deathray likes this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Finally got 2 Tele's in 12 radius..the whole collection of guitars is 12 now. I feel that is more important to me with picking angle. How i consistently hit the strings. The neck sizes don't seem to bother me much. Have em all over the map from thin to baseball bat.

3. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

Radius doesn't have anything to do with how wide the neck is or the spacing between strings. It's just how curved the fingerboard is.

If you only play lightning fast metal runs and licks you might like a perfectly flat board (infinite radius) or a 10 or 12 or higher radius.

For chords, because our fingers naturally curve, it is easier to barre with a smaller radius (at least for some of us - depends on your fingers and what you like).

JustABluesGuy and stnmtthw like this.
  4. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

As AndyPanda noted, the 7.5 radius boards are considered by most to be easier to chord on. However, they can cause problems with big bends, fretting out. So, boards with 12 or 16 inch radius have been developed. Those flatter boards allow bigger bends, but may not be as easy for chording. I find 9.5 or 10 inch radius boards a good compromise for me.

Width of the fretboard is independent of the radius of the the board. At least in the widths we would have for a fretboard.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  5. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Ive played, 16s, 12s, 10s, 9,5s and 7,25s.. my favorite is 7.25s.. however Im okay with whatever the guitar comes with as long as its set up right and to my preferences.

the "wideness" you feel might be due to the curve of the fretboard.. the flatter the fretboard, the "wider" you feel because, well, its flat..

Also, the bridge string spacing and nut spacing comes into play..

6. darylcrisp

darylcrisp TDPRI Member

a lot of other things really come into play for some people. for some, the back side of the neck, the profile shape, can make a huge difference in playing comfort. also a difference in width at the nut, and at the saddle, can make a difference, and the scale length(24.75 vs 25 vs 25.5). all of these things come into play to either work for you, or not work for you. there are some people who can take hold of anything and play excellent, I'm not one of them. for someone like me, it takes trying a couple instruments over time to learn what works best.
    play as many as you can and take notes, or remember things over the long haul, to see what works for you.

you may know all this, but here is a good explanation for radius:

7. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Just be clear, chording is being referred to as barre chording, or chords with partial barres, or sometimes chords with muted strings. Fretboards with smaller radii are easier to get one finger (like your index finger) to span multiple strings and apply the pressure to make them ring, or rest on top of them to mute them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.