1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Please don't be that guy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mlove3, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Just to clarify, I'm not a metal guy. :cool:

2. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

One of the things I like about going to the local jam, other than playing music with people, is talking to other guys about gear. Sod it, I don't care. I like guitars.

3. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

As do I, but I usually follow that up by saying: "But no one likes it when I do".

I've been asked what gear I have, but usually only when I'm using it. Only a couple people ever correctly identified my Squier '51 as a '51 (even before modding it), it was called a Strat by almost every layperson who saw it. I have talked gear once or twice at a party, but only when asked in an ongoing discussion.

The real offenders in this area are guys who have their idol's gear. Nothing creeps me out more than the guy with the SRV setup right down to the hat he wore at Alpine Valley before the crash (I've met two of these guys).

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

For me there's a difference between people who are enthusiastic and those who have to one up everyone. That whole "I have better toys then you." thing. Even when people ask me what guitars I have, I usually say, "A couple of electrics and an acoustic." I might mention something specific if it comes up, but otherwise I'd rather play music then talk about it. Except online, of course! :D

5. bobsway

bobsway Tele-Afflicted

Guitar players, ya gotta love 'em!

6. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

This would actually explain it very well.

7. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I was probably a lot more likely to do this when I first started playing. I do have one guitar with a bit of a story behind it, but I've come to understand that glazed eyes do not mean interest.

8. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

To clarify this was in a non music related setting, just making conversation to kill a few idle minutes.
    People have asked me about my oddball homemade amp at gigs and I show and tell because they asked, ya know? But I never volunteered much info to this guy because I didn't really want to get into the whole my gear is cooler than yours thing.
    The older I get the less I care about gear choices. I'm not even sure what kind of bass my bandmate is playing these days!

9. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Blah, blah, blah blah blah........

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In the art department where I teach, there was an aging professor whose specialty was foil stamping. (I couldn't tell you what foil stamping is.) A friend of mine in the same department once told me that he had run into her somewhere, and they started to talk. He said that within a minute, she was going on and on about foil stamping, just as she did whenever they would talk.

11. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

This makes me think of something that always seems to happen when people who don't play find out I do. They always ask me what kind of guitar I play. I tell them a telecaster or an es 335. The always say "what's that". I always replay a 335 is similar to what BB King plays and a telecaster is what Buck Owens played. I always wonder why they asked me :)

12. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

This thread has kind of inspired me. The next time someone asks what I play I think I'll go into something like how one of my favorite instruments is principally constructed of Alnusm which belongs to the Betulaceae family, and that Native Americans often used the bark to concoct medicine for various irritations, etc, and see how long it is before they excuse themselves.

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol: or.. that girl...;)

I'm talking to a 30yr ish old lady who runs our school canteen .. I burned a CD for her to listen to...

I ask .. have you got a CD player in your car?....

she lights up... MY car is 56 yrs old!....:lol:

. a holden FC, 138 grey motor, with triple strombergs, front end disc brake mod, orig gearbox with cast bell housing..... more car yada yada yada... from this girl... knew her old holdens well.... woooo...

what about a CD player at home?... no, haven't got one of those either.... :rolleyes:

well, I guess I'll put the CD back in my pocket then...... though, I did give it to the groundsman later on, he was stoked,,:cool:... ;)

14. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

I don't go into great detail about my life or possessions with random strangers as a rule (face to face that is, forums must change people).

The few times I've ever been asked about gear, I've not had a good answer ready for them anyway.
    "how did you make it sound like that?"
    "Oh just that guitar and that amp, those pedals"

Another time I was asked where they could get that setup, and it took a long time to explain that guitar and amp were homemade and not done to the exact spec of an existing model.

15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ditto

16. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Yeah it's a shame that sort of stuff is automatically assumed to be boasting. If someone showed an interest I would happily tell them about my Hot Rod 62 and old Aria Pro IIs, in great detail. However I'm a naturally reserved type who hates the thought of boring someone, so I would only do so in response to the right signals. I think 'that guy's ' problem is that he doesn't have those vital antenna that let us know when the time is right to expound.

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Some people base their entire self worth on their material possessions. Whenever I encounter someone like that, I generally find myself thinking how glad I am that I'm not that insecure, and that makes it much easier to listen to them talk. They're only looking for approval, kinda like a puppy.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The people I know would draw a blank with Buck Owens.

19. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly......know one. Shows me his guitar videos on his phone at work.

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Awesome. Great story. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.