Please excuse this "strange" question :)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Have any of you ever thought a guitar was SO beautiful that you were afraid to play it because you didn't want anything to happen to it?

I apologize for being me :) :) :)

2. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

Nope. And if that was the case I'd sell it and buy something I didn't fear playing.

If I had something old and valuable (like a real 1952 Tele, prewar Martin, Gibson, etc.) I'd sell that thing in a heartbeat, pout most of it in the bank then buy a nice Fender Reissue or Martin Authentic, etc.

3. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

For me, its a question of what guitars get taken to different venues and the associated risk factor...

4. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

That's probably why I'm attracted to the Road Worn's, or to older Tele's that have some wear/battle scars on them :)

That being said...........................................................................................................

If one (me :) ) likes a guitar because of the way it plays, sounds/feels, then get over that fear :)

That's probably why I'm attracted to the Road Worn's, or to older Tele's that have some wear/battle scars on them :)

That being said...........................................................................................................

If one (me :) ) likes a guitar because of the way it plays, sounds/feels, then get over that fear and just play the damn thing for what it was meant to do :)

El Tele Lobo and TwangerWannabe like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nope.
    They were made to be played.

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

nope..cant wait to the first bang ,dent or scratch happens..its for making music

7. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi David, how ya' been man, I hope all is well!

Two points:
    1) I only play guitar (not very well, btw :) ) for recording in my home studio.
    2) I have NO doubt that many of my Posts don't make sense to many of this Forum's seasoned guitar players, but please forgive me as I decided to play the guitar for the first time in my life about 3 and 1/2 months ago :)

P Thought and verb boten like this.
  8. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Yeah for sure. It just didn't belong to me. I ain't scared o mine.

Skydog1010 and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  9. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi bftfender!

You sound like a friend of mine who LOVES expensive cars, and the first thing he does after buying them is to put a small key scratch somewhere on the car :)

bftfender likes this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Yes ! I bought a uuuhhhuummm.... gibson (I know it’s a dirty word here) 57 gold top ri with money from my first summer job when I was 15 . I was scared to touch it and would even make sure to wash my hands before playing it the little I did. ( dang things nickel still started “relicing” itself within a month).
    Through circumstances I didn’t see it for years and recently got it back in mint condition.
    Now I see it as a instrument that was built to be played so i have no qualms about playing it anymore, I don’t abuse it but I don’t baby it either and am happier than I ever was not playing it .
    There’s a fine line between enjoying and worrying. Now I just wouldn’t buy a instrument if I felt too precious or sentimental about it.
    But most upper priced fenders I have no problem using.
    It’s all personal preference and what’s comfortable for you.
    At the end of the day if you spent your hard earned money on it do whatever and treat it however you like.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi Fretting out, thanks for you and all the others for putting up with my "strange" question :)

What would you consider (dollar wise/model wise) an upper priced Fender?

12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

One of the finer things in life is being seen with a beautiful guitar.

13. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I don't like to take certain guitars to certain venues. Sunday night I carried a Squier Tele and 2 Ibanezs

14. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah it is so beautiful the store owner hangs it high on the wall to keep the students grubby hands off it

studio1087 likes this.
  15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

It is like getting a new car, for a short time you baby it, but after a little while you use it for what it was built for. My first high end acoustic impressed me so much that I was petrified of chiping it to the point of being afraid to even strum it hard. It didn't last long though and now it gets extensive usage like all the rest.

P Thought, El Tele Lobo and Obsessed like this.
  16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

lol..i used to hang em all up..still do but they all became such players with character..its almost a relief to let go of the look at phase & dont touch it much

17. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Don’t ever apologize for being yourself. Be proud of it. As far as your question, it’s a phase that some people go through in the beginning. I did. Now I grab my guitars and play without worrying about anything happening. Some of them have scratches and nicks. Big deal. I keep my guitars. I don’t intend to sell them. So I’m not concerned with resale value. Your mileage may vary.

18. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Judging by some of the unplayed instruments that come up for sale in the classifieds, a lot of folks either don't play fancy guitars, don't bond with them, or baby them so effectively, you can hardly see any traces of use.

It's their money- so who am I to criticise? I've had great instruments myself, that just didn't inspire me.

I like the thought of putting memories into guitars- and that necessitates damage, to the frets, hardware and finish. Some of the places I play are so tight, the guitars get scraped against mic stands, cymbals and speaker cabinets. Often they'll be jammed into corners, when not needed, because there isn't space for a stand or case. They get dirty, covered in sweat and beer. Collateral damage, maybe?
    I cleaned my favourite electric slide guitar, the other day- a thin finish, budget Gibson. I enjoyed wiping every ding and abrasion..... I must also admit that this guitar has a sticker on the back, from a festival I took it to, a couple of years ago. I know some folks think that's vandalism.

It takes all sorts, I guess? I don't hand over as much cash, for the premium finishes- but I buy more spare parts. ;)

19. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I don’t make a-lot! Of money compared to say mabey a doctor or lawyer. But I don’t have a wife or kids so I can spend a little more on a guitar if need be .
    But my idea of upper priced is the American originals even the American pros would be expensive too me . Although something more expensive like a special signature or something more limited wouldn’t be out of question if budgeted for .
    I do consider custom shop to be beyond expensive and would take some consideration
    dollar wise 1200 to 2000 is upper limits for me and over 2000 expensive to me and is for something special

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  20. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Well, the guitar is a tool, and they can be beautiful tool but still a tool so you gotta use or else it's failing or you're failing or both.

I have a friend who pays for all these special guitars crafted by unicorn fairies in the mountains of Patagonia from rare and exotic materials that are on the endangered materials list.................

He keeps them in hard cases that are then wrapped in a case protector and stored in humidity controlled places etc etc etc

He, in my opinion, spends way to much time seeking, collecting, researching and acquiring these, "works of art really" which is fine because it's his money, life and passion but unless you are gonna hang them on the wall and never play them they are not doing their job which is to aid in the creation of music. Again in my opinion.

I once played a really, really beautiful Martin D45 (I think) that was blinged out to the enth degree.

The regular Martin abalone and mother of pearl trim was all there plus a tons of custom inlay on the fretboard of a dragonfly and a fairy princess etc. Really well done with scrimshaw details in the abalone and MOP just lovely and the work on the fretboard really popped against the ebony.

The owner was all "wash your hands before you play" and "take off your belt and anything with zippers" plus a "don't sit on a chair with arms on it" thrown in and a million other rules to a degree where I didn't want the responsibility of being near the thing and only played once. In the end they didn't want the responsibility either because they sold it to a collector.

I remember when they had it in the Want Advertiser the price was stated at "If You Have To Ask You Can't Afford It".

I don't recall what it sold for and I don't even really remember what it sounded like, I just what it looked like.......... Which was spectacular.

Gary

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.