Please excuse this "strange" question :)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

No, to the original question. If they don't get played, then they are toast, and they get sold. No point in owning them just to look at them.

4pickupguy likes this.
  2. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Just once :oops:

A really wonderful AV64 tele in fiesta red.

3. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a 1952 Telecaster, a 1927 Martin 0-28K, and a 1930 Gibson L-0. I play them everywhere. Group guitar classes at the local school, friends’ houses, and pub jams.

Why did I buy them? To enjoy playing and to make memories with.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    P Thought likes this.
  4. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

YES

Two of them. I sold them and that's the reason. Too nice... and too expensive for a beater like me.

A '72 Les Paul Deluxe and a 6120 Keith Scott

5. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Yep

A PRS 25th aniversary one piece 10 top, a beautiful piece of sclupture that happened to function as a guitar.

I sold it after three years, in that time it only spent a couple of hours in my hands.

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

It’s like what Clapton said, a guitar that’s old and mint is like a restaurant without any people in it on a Friday afternoon .
    There’s a reason why it’s mint and unplayed sometimes it just happens to turn out to be a real dog .
    Clapton looked for guitars with a little wear because the “food” must be good if there’s a lot of people in that “restaurant”

El Tele Lobo and stxrus like this.
  7. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

Oh, trust me, I’m not saying don’t play them. If I owned them I’d have no problem playing them either but meant that I’d rather capitalize on their value, use the money to save, put in retirement or invest. A 1927 0-28 and 1930 L-0 are no where near what a 52 Tele is worth. I was just saying that if I had one of those Holy Grail Guitars like a 52 Tele, etc., i'd capitalize on its value and sell it. Guess my reply wasn’t in line with the topic 100% because if I owned said guitars I’d have zero issue playing them and taking them out.

Bill likes this.
  8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I'm the opposite... the guitars that I don't play much at all, I keep on the walls of my music room as art. I enjoy seeing them... even though I do my every-day playing with other guitars.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum. If you think a guitar is beautiful and just want to display it and not play it, and you get value from that do what makes you happy. I play mine but I don’t have any I would consider expensive collectible guitars.

10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've never owned anything so nice or so expensive that I was afraid to play it...and I don't intend to. I buy (or, with teles, build/assemble) the best affordable instruments I can on a budget, customize them as necessary and play them with abandon. I'm not reckless or careless with them, but I don't baby them.

11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Within a week after I bought my first "lifer", my daughter's new puppy jumped up to greet me and dragged his claws across the top, from the soundhole to the bout. I was sick about it, but then came an odd sense of ease with the instrument; I didn't feel like I had to be so careful. The scratch is still there. The dog's getting old now, but he's still here, too.

Milspec and telemnemonics like this.
  12. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I do that too. Just makes sense sometimes.

13. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

I have to admit: the first guitar i bought was a LP Std with flame maple top and cherryburst, just beautiful. I played it a lot, my only guitar for a while. I loved gibsons and fearing i would marr this beauty, i picked up a LP Jr to work out my frustrations and leave the std in its case except a rare session.
    Feels good to unload that. :oops:

14. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I've owned some really expensive guitars, mostly acoustics. Martin OM42, 0042, 00028GE 12fret, Gibson AJ in Brz/Adi. Several Grevens. Collings 000, 001A, OM.
    Two McAlisters. The McAlister Concert 42 style in Brz/Adi.
    Played them all. No sense in owning guitars and not playing them.

Mark

15. Leftian

Leftian TDPRI Member

“This ones never been played, look it’s still got the tags on”
    “Don’t touch it”
    “Can I look at it?”
    “No, don’t even look at it”

Can’t believe no one beat me to that!

I’m a bit precious about a couple of my guitars, but not the tele - that’s a player!

16. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Well... I don’t buy guitars that are so expensive I’m afraid to play them. Not any more ;-)

When I was 21 or 22 I had a Pimentel 002 that was so pretty and cost so much (about $250) I treated it with kid gloves. I was afraid to let it sit anywhere other than the case, or my lap. Eventually it got a few scratches and I loosened up a bit.

17. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Only one, it was just somewhat intimidating. I just felt that it was better than I was. I kept it a few years, then sold it. It wasn't that beautiful, or sound that great (compared to my others), it just bothered me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.