Please define "Made In America" for me.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
What does it entail/mean if a Fender is Made In America?

Does every part of the guitar have to be manufactured in America?

Does the guitar have to be assembled in America?

Could some parts be made elsewhere, but as long as the guitar is assembled in America, does that fit the definition?

If so, and as I'm not sure if Nash uses all American made components, but regardless, if his guitars are assembled in the US, would a Nash guitar be considered Made In America?
In the decade or so after WWII, "Made in Japan" was shorthand for "Absolute C**P". There were stories around that a "city" in Japan was established for manufacturing, and that city was named "America". That allowed them to make products "legitimately" labeled Made in America.
Never heard confirmation on that, and of course, items made in Japan later came to mean the absolute best anywhere. In the guitar world, The Japanese-made Fenders I've owned were as good (and maybe better) than any made state-side. This kind of label means NOTHING IMHO. ;)

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

Could some parts be made elsewhere, but as long as the guitar is assembled in America, does that fit the definition?

If so, and as I'm not sure if Nash uses all American made components, but regardless, if his guitars are assembled in the US, would a Nash guitar be considered Made In America?

As my psychologist brother might say,

"What do you think?"

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
In the decade or so after WWII, "Made in Japan" was shorthand for "Absolute C**P". There were stories around that a "city" in Japan was established for manufacturing, and that city was named "America". That allowed them to make products "legitimately" labeled Made in America.
Never heard confirmation on that, and of course, items made in Japan later came to mean the absolute best anywhere. In the guitar world, The Japanese-made Fenders I've owned were as good (and maybe better) than any made state-side. This kind of label means NOTHING IMHO. ;)
Wasn’t there a Japanese city named Yusa that was a manufacturing center?

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
In this context, "America" is shorthand for "The United States of America." 100% of the time. "America" is never shorthand for North America. Neither Canadians or Mexicans would ever refer to their products as "Made in America." No one from overseas would ever say "I'm traveling to America" when going to Canada.

No Central or South American company would refer to their products as "Made in America," either.

I understand that and agree, I'm just saying technically this is one of those cases where what's always been done is wrong. Doesn't matter to me.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I like mossberg shotguns. (Well yes. I am a fan of the 500) but their maverick line (great value for cost) but manufactured in Mexico but ASSEMBLED here in Texas. Haha.

All my firearms are 100% made in USA. Alchemy and Daniel Defense.

It's amazing you can get a firearm that's actually 100% created by one guy for <$3000. Geez a 1911 is WAY harder to make than a Telecaster! It's a danged Master Built for $3000!

Check out Alchemy if you've not heard of them! 100% Made In USA!

https://alchemy1911.com/product/prime/

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
In this context, "America" is shorthand for "The United States of America." 100% of the time. "America" is never shorthand for North America. Neither Canadians or Mexicans would ever refer to their products as "Made in America." No one from overseas would ever say "I'm traveling to America" when going to Canada.

No Central or South American company would refer to their products as "Made in America," either.

Nailed it. We don't have to do verbal gymnastics to pretend that someone said "America" when what they meant was "North America". Any informed opinion would have said "North America" for the continent rather than "America".

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
https://umgf.com/martin-no-longer-made-in-usa-t186423.html

Not Fender, but an actual legal definition happened that affected Martin. Since the woods weren't from the US they were no longer able to use "Made in USA" and switched to "Made in Nazareth, PA"

Yeah, that's an example of lawyering--the woods aren't from Nazareth, PA either.

I'm not saying Martin should have done anything differently. I'm just saying that all of us that put serious thoughts into these things should start insisting that "words have specific meanings" and not tolerate people who'd like to bend those meanings because it fits some sort of agenda. Martins are considered by the guitar-buying public to be an American brand (and not a North American brand).

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's

Im pretty sure that different states in the USA have different laws about that
https://umgf.com/martin-no-longer-made-in-usa-t186423.html

Not Fender, but an actual legal definition happened that affected Martin. Since the woods weren't from the US they were no longer able to use "Made in USA" and switched to "Made in Nazareth, PA"
That's why American Fenders now say "Corona, California" instead of "Made in USA."

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's

in latin america, the USA is los estados unidos, not america. they take that semi-seriously. yes, they would never refer to their products as "Made in America" but also have beef with the USA calling itself "america."

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
in latin america, the USA is los estados unidos, not america. they take that semi-seriously. yes, they would never refer to their products as "Made in America" but also have beef with the USA calling itself "america."

I get that, and I kind of agree with them, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Digiplay

Tele-Afflicted
It really should be "Made in the USA".

America is a continent (not a country) on which Canada and Mexico also reside.

View attachment 910971

So products made in Canada or Mexico are also made in America....................................................

Say that one more time G.Rotten :)

So a MIM Fender guitar is in reality a MIA Fender guitar?

Jerry

PS
I truly and sincerely like your logic, sounds good to me!