Please define "Made In America" for me.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
To paraphrase my son who once said. "I've had me some older girlfriends, and I've had me some younger girlfriend's and I much prefer the younger girlfriends."

I've had me some MIM, and other places made guitars, and I've had me some American made guitars and I much prefer the American made guitars. ( I don't have ANY trouble understanding what that means)

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I think, you can never be sure these days and it probably does not matter much.

If you look at fashion brands, like Zara, they are able to produce parts somewhere, ship them to Portugal, where the final stitching is done, so they can put a "Made in Portugal" label on it. May be similar with guitars. Do you care though? Quality went up tremendously since the 50's :)

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
Very little these days is completely made in America. It could be assembled in America from a collection of foreign and domestic parts, who knows. Or, assembled in Mexico from an assortment of American and Chinese parts. I don't mind paying a little more for something that is completely made in USA, but lets face it, there are items like toilet paper that I don't care where it comes from as long as it gets the job done and doesn't bite my ass.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
So let's say I won the lottery and decided to have a house built with the best of the best materials and design.

Hypothetically...

I hire an architect from France.

Maybe the best doors come from Mexico, the best windows from the U.S., the marble from Italy, appliances from Germany, home theatre from Japan ......etc.

Everyone in the neighborhood watches the house go up on our street using a mixture of local and guest trades people.

No one questions where the house was made.

Hobs

Tele-Meister
There's a city in Japan called Usa.
If I recall, at one time they were producing items labelled Made in USA Japan.
I've never seen such a label, or even a picture of one, or any evidence that this ever happened. I think it's a myth.

Hobs

Tele-Meister
So let's say I won the lottery and decided to have a house built with the best of the best materials and design.

Hypothetically...

I hire an architect from France.

Only if you have a time machine. Plenty of pretty old buildings there. Everything built since 1960 is... well, take a look online and see for yourself

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
xn-zzqY1yiTcPozKrPxlwN1kxu_5FyFU5skC-BFouw5END0BeNdiWra3VlAUCwQyd2VjDjbqeu5cJM_l9En6FsM7jifU3NtbsJH8DXimTSIJULfK_tRxDefT3b1nr7dmcIb8102616IFRsqb0128M8o9VIhzQipYYicWbA

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Only if you have a time machine. Plenty of pretty old buildings there. Everything built since 1960 is... well, take a look online and see for yourself
I've never had the money for a nice house let alone to have one made for me.

It was a hypothetical. I know little about house construction. I was going to make the Hypothetical best doors be "French Doors" but went another direction.

But if you think the degradation of quality/standards has only happened there over the last few decades I'll say that in my Canadian city after basically any strong wind there are multiple houses needing new vinyl siding. Don't remember seeing that when houses were brick. Or with wood siding. Or Aluminum siding.

More often I see that any specific job is less about doing the job to the best of our abilities and more about seeing what we can get away with.

Last edited:

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Inquiring minds want to know where you will be assembling that sammich?
Domestic or imported meats & cheeses?
Is your bacon Canadian?

It's complicated! No bacon, but tofu I marinated yesterday. The tofu was Canadian, but a quick check of the ingredients for the marinate bring up Japan, China and Thailand. The bread was from here.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've never seen such a label, or even a picture of one, or any evidence that this ever happened. I think it's a myth.
Respectfully, you're not reading the posts before offering your own thoughts. Several prior posts have established the truth about this. When you get a minute, go back and read them. :):):)

Digiplay

Tele-Afflicted
Well aside from the mistaken thread title................................

Hi telemnemonics, how's my buddy been, and I truly hope all is well with you!

Aside from the affection I do have for you, I have to ask a question :) :) :) :)

My I see some form of Official Documentation that gave you the power to determine that my (or ANY tdpri member's) Thread Title is MISTAKEN?

A US (make that the US that is bordered by Canada, Mexico, the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Pacific Ocean :) ) Government ID will be acceptable as well :) :) :) :)

Jerry

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Hi telemnemonics, how's my buddy been, and I truly hope all is well with you!

Aside from the affection I do have for you, I have to ask a question :) :) :) :)

My I see some form of Official Documentation that gave you the power to determine that my (or ANY tdpri member's) Thread Title is MISTAKEN?

A US (make that the US that is bordered by Canada, Mexico, the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Pacific Ocean :) ) Government ID will be acceptable as well :) :) :) :)

Jerry

I was just going by my offense o meter as I saw various offended responses ignoring your question in favor of discussing the name of this continent!

But maybe you wanted a continental divide and took a sneaky route to get there?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Respectfully, you're not reading the posts before offering your own thoughts. Several prior posts have established the truth about this. When you get a minute, go back and read them. :):):)

I can confirm that in Maine there is a town called Mexico, a town called China, and a town called Sweden.
No Mariachi bands, no chop suey, and no Hagstrom guitars are made there though.
Actually my Volvo mechanic looks like the professor in back to the future so maybe Sweden is Swedish here via some alternate reality?