Please define "Made In America" for me.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, Oct 18, 2021.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Every company in every industry in the USA uses many parts in their products that are made overseas. Starting in the 80s, corporations all decided to have all or part of the components they use made where it can be done for the lowest cost, to maximize profits. In the audio world, almost all the well known iconic speaker brands from the UK and the USA have their speakers made in China, after being designed and engineered in the UK or USA. The same is true of most affordable mainstream audio components, amps, receivers, CD players, DACs, etc. Really high end audio electronics and speakers are still made in the USA and Europe, but many companies have their top of the line speakers made in their own local factory, and their more affrodable lines made in China. There are also several large conglomerates, some in the USA, and some in Asia, that own a lot of the iconic audio companies that we've known since the 70s.

Drew617 likes this.
  2. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

well worth mentioning though, they're often the first to go "America is a continent," haha.

3. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

Some Tone Woods are harvested in other countries then imported. Then the creation of the instrument resides on the Made in USA side.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Made in USA has AFAIK specs that change periodically, and again AFAIK, require a percentage of parts to be made in USA for the whole thing to legally sport a Made in USA claim.

Telekarster and Drew617 like this.
  5. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Then perhaps it would be better to say "Created In The USA" Archtops!

Archtops likes this.
  6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

In the context of this Forum, it basically means the truss rod plug is made of walnut........

60% of my firearms are made in America. My most functional stuff is Austrian, and the one "collectable " type one is a 40s/50s Walther.

I get people liking US firearms, but I've had stuff from Jennings that was the most absolute trash possible and heard people snub Taurus/Rossi who have never been that bad. Ditto with Davis, and whoever made those "convertible " 22/22mag revolvers.
    Now, I researched the topic and many of those companies popped up after laws stopped cheap junk imported firearms from being sold, we started making garbage domestically.
    My point is:

Can you imagine if such a thing happened to guitars? How fast would poorly made in USA flood the market. Scary.

Texicaster and Telekarster like this.
  7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

Can anyone help me get the worms back in the can?

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

The wood blanks are joined, and the body and neck are cut from the wood in Corona. The necks are put together in Corona. The finishes are sprayed in Corona. The pickups are wound in Corona. The parts are installed in Corona. The guitar is assembled, set up, and inspected in Corona.

Basically, the meat and potatoes of the guitar are actually "built" in the U.S.A., though many components are not. E.g. most of the potentiometers, capacitors, and other run-of-the-mill wiring components are almost certainly not U.S. made. Perhaps some or all of the plastic parts are made overseas, and if not, then many of the raw materials used to make them probably are. The magnet wire and magnets? Who knows; they could come from the U.S.A., or not. Some of the hardware is made here, though I imagine some of it comes from other countries. And, of course, plenty of the raw materials used to make even the things made here come from other countries.

No, but the main components (i.e. neck and body) do.

Yes.

Yes, if by "some parts," you mean small components (e.g. electronics and hardware) that are installed on the main parts of the guitar – not the neck and body.

Not that I know or care anything about Nash...but assuming the bodies and necks are shaped from raw wood in the U.S.A., then I would say yes. However, if they use foreign made bodies and necks, and all they do is apply finish and assemble, then I would say no; they are "assembled in the U.S.A."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  9. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

For a very long time companies could get away with doing a final assembly in the USA and are able to put a Made in USA label on it. There is big money in keeping things this way so I don't think things will change/be enforced. Any company that goes over and above that's great but whatever we feel is right is irreverent.

If you're from North, Central or South America you're an American, I have friends from there that would not call themselves American but people from the US that say the US=American do irritate them.

G.Rotten likes this.
  10. arlum

arlum Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I'm not sure all of the small electronic parts used in an electric guitar have an American manufacturing presence anymore. To me American made means designed and assembled using parts available from U.S. manufactures first and then going to the best product parts only available from outside the U.S. borders. The main idea being a quality instrument that delivers on what we've come to expect from the Made in America label. I also believe "Made in the U. S. A." is the label that should be used. When you look at the total land mass of north and south America the U. S. A. is a minor portion. Any country on either continent has just as much right to use the Made in America label.

Except maybe Texas. ;)

Archtops likes this.
  11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

As I understand it, the bodies and necks could be made and sprayed in Ensenada, and the pickups wound there too, and as long as eveything is assembled in Corona, then it can still be legally called a MIA Fender from Corona. And, I'm pretty sure the tuners, bridges, and all the other hardware and electronics are made overseas under contract.

12. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

Neither you nor I nor anyone else here has ever met anyone who said "I'm an American" and then thought "I bet he's from Argentina".

Sometimes words have a specific generally accepted meaning.

13. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Made in USA is made in America
    Made in Mexico is made in America
    Made in Canada is made in America...

[​IMG]

Regarding parts... IMO, A guitar made in Spain with wood from Spain and parts from Spain is Made in Spain, if has some chinese parts is Assembled in Spain

Masmus likes this.
  14. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

There's a city in Japan called Usa.
    If I recall, at one time they were producing items labelled Made in USA Japan.

El Marin, nojazzhere and Telekarster like this.
  15. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

No, the map is intentionally inaccurate.

"The Americas" (plural) is a historical phrase referring to continents.

"America" (singular) is understood to reference The United States.

16. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

Certain electronic components will probably be manufactured overseas, but at the very least it needs to be assembled and finished within US borders to be MIA. Big bonus points if the materials used are also from within US borders but the assembly and finishing needs to be done there for it to be MIA. My 2c.

17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
    Whatever satisfies your bias

18. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Guitars - they don't make them like they used to, unfortunately.
    Cars - avoid at all costs.
    Electronics - who you tryin' to kid?

19. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

I'm Japanese, and I've never heard about it, so just googled it.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/made-in-usa/

Actually most Japanese people today would prefer made in Japan to made in USA.

televillian, nojazzhere and Archtops like this.
  20. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

You are probably right.

Japanese Telecasters are well regarded here.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.